General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 09-01-2015, 03:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

2012 Camry: How To Check Transmission Fluid Level?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Default 2012 Camry: How To Check Transmission Fluid Level?

Sorry if obvious question, we just bought a 2012 Camry SE.

Perhaps I'm just a dip that can't find the dipstick :>

Reading through manuals and documentation, interesting detail was the procedure to check the automatic transmission fluid seemed to be missing from the Owners Manual.

I might be looking too much into this, but how do you check the transmission fluid on the new 2012 Camry?

What I was expecting was there to be a transmission dipstick. Maybe I can't find it. There now seems to be a non metal tube coming out of the transmission with a plastic cap on the top of it, which would perhaps be the location of the transmission dipstick on previous models. I'm guessing the need to check transmission fluid might be coming less and less of a requirement with new technology, so the method to check becomes less prevalent in the engine compartment.

I'm guessing to now check transmission fluid it might be more of a dealer option. Any details on how to check please advise.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

The trans does not have a dipstick.

The trans has a side filler plug. Fluid is installed until it runs out the filler hole.

Toyota requires the trans be operated first to heat the fluid up to a certain temp before checking.

The trans uses a Toyota branded synthetic fluid. If ever adding or changing the fluid yourself make sure you use the correct fluid. In theory the fluid is supposed to last for 100K plus miles.

Last edited by toyomoho; 01-22-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the info Joey. Amazing that it would be 100k designed replacement. Just one day in to purchase so looks like I have lots of time to think about 100k transmission fluid :>

Old 01-22-2012, 04:16 PM

and it will not. I have 07 TCH with "lifetime" CVT fluid, and almost everyone I know from TCH forums, already had it replaced at 40-50 000 miles. Some reported it coming out with metal shavings. mine was ok, slightly darkened, but I did it anyway. now, keep in mind, mine is CVT, which is no shifting, fluid is simple lubricant for wet clutch surfaces. yours is running that fluid to its highest challenge. I'd have it changed at 50-60 000 no matter what. I can shoot you link to my write up on "know how", quite easy indeed.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Old 01-22-2012, 05:07 PM

@ukrkoz, thanks very much for the detail and photos on the '07. This is our first day with our new '12 Camry so much appreciated. I had 4wd SUV before this so am used to changing differential fluid, this looks similar to that overall process. I'm wondering how different the '07 change process would be to the '12 but looks like I've got plenty of time to figure it out. The interesting thing about the '07 versus the '12 from the pictures is it looks like the engine compartment setup might be (?) a bit different - your '07 pictures have the brake fluid reservoir on a different side of the engine than it is on the '12. Well anyways thanks, I am just getting my bearings.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:09 PM

...or it could be the TCH (Hybrid) versus non-hybrid - on the brake reservoir in different areas...guess I'll figure it out with time :>

Old 01-22-2012, 05:21 PM

@ukrkoz...one last question; from the pictures - I see the drain fitting, but not the fill fitting. is there a picture on the photobucket list that shows the fill fitting. I'm guessing also that crush washers must be used, example here: Amazon.com: Fragola Aluminum Crush Washers, 10 Pack, 12mm: Automotive Thanks

Old 01-22-2012, 10:26 PM

if you will be able to see drain plug, you will see filler plug. filler plug must be opened first. it's up on case, very hard to take picture of. plugs are only few inches apart height wise.
best way to refill is using my contraption. virtually impossible to pour fluid from underneath. I had pump handy, but funnel with long tube worked just fine.
sorry, I am cheap. for job done every 50 000 miles, I simply reused original washers. I never had issues with them going bad. besides, they are a buck or two at any parts store anyway. why bother with Amazon. I prefer copper ones.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:31 PM

Quick Reply: 2012 Camry: How To Check Transmission Fluid Level?