Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/)
-   -   Wrecked 1997 toyota camry (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/engine-internal-13/wrecked-1997-toyota-camry-37989/)

jessee 02-09-2011 02:56 PM

Wrecked 1997 toyota camry

Edit: This is a 1997 Camry xle forgot that lol...

Ok, so last night I let my friend go run an errand in my car, and he was in an hit and run accident. So the story goes he had the green light, and the guy ran the red light. He tagged the back of their car and the guy took off. Anyway, it got towed because it wouldn't start so I went and got it out of the tow lot today. I had to push it out and leave it on the street because it wouldn't start. The engine cranked up and everything, just wouldn't start. I've hear that it's possible that a fuel shut off switch initiates when it's in a crash to prevent a fire. Any possible fixes you guys know of? Here some pictures of the aftermath
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/8530/aftermathi.png

Also I got uninsured motorist on my insurance, will a hit and run accident be covered? Thanks guys

toyomoho 02-09-2011 09:18 PM

This car does not have a crash shutoff relay.

Depending on the engine type and year there is typically a two pronged safety system involving a few relays. The main relay is called the circuit opening relay (COR) located behind the glove box. This relay controls power to the fuel pump.

When the engine is cranking over during starting a circuit is closed that engages one solenoid coil on this relay to close it. When the engine starts another circuit senses this via either the ignition igniter or MAF sensor and a second solenoid engages to keep the relay closed.

If the engine is not running or cranking power to the fuel pump is cut off.

Check for ign spark. If OK check for fuel getting into the cylinders via the injectors (plugs are wet).

Check all fuses, battery connections, fusible links, etc.

As to insurance, not an agent. Before calling suggest you read your policy. Determine if it covers the car when someone else is driving it. Uninsured motorist is typically for injuries. Someone hits you, your injured. They can't pay, your insurance will pay up till the amount covered by the insurance policy. Hit and run would be covered for injuries.

Collision insurance is what typically covers car damage. If you have this type of insurance and the person causing the crash can't pay, your insurance pays.

Check about premium increases as a claim typically over a certain dollar amount can result in higher insurance rates.

jessee 02-09-2011 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 61571)
This car does not have a crash shutoff relay.

Depending on the engine type and year there is typically a two pronged safety system involving a few relays. The main relay is called the circuit opening relay (COR) located behind the glove box. This relay controls power to the fuel pump.

When the engine is cranking over during starting a circuit is closed that engages one solenoid coil on this relay to close it. When the engine starts another circuit senses this via either the ignition igniter or MAF sensor and a second solenoid engages to keep the relay closed.

If the engine is not running or cranking power to the fuel pump is cut off.

Check for ign spark. If OK check for fuel getting into the cylinders via the injectors (plugs are wet).

Check all fuses, battery connections, fusible links, etc.

As to insurance, not an agent. Before calling suggest you read your policy. Determine if it covers the car when someone else is driving it. Uninsured motorist is typically for injuries. Someone hits you, your injured. They can't pay, your insurance will pay up till the amount covered by the insurance policy. Hit and run would be covered for injuries.

Collision insurance is what typically covers car damage. If you have this type of insurance and the person causing the crash can't pay, your insurance pays.

Check about premium increases as a claim typically over a certain dollar amount can result in higher insurance rates.

Thanks, i'm going to look at it asap :D

jessee 02-13-2011 04:59 PM

Ok, so i can't get it running and i know it haves something to do with the fuel pump. I can't smell any gas even when trying to flood it. It makes no sense though that a crash with no interior damage to ruin the fuel pump. Anyone have any ideas on why it's not starting due to getting no gas? Please I need help bad, taking the bus to college really blows.... :(

toyomoho 02-13-2011 09:40 PM

Try applying DC power directly to the pump. The access cover is under the rear seat lower seat cushion. The wire colors may be blue/black (positive) and white/black (negative).

jessee 02-27-2011 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 61649)
Try applying DC power directly to the pump. The access cover is under the rear seat lower seat cushion. The wire colors may be blue/black (positive) and white/black (negative).

