Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Appearance (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/appearance-10/)
-   -   headlight cloudy (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/appearance-10/headlight-cloudy-2275/)

janet 08-21-2007 06:30 PM

headlight cloudy

Does anyone know of any home cleaning solutions I can use to clean by front headlight plastic covers. They are very cloudy and before I spend too much money on new ones I am willing to try something cheaper.
96 Camry

Bansy 08-21-2007 10:02 PM

RE: headlight cloudy

I'm not sure how safe this is for camry headlights but I've done it with celica headlights so I'm willing to say it's probably just as safe. Get a hairdryer and set it to the hottest setting and try to see if that doesn't clear up the condensation. Just aim at the effected areas. If by cloudy you don't mean condensation, you should be able to open up the headlights and just clean them with your hands. This will take longer and as a camry owner i should know this but since I just started getting into it, i don't but you MAY have to take off the front bumper to get the headlights off. I would probably just invest in new headlights because this haze in your headlights will just keep coming back if the headlight has bad seals.

Black95Cam 08-22-2007 01:23 AM

try mcguire plastX. for mine it works but after a few weeks i have to re-apply..

janet 08-22-2007 11:43 AM

Thanks for the tips

Black95Cam 08-22-2007 03:50 PM

your welcome. good luck.

SherwinCuppy 08-24-2007 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Black95Cam

try mcguire plastX. for mine it works but after a few weeks i have to re-apply..

i use it too...

boogz 08-28-2007 01:43 AM

I actually just bought some plastX just a couple of days ago and it seems to work really well. I put some on after i wash my car and then re-apply the day after.

Viktor 08-30-2007 06:38 PM

My friend's mustang had the same problem. The headlights turned piss yellow after so much use. What he did was he wetsanded them down with 400grit, then 1500grit, and finaly 2000grit and then he buffed them and put some wax. I can say that he saved himself about $200 bucks.

boogz 09-02-2007 04:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Viktor

My friend's mustang had the same problem. The headlights turned piss yellow after so much use. What he did was he wetsanded them down with 400grit, then 1500grit, and finaly 2000grit and then he buffed them and put some wax. I can say that he saved himself about $200 bucks.
My friend did exactly the same thing to his headlights on his supra and they turned out very nice. I would have to say that if the plastix dosent work you can also try the wetsand as a last resort.

janet 09-04-2007 06:04 PM

What do you mean when you "wetsand".

Viktor 09-05-2007 04:08 AM

sand off the headlights with sandpaper from the outside while you keep them wet. Start with more aggressive grit like 600 or 800 and finish with fine 2000+ grit. Then buff them with a scratch and swirl remover. 95% of the time it works every time lol. If it doesn't work your headlights won't look any worse than they did before.

janet 09-05-2007 03:04 PM

ok. thanks

janet 10-16-2007 05:08 PM

Hey, Just bought the PlasticX and it works just fine.

Thanks for the tips.

Jakster 11-14-2007 11:06 PM

Is the problem sun crazing they call it or moisture inside. If it is sun crazing get some 2000 grit sand paper wet type and lots of water and sand until they are clear. You could sand for a whole day and not hurt the lense with 2000 grit as long as you keep it wet wet wet. I have used it on allot of clear plastic and it works wonders. This also works on boat hatches and plastic wind shields.

Camrymodder 03-14-2008 09:44 AM

Is it the face of them is clouded by use or is there condensation inside? If its waterinside remove the light and get some rubbing alchohol and mix it at about 75%alc. 25% water (you only need about a cup of the mix). Remove your bulb pour it in the lightand slosh it around. This will pick up any debris inside the lens and having the alchohol in the mix will allow the lamp to dry out really fast and has less chance of water spots after ur done. If it is cloudy because of use one of the easiest things to do is buy some gojo or other grease remover from a local auto parts store (try and find one thats not extremely gritty in texture, but some cheap waxing pads or a good buffball and just work the grease remover into the plastic a bit. Clean it off and see how well it worked if you need to then you can reapply another coat and polish it up some more, then shine htem with some car wax to remove any of the minor spots from the degreaser if there are any and it should look as good as new! Also it will only cost you about 15 bucks and ull only use like 1/15 of the degreaser so ull have it when u need it later!

diver1972 03-14-2008 12:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Black95Cam

[sm=thanx.gif]Do you apply it on the outside surface only, inside surface only, or both?

Camrymodder 03-19-2008 03:22 AM

With plastX you only apply it to the outside of the light.

diver1972 03-27-2008 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Camrymodder

With plastX you only apply it to the outside of the light.
Thanks!:)