Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   Spark Plug not coming off ...Need Help Fast (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/spark-plug-not-coming-off-need-help-fast-40548/)

cjsmith0703 04-19-2012 06:36 PM

Spark Plug not coming off ...Need Help Fast

Hey. I am in process of changing my plugs on 99 camry. 3 of them were fine but I can not get 4th one off. Its closest to passanger side. Anybody got any ideas? The extension does not go down on the last one like it does other 3. Any help? Need to get this one changed

toyomoho 04-19-2012 07:34 PM

Look at the end of the plug wire socket for messing pieces and around the plug for debris. It is possible for the plug wire socket to break down and leave debris around the plug preventing the spark plug socket from going all the way down.

cjsmith0703 04-19-2012 08:28 PM

Ok. I have tried getting debris and had minimal luck. Think I'm gonna get some wd 40 or pb blaster and see if that helps. I searched and noticed that it was a common problem

full house 04-19-2012 10:13 PM

try those, update us here to see if that work.

cjsmith0703 04-20-2012 06:20 AM

I still canot get extension onto plug. I've tried everything I know to do and its still not biting onto plug. It looks to me like plug is bent and to me that would prevent it from going down all the way. Any ideas what I can do with bent plug and how to get it off?

Newton Rox 04-21-2012 01:55 PM

Got 1 Spark plug stuck

Please let us know the resolution on this

This may not pertain but on my 2001 Camry LE 4-banger I once stupidly tried to change the plugs without waiting for plugs to cool down sufficiently. I just as stupidly probably torqued on one plug too hard. It's now locked in. I have another 50,000 miles on the plugs before I probably will need the valve cover or head removed to replace the plug.

Is it OK to wait until it gets to the point where I can start to feel/hear a slight mis-firing? Or would this be Stupid Move #3?

toyomoho 04-21-2012 08:22 PM

A bent plug would be very strange. Find a powerful light to allow actually see the plug. Compare what you see with a plug recently installed.

----------------------------

If the installed plugs were the ones recommended by Toyota (or equivalent) they should last at least 100K miles. The owners manual may state to change sooner but this would most likely be for emissions purposes.

Locked in as the plug will not rotate or rotates but sticks.

ukrkoz 04-22-2012 04:54 PM

1. you sure you do not have something stuck IN THE SOCKET?
2. what do you mean "extension will not go on plug"? extension is simple metal rod. Socket does not? Sockets have simple rubber washer inside, to grab plug tip and secure it inside the socket, when pulling out. It sometimes comes loose and blocks passage inside the socket.
3. plugs don't bend. it's porcelain, not metal. they crack and break.
4. find long tweezers, but, 1st of all, do shine light inside plug tube. you may have some debris around plug tip.

wenreder 04-24-2012 11:52 AM

Did you get the plug out ??

Did you get the spark plug out ?? Would you be willing to bring it to a Toyota Dealer to have them get it out ??

full house 04-25-2012 10:24 PM

I think I need a guide on this, I have almost same problem any update on this?