Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/)
-   -   Car shakes on acceleration!! (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/car-shakes-acceleration-52570/)

toyomoho 11-14-2018 10:19 AM

What engine model is this car, 4-cyl or V-6?

If your taking the car back to the dealer for follow up repair, inquire as to just what their plan would be to address the flare issue. In addressing this issue have the dealer confirm your car is covered under the service bulletin for the shutter issue.

Flare can be an issue with the mechanism inside the trans gear housing or software that shifts the gears. Gear shifting is done electronically. A clutch in the trans may be slipping or not engaging at the right time. A valve that controls the clutches may be sticking due to debris. The trans software may not be doing its job correctly.

The engine revs up slightly between shifts (flares) before the trans gear engages.

Shutter can be the torque converter failing to lock up. The converter is located outside the main trans gear box.

See link for explanation of shutter:

AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - What is Torque Converter Shudder

WhiteCam12 11-15-2018 02:02 PM

The car has 4 Cyl engine. I have called Toyota and complained about my issue. They called the dealer and they will call me back again in a couple days to schedule an appointment for further check in the same dealer. Besides the follow-up repair, I will explain that the car doesn't have any flare (That's the truth, I don't see any flare on the gauge in the dashboard when shifting 2nd to 3rd gear). Also, I will ask for an estimate for fixing it. Paper I got from the dealer address that my car is covered under the warranty for the shutter issue AFTER I fix the flare issue on my own. Thanks.

toyomoho 11-16-2018 09:46 AM

Go for a drive with the Toyota tech and have them demonstrate the flare. Youtube has videos of shift flare, review these first.

It can be challenging to get some dealers to do an in depth (and expensive) warranty repair.

Try to determine if the dealer is really trying to solve the issue or just shinning you on to pass repair cost to you.

WhiteCam12 11-16-2018 11:43 AM

I have reviewed many shift flare youtube videos. I will try to do my best when I go there. Thank you!.

WhiteCam12 11-29-2018 01:49 PM

UPDATE: I have called Toyota and the Dealer many times, and finally I have talked to the Service Manager at the Dealer over the phone. He said that my car has a flare when it shifts 2nd to 3rd gear (the car shakes and jump when shifts 2nd to 3rd gear and I am not sure if we call that flare!!), and I have to fix that first before they can do the enhancment warranty, and they can not do the warranty now because this flare may cause the same isse for the torgue converter after they fixed it. I tried to explain that this flare is because the torge converter issue but he denied that. He said that I need to replace the whole transmittion before they apply the warranty. Guys let me know if you have any advice for me.

toyomoho 12-01-2018 11:29 AM

Then the dealer thinks the issue is something within the transmission and not with the torque converter. A chicken or egg coming first theory.

What has the dealer proposed to do about this other then replace the trans?

Might take the car to a third party trans shop, let them drive the car and their opinion. Don't express your thoughts upfront. State the car seems to shift/drive funny or something to that effect.

Can try another Toyota dealer or engage Toyota customer service to seek help from the dealer rep.

WhiteCam12 12-01-2018 01:05 PM

As I mentioned earlier, the Service Manager things that I need to replace the trans, after that they can apply the enhancement warranty. I already called Toyota and they connected me again with the Dealer. I already took the car to a couple mechanics and the only they say that trans has an issue and need to be replaced.

mdgreg101 01-17-2021 09:52 AM

2012 Toyota Camry LE Transmission (U760E) Shudder

I am so sorry for your loss. You like me bought a white elephant. I to went to the dealership to get my transmission shudder taken care of. My 2012 Toyota Camry LE has 96K miles on it as of this post and needs a rebuilt transmission ($4000) at a local transmission shop or replaced with remanufactured at Toyota ($7200). If I would have driven it more miles my transmission would have gotten worse to the point where I would have taken it back to the dealer like you did several times. Your posting and this thread shows me that even if I would have gone back I probably would not have gotten them to replace the torque converter under WEN ZE5 like they were supposed to. The faulty transmission U760E shows that they are building things cheaper and less reliable and issuing LSC E03 at the same time issuing WEN ZE5 and then not even doing WEN ZE5 after they have admitted the issue proves that you can no longer expect reliability on any level from Toyota.Please reply back to the current status of your Camry. Update the issue and post current mileage. Please also post date and times of repairs. If you go to my post you should be able to find my whole story as to what happened to me. I am posting it under 2012 Toyota U760E Transmission Shudder ALL TOYOTA OWNERS READ.

Live free or buy a new Toyota!