Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

04 Camry XLE Rear Wheel Hub (Disk Brake)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Default 04 Camry XLE Rear Wheel Hub (Disk Brake)

Trying to replace rear hub assy. Removed four bolts and the whole thing come off. How do I get the hub assy out of the parking brake mounting plate? Tried WD40 and tapping on it. I know it is a tight fit but car has 110k+ on it, so I'm sure there is plenty of rust. Do not see any bolt hols to help push it out. Where could I get a new plate(Toyota dealer I suppose)?

Last edited by eyeblazin; 05-13-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

You are trying to remove the rear disk brake rotor and find it stuck on the axle assy?

As you know the rotor has both a disk section for the main brakes and drum (hub) section for the emergency brake. Most likely the large hole in the drum face is rusted to the axle assy flange.

The rotor slides over the wheel lugs and is held in place by the rim and lug nuts. There are no screws or bolts holding it to the axle assy. Try using a penetrating fluid instead of WD-40.

If you know someone with a welding torch or larger propane torch heat the around the large hole in the drum face to expand it and break it away from the axle assy flange.

Hit the drum area around the large hole in the drum face with a brass hammer to break it free.

An internet search will find more suggestions on removing a stuck rotor/drum. Search under "removing a stuck rear brake hub". You are essentially trying to remove a stuck brake hub or drum which is a common problem.

If the rotor/drum is free to move but will not come off the axle assy you may need to retract the emergency brake shoes. Remove a rubber plug on the drum face where the wheel studs are to access the parking brake shoe adjustment mechanism (looks like a star wheel). Rotate the star wheel down to retract the shoes.

Not sure what you mean by needing a new plate.

Last edited by toyomoho; 05-12-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:10 AM

I got the disk off I am trying to get the bearing hub assy off. When I removed the four bolts holding it on, the parking brake mounting plate and dust cover all came off with it. It looks like I will need to take it to work and press the hub assy out of the mounting plate if I want to replace it.
I put (disk brake) in description so people would not think it was drum brakes that I was working on.
Guess I could have put rear bearing hub in description so as to not confuse.

thnx for reply

Old 05-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

As you state would assume the flange on the bearing hub assy is frozen to the hole in the backing plate by rust as it should come off much easier.

If car does NOT have ABS you could position the complete assy with brake shoes facing down and contacting wood blocks then position a large diameter wood dowel against the flange area of the bearing assy and hit it with a large hammer. Applying heat to the backing plate area around the flange may also work but not too hot as it is thin sheet metal.

If the car has ABS the sensor is located inside the flange and the above will not work.

I take it you are wanting to replace the bearing assy.

You could use a long punch or wood dowel inserted through the flange bolt holes and contacting the actual hub having the wheel studs. The hit it, rotating the position of the punch or dowel into anther bolt hole after a few hits.

Or have someone hold the brake/backing plate while you hit the side of the actual hub with a hammer.

Or someone may have a slide hammer. Have someone hold the brake/backing plate while the slide hammer is used to pull the bearing assy out of the backing plate.

Suggest mounting the shoes against wood block instead of backing plate as the plate is thin sheet metal and will bend.

Last edited by toyomoho; 05-13-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:36 PM

Thnx for the tips.
I will post how I make out. May be a couple days till I can get to work on it again.