TCF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Toyota Camry Forums? Ask. Have a suggestion to better TCF? Tell us here.

transmission oil replacement risk or no risk

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 03:02 PM
Default transmission oil replacement risk or no risk

Hello, I have a isseu whit my garage; they find the risk to big to chance the transmission oil
How great is the risk of problems after replacement of the transmission oil?
The machanic considders the risk of clogging after replacement very large.
is the camry 2.2 automattic (2001) sensitive to these kinds of problems?

(I hope that my Englisch is not to bad)

yours sincerely
Rob Wapperom
The Netherlands

Old 12-14-2017, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to CF.

How long do you plan to keep the car before replacing it?

When was the transmission fluid last changed (miles)?

What color is the transmission fluid. Red, reddish, brown, black?

Old 12-15-2017, 02:53 PM

Thank you, the answers on your questions; I buyed te car 5 months ago and wil is keep it for manny years. (J am a small collector)
I have no historie from this car, but he has driven 170000miles
The color of the fluid is light brown, I did the blottertest (find this yesterday on the internet) and the oil spread out verry fast and there is no burnt smell.

I hope that this make sense to you.

Rob Wapperom

Old 12-15-2017, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Understand the blotter test.

Brown is better than dark brown or black. Black being if the trans fluid has a LOT of miles on it.

As to changing the fluid or not, it's a matter of opinion.

When the trans fluid wears and is exposed to heat. It loses its ability to accomplish its job. The trans filter is also a screen not a media filter like an oil filter.

Over time the fluid becomes contaminated with internal trans debris due to wear. Much of this settles at the bottom of the trans pan but some remains suspended. The trans clutch plates have a gripping material on them.

Over time and more so with worn trans fluid acting on them, this material wears off. The trans valve system, seals, etc. will have a varnish build up.

The theory of not changing the old fluid is based the assumption that new fluid and or a transmission flush will cause issues.

Trans fluid is highly detergent. New fluid could cause the debris and varnish to break free. The result being plugging of valve ports.

Old trans fluid may enough grit to work with worn clutch plates and allow proper trans operation. New trans fluid has no grit and will wash the clutch plates clean of any debris to aid plate gripping. The result can be clutch slipping.

Some commercial trans fluid flush machines use chemicals or reverse the flow of the trans fluid. This can cause debris and vanish to get where it should not be.

The result of all of the above is the trans starts to slip or otherwise fails soon after the trans fluid is changed. The shop may not want to be held responsible if this happens.

Yet, if the trans fluid is never changed, sooner rather than later it will fail.

There other ways to change the trans fluid. One being to use a machine that adds fluid under minimal pressure as the old flows out.

This can also be accomplished by disconnecting the trans fluid output hose from the radiator trans cooler. Then allowing it to flow into a container. Once a couple of quarts flows out. The engine is stopped and the trans topped off with new fluid. This is done until the fluid coming out is clear.

Prior to doing this, the trans pan is dropped, cleaned and filter changed.

One can also just drop the pan, etc. then do trans pan oil changes. A large number of changes over time will replace most of the fluid.

The torque converter holds approximately 2/3 of the trans fluid, the pan 1/3.

Given the fluids condition which is still brown. Suggest doing either a trans pan change or minimal pressure route.

The trans also has a separate differential housing holding trans fluid.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:44 AM

Thanks for the extensive explanation, I consider making the choice to change the filter and clean the crankcase pan.
and to change all oil.
Can you also advise me what kind of European oil I can best use?
and are there also percentages knowing how often it goes wrong among the members of the Camry club?
Regards;
Rob Wapperom

Old 12-16-2017, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

An indication of trans condition can be provided by examining the debris in the trans pan. There will always be some soft debris as the clutches have fiber material. If excessive debris or metal this is not good.

There are several magnets at the bottom of the pan to retain metal. Clean the magnets and put them back in the same location.

Dexron III was specified for the trans. This should be stamped on the trans dipstick. This fluid was widely used including in many European trans.

Dexron III was replaced by Dexron VI around 2005. Its a proprietary fluid by General Motors.

There are a host of products out there that also be used.

Shell makes an ATF Dexron III Mercon. Chevron/Havoline makes something called AFT MD3 (I use this).

If unsure, state to whoever you are obtaining the fluid from you want a replacement for Dexron III. The containers label will state what it compatible with.

There are many trans fluids out there used for different trans and not all are same. Get the right one.

The differential housing takes the same fluid as trans.

Don't know about successes with trans fluid changes on high mileage fluid trans. Only failures which are the ones that post with complaints. These are few and far between.

Have never experienced a trans failure due to changing the fluid. But ever flush a trans! Just replace the old fluid with new as gently as possible.

Have seen a number of trans fail due to what consider never changing the fluid. Some because makers stated they used so called life time fluid. Typical trans replacement cost was over $4K (US).

You can also inquire at the Toyotanation.com website. Much larger and covering all Toyota products. Would assume you will get the same opinions. Some members stating its OK, others no.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:49 PM

Hello, it takes some time but we changed the transmissions oil compleet with filter
and booked good results,
the car is shifted better than befor.

Thanks!
Rob Wapperom

Old 03-29-2018, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting back with positive results.