General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will regular oil hurt my 07 camry?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Default will regular oil hurt my 07 camry?

I have a 2007 Camry with 9,000 miles. The dealer told me to get an oil change every 5K, and that synthetica oil was not at all neccesary. I went at 3K miles (force of habit) and the man at the chain oil shop said that I had to use synthetic oil. It was $60. I was wondering if I had to use synthetic oil if I change it every 3K miles.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: will regular oil hurt my 07 camry?

Good question, heres an answer to your question.

Newer cars recommend 5K change intervals vs. older cars that said 3K. This is because supposedly engines are cleaner and what not. 5k is under light and very normal driving conditions, if you operate your vehicle in severe conditions they still recommend 3K. keep in mind this is with normal oil, not synthetic blends or synthetics.

Unless you send your oil in for an oil analysis, the color of the oil will not dictate the life left in the oil, but most of us associate a dark colored oil with a need for an oil change, which isnt a bad thing.

Anyways, people who own cars for over a decade will simply tell you that keeping up with oil changes is most important. So with regular oil you may as well go 3K.

Synthetics are better for longer change intervals and do tend to keep your engine running cleaner and smoother, but unless you change it yourself or get a good deal, its a major rip at most shops.

So since you're having it done, get the oil and filter changed every 3000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

If you ever begin to take your camry to the track or other race events, then start using synthetics for extra protection and heat tolerance.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:46 PM

Is this a 4 cylinder or v6 ? This is kind of odd , but toyota requires(or strongly urges)synthetic on the 4-cyl , but the v6 can use either. anyway regardless of enginei would say pay the extra for synthetic ,
here is one example among many
"I'll explain. I took our long-term 2007 Toyota Camry V6 in for service this morning. The car's MAINT REQD (maintenance required) light has been illuminated for the past few days. It comes on every 5,000 miles to remind the owner to have the vehicle serviced. For our car's first scheduled service, an oil change and tire rotation are required. (One interesting tidbit I learned from the service advisor: 2007 four-cylinder Camrys require synthetic oil. Apparently, a lot of Camry owners bringing in their cars for service are surprised by the added cost of synthetic. Camry V6s, by the way,are fine with regular oil.) "

Old 04-22-2007, 06:52 PM

oh and wrong part of forum to post this question https://www.camryforums.com/m_561/tm.htm

Old 02-08-2008, 02:03 PM

Hi! I suggest you follow therecommended maintenanceschedule which printed inyour owner's manual and usegenuine Toyota parts, then your CAMRY will be fine.My 94 CAMRYis 13 years old and still running. Hope this help!