Ok so I finally got enough time to get a tow, and i tried this. I finally heard the pump come on, but before when trying to start the car it wouldn't. However, i had no luck in starting the car. It does that same thing, it will turnover but wont start. Is there any chance it's a relay? All advice and ideas are welcome, and now since the car is in my drive way I can try each asap. Also I can provide pictures on request of whats needed, thanks!

toyomoho 02-27-2011 06:08 PM

Did you check for ign spark?

jessee 02-27-2011 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 61953)
Did you check for ign spark?

Nope, Will do tomorrow when it's light out. Thanks

full house 03-02-2011 08:05 PM

poor Toyota, I'm sure you'll cost a lot to fix the wreck!Good luck buddy!

jessee 03-20-2011 06:56 PM

Hey guys sorry to take so long to get back to you but I had a lot going on. Anyway I made a video to explain my situation a lot more.

YouTube - 1997 toyota camry wreck, easy fix? Help greatly appreciated

toyomoho 03-21-2011 01:07 PM

Have you checked for ign spark at the plug wires yet? Check for spark at all spark plug wires.

Does the car have any type of alarm system such as a Toyota immobilizer? Look on the dash for any blinking red lights.

There is a small plastic box attached to most likely the passengers side strut tower (where the top of the strut bolts to the chassis). Inside the box are electrical terminals. You can use a section of wire or bent paper clip to connect the FP and B+ terminals. This will allow the pump to run when the ign switch is on.

full house 03-21-2011 07:55 PM

its a total wrecked you need to replace everything... I didn't see anything that would be useful anymore...

jessee 03-21-2011 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by full house (Post 62424)
its a total wrecked you need to replace everything... I didn't see anything that would be useful anymore...

Hmm, I dont see it that way, the exterior cosmetic parts wont run me too much at a junk yard, and the engine only has 82xxx miles ony it. Considering the only non-cosmetic damage was the headlight wires being torn up, I don't see why the engine is bad. Has to be a security feature or something not too dramatic, Ill check for engine spark tomorrow after reading up on it. thanks

*I have a transponder key security system

toyomoho 03-21-2011 11:51 PM

Was the battery ever disconnected after the accident?

jessee 03-22-2011 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 62427)
Was the battery ever disconnected after the accident?

Yeah actually the terminals weren't tight enough and were in rough shape, and sometimes actually fell off. After getting the car out of the tow lot someone stole my battery before I got to towing it. So now I actually have a new battery in it.

Also I'm about to read up on how to check for spark and try the paperclip trick. I'll post the results thanks

jessee 03-22-2011 12:50 PM

Edit: after redoing the trick there is spark

toyomoho 03-22-2011 06:57 PM

No red blinking light on the dash for a security system?

jessee 03-22-2011 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 62460)
No red blinking light on the dash for a security system?

No but I found I have the standard security system on it, from a guide I read. I forgot to try the paperclip thing because at first I thought there was no spark. So I'll post my results tomorrow, thanks

Also I heard something about a neutral shutoff switch, any ideas on what that is?

toyomoho 03-23-2011 09:48 AM

The neutral switch prevents the engine from turning over if the trans is not in park, neutral or the clutch is engaged. If the engine is turning over the issue is not these switches.

For the security system, try locking all the doors, then unlocking the drivers door with the key.

jessee 04-02-2011 02:30 PM

Ok so I was looking around today and I've found that my problem can be a relay that's under the hood. Thing is that the relay cost 52$, and there's no way I'd pay that for something that cost maybe a dime to make. So tomorrow I'm going to head out to the junk yards and hopefully that's the problem. I would test it with the meters, but I don't know anyone with the meters so I just gotta do without.

toyomoho 04-02-2011 06:44 PM

You can buy a cheap VOM meter at Harbor Freight for under $5.

jessee 04-03-2011 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 62759)
You can buy a cheap VOM meter at Harbor Freight for under $5.

