ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Tail lights issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Default Tail lights issue

My tail lights just went out on me on my way home tonight, was working earlier today.

I'm just wondering if one bulb goes, does all of them stop working as well (kinda like a break in the line)? I'm a little concerned because if this isn't the case, then it's probably more than just replacing a bulb. Plus, I don't think all the bulbs would go out at once. Or could they?

Note: When I hit the breaks, the lights go on. Turn signals work as well. But while driving (as people kept hi-beaming me to let me know), and in park, there is nothing. Like as it would be if the car was turned off.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Tail lights issue

check your fuses. and just for kicks i'd pop out a bulb to see if one of the two fillaments are blown.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:51 AM

Thanks, I'll give those a go. Post back what happens.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:25 PM

Checked the fuses, didn't see a specific one for tail lights, just headlights. And that fuse is okay. Is there a fuse specifically for the rear lights? If so, what name would it be under? I just don't want to start unplugging all the fuses.

I tried removing one of the bulbs from the trunk lid, the one you turn is stuck, and I can't turn it counter clockwise. And the other looks like it's a clip, but that one is a bitch to remove as well. Even tried using pliers. I'm afraid of exerting anymore force, and end up breaking something. I'm going to have another crack at it.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:27 PM

P.S. I just noticed that the license plate light doesn't work either. But the reverse light does. So the only thing working right now is reverse light, signals, and break lights. I'm really hoping that by replacing one bulb (or two should there be that many bulbs burnt out) will fix the problem. I hope it's not a bad wire somewhere along the line.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:43 PM

So I checked all the bulbs in the back, and they are all fine (by the way, those are worst bulbs to get at. You either need really tiny fingers, or you can contort your arms and hands to any position). Checked all the normal fuses along where the headlight , horn, radio, etc... fuses are, and they are fine too. Didn't bother checking those big block ones.

I think there may be a short somewhere along the line. I'm hoping this is not the case, as I have no clue where to start in fixing this problem. I'm hoping I may have over looked something else.

Anymore input would be of great help. Much appreciated.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

dang i hate electrical problems...
Do your front sidemarkers light up?

Mostlikely you're in for a somewhat expensive repair. I'd be very careful doing electrical by yourself.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:07 PM

I was afraid you were going to say something like that.

When you say "sidemarkers", are you referring to the amber lights? If so, I've never seen them light up since I bought the car (but the tail lights were working till only a couple of days ago). All the other front end lights work fine, signals, hazzards, hi-beam, and park.

Hopefully this may produce some good news?

Old 07-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Well the parking lights are the front amber lights that turn orange when you signal/hazard, but glow a lighter orange when the headlights turn on too. If they do not glow then you may have a larger problem. If they do, then i think theres a short somewhere going to the rear of the car.

If i find some time i can look in my haynes manual...otherwise u can find a store or a dealership and look at one yourself...hopefully they'll have an open one! haha

Old 07-03-2007, 12:25 PM

I believe they do glow a lighter orange. Unless it's just illuminated from the headlights. But what I have noticed, is that when testing my turn signals, the right amber shines more prominant than the left one. You can actually see the amber part light up bright. The left side, the signal is on but the amber isn't so bright, like it's just absorbing the light from the clear side of the corner light.

My corner lights are a little different from yours (according to your pic). Yours is all amber on the corner (or mostly amber). My corner lights is clear on the first half and a bit, and amber on the remaining area, but incased as one piece.

I have the Haynes manual as well, but only saw a section under electrical, about replacing the bulbs. Not much else.

Quick Reply: Tail lights issue