Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   1988 Camry Check Engine Light (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/1988-camry-check-engine-light-1988/)

Doiche 07-09-2007 08:18 AM

1988 Camry Check Engine Light

Good morning,

Saying hello from the great state of Georgia.

I have a 1988 Camry LE, 175,000 miles, 4 cylinder, automatic, 1 owner. Recently the check engine light came on and when I took the car to have the emissions done, it failed. Of course it did. The usual 02 sensor problem. My brother and I checked the code and was given a code 21--02 sensor. He has installed two and the light persists. Here is my issue: The light comes on and goes out.It doesn't come on and stay. Could this be some kind of short in the system? If so, what should I have him look for? You would think if the light doesn't stay on, we wouldn't be able to get a reading, but it blinks code 21 each time. What can be done to make the light stay on?

We know how to clear the code and have done that by removing the ECI fuse and putting it back--we have done the battery thing by removing the negative--we have done the gas cap thing and the problem will not go away.

My retest expires the first of next week and I need to narrow this problem down to why the light won't stay on first. I have not wasted any money on the 02 sensor because it needed to be replaced even if it's not the problem. Please give me some suggestions, if you will.

I only need suggestions as to what may be causing the light not to stay on so that we can get a "good and correct" reading. The check engine light has a mind of its own :-)).

Thanks.

Doiche.

Viktor 07-27-2007 09:20 PM

RE: 1988 Camry Check Engine Light

If I were you I'd take it to the local Toyota dealership and have them do a diagnostics test on it. I'm 90% sure they'll figure out what's wrong.

crazylove 06-06-2012 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Doiche (Post 6830)
Good morning,

Saying hello from the great state of Georgia.

I have a 1988 Camry LE, 175,000 miles, 4 cylinder, automatic, 1 owner. Recently the check engine light came on and when I took the car to have the emissions done, it failed. Of course it did. The usual 02 sensor problem. My brother and I checked the code and was given a code 21--02 sensor. He has installed two and the light persists. Here is my issue: The light comes on and goes out.It doesn't come on and stay. Could this be some kind of short in the system? If so, what should I have him look for? You would think if the light doesn't stay on, we wouldn't be able to get a reading, but it blinks code 21 each time. What can be done to make the light stay on?

We know how to clear the code and have done that by removing the ECI fuse and putting it back--we have done the battery thing by removing the negative--we have done the gas cap thing and the problem will not go away.

My retest expires the first of next week and I need to narrow this problem down to why the light won't stay on first. I have not wasted any money on the 02 sensor because it needed to be replaced even if it's not the problem. Please give me some suggestions, if you will.

I only need suggestions as to what may be causing the light not to stay on so that we can get a "good and correct" reading. The check engine light has a mind of its own :-)).

Thanks.

Doiche.

check engine light on means one or more DTCs stored in your engine control module.i only know OBD2 tool,this tool can't do 1988 Camry LE, maybe you should go to garage repair it.

ThereGraye 01-29-2013 01:42 AM

thank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!