DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

A140E Tranny Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Default A140E Tranny Problems

I have a 87 Camry S/W, 2.0 eng, a140e tranny. Two problems with tranny.
When i drive in 'Drive' it winds way up in 1st before it will shift, then i have to ease off the throttle for it to shift up. Then it slides thru 2nd std. into 2nd over. It shifts normally from there. It will down shift normally except for 2nd. if i step down too hard it will drop all the way to 1st, even at 50 mph. Not good. The pressure cable is adjusted accurately. Pressure problem? Tranny has been flushed, added a bottle of Trans-X, ran it for about 300 miles. Drained the pan, removed it, replaced the filter, and both shift solenoids. Same problems. Disconnected the electrical for full manual mode and have normal 1st, and 3rd. 2nd goes right to 2nd over, no 2nd std. 3rd will shift back and forth between std and over (hydraulic). Overall in normal mode it shifts fine except for missing 2nd std and it's a big jump from 1st to 2nd over.Any one have any ideas?
Thanks Kerry

Old 01-12-2017, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Check for any transmission codes.

Can you turn off the O/D to prevent shifting between 3rd and O/D?

If no 2nd on manual control could be something in the valve body.

Did you find any metal or fiber debris in the pan or on filter?

Old 01-12-2017, 08:57 PM

Ok, where to start. No metal debris. Lockup o/d works fine. 3rd gear standard and hydraulic o/d works fine. 2nd gear is automatically in hydraulic o/d. Can't get it to go into standard and then to hyd. o/d. In manual mode with electronics disconnected 1st gear is 1st. 2nd gear is hyd. o/d only. 3rd gear is both and will shift back and forth depending on speed and throttle. Back in electronic mode it is the same.
I'm just missing 2nd gear standard.
And the throttle pressure kick down seems real touchy, works too quick even with the cable adjusted where they say to put it.
45 50 mph and i step down on the throttle to drop down a gear to accerate and it will go all the way down to 1st gear instead of 2nd.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:12 PM

there is a volt spec for the (TPS throttle positon sensor ) or fit a new one
that gizmo has a lot to do with throttle control

not sure if that model has a pedal kick down pressure switch and kick down soleniod at the tranny

ik tranny has done a lot of miles ,, internals could be worn ..fit a lower milage used tranny

in the ECM will be stored fault codes .. using the diagnostic plug .. gives you those codes to know where to start looking for the tranny problems

this is the A140E automatics repair manual for reference

diagnosis is from page 72

http://www.turboninjas.com/camry/ax1.pdf

Last edited by dirty hands; 01-12-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:38 PM

I forgot that part. The ECM has no codes that come up. I checked the TPS and voltage steps are within range. Both speed sensors pass the test. In manual mode i can accerate hard and shift back and forth and have no slippage. I'm guessing it's probably in the valve body. Stuck valve or piston maybe?

Old 01-13-2017, 01:23 AM

piston thingys - accumulators.. the 0 rings can leak

you just proved not a electronic fault or shift solenoids

leaves wear and tear...or . mechanical fault
options
automatic gearbox tranny flush perhaps

you could drive the box manual shift when needed till it dies

you can buy a DIY rebuild kit for the whole tranny

worn first or second gear clutch drive and friction discs are up behind the oil pump
gearbox out to fix or replace those clutch packs

Last edited by dirty hands; 01-14-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:26 PM

Nothing slips. Just goes into 2nd over instead of 2nd standard. Although i'm confused about something the factory manual says. In 'manual' mode it indicates that putting the gear lever in 2nd should put you in 3rd gear?? What happened to 2nd? What in the tranny controls the hydraulic o/d? Thanks

Old 01-14-2017, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

The trans has 3 gears plus O/D.

The sequence is 1, 2, 3, O/D.

If you manually put the trans in 2nd when at a stop. When driving the trans should shift from 1st to 2nd, then stay in 2nd.

What happens when the trans is placed in 2nd?

Hydraulic O/D shifting is controlled by hydraulic pressure. Does the car have a switch to turn off the O/D?

When manually shifting gears, the valve body controls shifting. Otherwise the computer control shifting via the electric solenoids.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:03 PM

Yes, it has a switch for the lock-up o/d. But according to the factory manual it also has a hydraulic o/d in 2nd and 3rd gears. This tranny winds up higher in rpm's in 1st gear then goes straight into 2nd over and then into 3 standard and then into 3rd over. All while the o/d switch is off. If i turn that on it will shift again and the rpm drops by another 600-700 rpm.
My concern is the high rpm shift from 1st, then straight into 2nd over.
And if i step down part way on the throttle at 50 mph it will shift all the way down to 1st. Where did 2nd go? The clutches don't slip in manual mode.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:14 PM

info

seen this in the workshop many times

if o/d is on all the time you will burn out the o/d clutch

when O/D burns out the engine will rev out and not drive till O/D switch is turned off

overdrive meant only for high constant speeds say above 70 km/hour ? MPH plus

o/d should be off in traffic and below 70 km /hr

with o/d off the gearbox becomes a normal three speed

the o/d clutch is under a cover at the end of the tranny for easy replacement

Last edited by dirty hands; 01-15-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Quick Reply: A140E Tranny Problems