General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rebuilt 5sfe oil pressure problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Default rebuilt 5sfe oil pressure problems

i just rebuilt the 5sfe 4 cyl for my 96 camry, i dont seem to be getting oil topside. the pump seems to be working there is oil in the filter and i am getting a mist of oil off the cams although it doesnt seem to be alot. the oil pressure light is on and when i cranked it up without the oil press sending unit in it there is no oil to the sender. HELP.......

thanks shane

Old 05-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

If the oil pump system is working OK you should be able to crank the engine (ign system disconnected) until the oil pressure builds up and the oil pressure light goes out. If you can't do this you have a problem.

If you can not do the above to build up oil pressure DON'T start the engine!!!!!!!!!

The oil to the cams will go up through the head and out the journal bearings.

When you installed the parts did you: install the oil bypass valve and spring housed inside the larger oil pump housing, secured the oil pump pick up tube to the larger housing so that is it is sealed and has no leaks, had a clean oil pump pick up screen, installed the oil pump gears so that the dots on each of the two gears were facing the same direction?

If the engine was cleaned were the oil passages also cleaned and any plugs reinstalled.