Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Cheapest insurance for a Toyota Camry

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Question Cheapest insurance for a Toyota Camry

Hey guys.
Long story short - I just inherited a '12 Camry from the passing of a friend.

It's sitting in my driveway right now as I've yet to get insurance for it. It won't be my car I drive every day (I need to drive a pickup for work), but I will defnitely drive it on the weekends.

Can you give me some recommendations for who to use for the cheapest (yet quality coverage) insurance? Like I said, I won't drive it a lot, so I don't want to get the best possible coverage for it... only the minimum requriements.

I'm checking out this motortrend page -
New 2012 Toyota Camry Cost Of Ownership - Motor Trend Magazine

The thing will cost around $1300/year to insure apparently. I would like to only pay around $900-1000 to insure it. Is this possible?

Old 11-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest also posting at the Toyotanation.com website in the appropriate Camry section. Include where the city/state the car is in as insurance rates vary with location.

If you don't drive much compute your annual miles as this can also make a difference.

Progressive and State Farm (perhaps others) have a plan that connects a data logger to the cars ODBII system. Based on mileage driven and other driving factors insurance rates can be reduced 20-50% over regular rates.

Some states insurance rates are just higher then others and not much one can do.

It pays to shop around as one insurance company may not want your business as conveyed by a high rate quote while another offers the same coverage for a much lower rate. And this may change over time for no rhyme or reason from your standpoint.

As the car was inherited your state may allow transfer to you without paying sales tax, check with the DMV.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:07 PM

thanks toyomoho for the suggestions

I spent all of yesterday getting insurance quotes for my camry

i found that the cheapest car insurance actually came from a website called "for auto insurance quote" at $56/month. unfortunately, they seem to be a really small insurance company and don't know if I can trust them. they dont even have a single yelp review

anyways, i got a bunch of quotes yesterday

Amica - $77/month
All state - $83/month
State Farm - $79/month
Progressive - $79/month
GEICO - $88/month
eSurance - $88/month

Right now, my decision is down between statefarm and amica. both get great reviews.. you suggested state farm (as did others), so I might take a better look at them

will go check out toyota nation now

Old 11-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Have used State Farm.

A few ways to save with auto insurance:

If not already doing so, make sure the quote is based on the car being driven less, weekend car.

Combine all cars you have under one insurance carrier.

Raise collision deductible on the car to $1000 (or whatever the best price break is).

Old 01-18-2014, 12:52 AM

A tough task to evaluate total cost of insurance when you are going for it for the first time. i got some really bad offers and it was an period i want to forget.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:37 AM
Banned

I'm still looking for the cheapest insurance because I'm confuse what car to buy. However, there are severe safety concerns with the existing lithium-ion batteries that are used in electric and hybrid automobiles. However, a research firm claims that it has found a way to make a safer battery that can produce a longer driving range by utilizing a solid electrolyte instead of a liquid one.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:13 AM

Thanks for sharing...

Old 03-11-2016, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Have used State Farm.

A few ways to save with auto insurance:

If not already doing so, make sure the quote is based on the car being driven less, weekend car.

Combine all cars you have under one insurance carrier.

Raise collision deductible on the car to $1000 (or whatever the best price break is).
Thank you very much. Just did a quote but haven't accepted it yet. The rep from GEICO asked which is driven the most, not the least.
The main problem is Florida. There doesn't seem to be a cheap/reasonable enough company that will combine home and car.

Old 04-27-2022, 02:22 PM

Get liability only. Should be much lower cost.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:45 AM

If I were you, I'd get a good accountant to handle the insurance issue, because it could get you into a financial hole, like my friend once did. He got in trouble for a financial disaster with his health insurance and there was a chance he would go bankrupt. My friend didn't give up and contacted the accountants for advice and help with the problem, which they helped him with. This story has a bad beginning and a good end, as he eventually worked it out. The conclusion from this story is this: don't try to figure it out yourself, it's better to visit website with experts, they will help you.

Last edited by loryman; 07-11-2022 at 06:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Cheapest insurance for a Toyota Camry