Okay so today I went out to the junk yard and got some new coils and the relays. Neither helped, but earlier I found out that the car really doesn't have spark. Initially when I did the test I didn't see any spark but my stepdad said he did, well as it turned out I tested it with my hand and there was no spark(shock).

So earlier I broke down and bought a code reader for 130$ and I thought that surely this would diagnose the problem. However It wouldn't connect to my car(physically the plug fit), so I'm guessing when the engine was replace the diagnoses wasn't hooked up or was disabled. The pump also wont power on when my car does, so is there anything that both the pump and spark run parallel off of? It has to be the problem if so. Thanks for reading

toyomoho 04-03-2011 08:12 PM

This is a 1997 Camry sold in the US? If so it should be ODBII compliant.

Where did you try to plug the reader into? There should be an ODBII plug under the dash within 1 foot of the steering column. The link below has a drawing of the plug, its at the end of a harness. Look for the plug. Would be strange for the plug not to be there.

Google Image Result for http://www.obdii.com/images/connectorblue.GIF

The engine was replaced?

The fuel pump will only run when the engine is turning over during starting or when running. Not when the ign key is ON.

For no spark check the following:

All wiring connectors at the ign coils.

Ign wire resistance between ends, should be a max of 25K ohms.

If each coil has two ign wire plugs check resistance between plugs.
Cold 9.7-16.7K ohm, Hot 12/4-19.6K ohm.

Make sure the coils are getting 12V DC at the power wire. The power wires might be Black/Red in color.

If the car has a cam or crank sensor check resistance of the wires at the connectors as follows:

Cam sensor 835-1400 ohm cold, 1060-1645 ohm hot.

Crank sensor 985-1600 ohm cold, 1265-1890 ohm hot.

As stated in prior posts check the dash for a blinking red light (security system). If a light is blinking the car will not start.

The Black/Red wires power a lot of items including fuel pump, ign coils and injectors.

Did you check ALL the fuses such as Ignition, ECU-IG?

jessee 04-03-2011 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 62781)
This is a 1997 Camry sold in the US? If so it should be ODBII compliant.

Where did you try to plug the reader into? There should be an ODBII plug under the dash within 1 foot of the steering column. The link below has a drawing of the plug, its at the end of a harness. Look for the plug. Would be strange for the plug not to be there.

Google Image Result for http://www.obdii.com/images/connectorblue.GIF

The engine was replaced?

The fuel pump will only run when the engine is turning over during starting or when running. Not when the ign key is ON.

For no spark check the following:

All wiring connectors at the ign coils.

Ign wire resistance between ends, should be a max of 25K ohms.

If each coil has two ign wire plugs check resistance between plugs.
Cold 9.7-16.7K ohm, Hot 12/4-19.6K ohm.

Make sure the coils are getting 12V DC at the power wire. The power wires might be Black/Red in color.

If the car has a cam or crank sensor check resistance of the wires at the connectors as follows:

Cam sensor 835-1400 ohm cold, 1060-1645 ohm hot.

Crank sensor 985-1600 ohm cold, 1265-1890 ohm hot.

As stated in prior posts check the dash for a blinking red light (security system). If a light is blinking the car will not start.

The Black/Red wires power a lot of items including fuel pump, ign coils and injectors.

Did you check ALL the fuses such as Ignition, ECU-IG?

Yeah I checked all the fuses and they're okay, but I don't have a meter to check up the relays. Hopefully I can pick one up tomorrow and narrow it down a lot more.

toyomoho 04-03-2011 09:26 PM

Check for the ODBII plug on the car.

Keep in mind the ODBII system does not monitor everything. If it is a power failure, wiring problem, fuel issue, etc the computer will not be checking for this and no codes will show up.

jessee 04-23-2011 09:39 AM

I just figured I'd update everyone, but the problem turned out to be a few shorts according to the mechanic. Anyway my muffler is loud as hell, and I think that's a task I can handle.