Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   07 Camry oil consumption (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/07-camry-oil-consumption-3696/)

jbartlett 05-01-2008 09:48 AM

07 Camry oil consumption

We bought a new 07 Camry in August of 2006. The last time we took it in for an oil change we had noticed the oil was low. My husband had also noticed that when I started the car in the morning a puff of smoke would come out the back. There is no oil leaking on our driveway or in our garage. However, the car was a quart low when we took it in for the oil change. We have always had the oild changed at our dealer. And have faithfully followed the recommendations. The service manager noted on our account that there was a concern and that the oil was low. He told me to bring the car back every 1000 miles and they would check the oil level. Well, the first time we brought it in after the oil change it was a half a quart low. He filled it up and told us to come back again in 1000 miles. Well today I took the car back in. I was over 1000 miles because my scheduled is pretty packed. Anyway, again today it was nearly a quart low. The service manager told me I had to bring it back again in 1000 miles and if it was low again he would make a service request with Toyota and find out what they would/could do. The car now has 28,000 miles on it. Is this normal??? He is telling me that it is normal to use oil between oil changes. We don't agree. Is this normal protocol for Toyota to be so un-caring? We are now beginning to wonder if they are even going to do anything. Any input/suggestions/ideas? Thanks so much.

toyomoho 05-01-2008 12:04 PM

RE: 07 Camry oil consumption

Do you know what specific model engine you have? Does the car have a V6 engine (more then one V6 engine model was offered) or 4 cylinder (only 1 model offered).

Is the cloud coming out the tail pipe during cold starts water vapor (normal), oil or unburned gas. You should be able to smell the differance.

Are you stating the engine requires 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles to bring it back to the full mark?

StoreKeeper 05-01-2008 05:12 PM

I have a 07 Camry V6 with 10,000 mile and never used any oil between changeing it every 3,000 miles

Rx Bruce

pedro 05-01-2008 07:43 PM

I wouldn't get too upset with Toyota or the dealer yet. The dealer needs to document the oil burning and rate. Then he'll have something concrete to take to Toyota. Your rate of loss for a non-leaking engine isNOT normal. Mine looses nothing for 3000mi and I would expect yours to to the same, especially when so new - unless you had an engine problem you did not report to Toyota. Play along for now, get documentation and keep records. Be firm but polite.

turtle02909 05-27-2008 10:00 AM

hi, I have the same problem with my 07 camry Le 4 cyl. low oil. Dealer always change my @ 5000 mile using Mobil 1 Fully Syn. with oem oil filter. To this day they don't know what wrong.
Please let me know what is the outcome of this. I still have warranty on this car and I don't like it when the stealership playing with me saying it is normal.
[align=left] [/align]

Deadly Sushi 05-29-2008 03:38 PM

Well from what I understand some engines burn synthetic oil at higher mileage (100k) but that doesnt seem to be the case here.
Oddly enough, you should check out ForumsForums.com and post in the General open area. There are a few folks that own repair shops.

Badger 07-20-2008 12:44 PM

I have the same situation. I have the 2008 2.4 SE and I Used the recommended 0W-30 Synthetic and ended up losing some somewhere. I know synthetic is supposed to be less affected by heat than standard oil. I would be really interested in what you find.

OOOPS>.....I meant to say 0W-20

tsmay51 07-25-2008 11:07 PM

I have a 2007 camry with the 4cyl. I changed the factory fill at 2000 miles with mobil 500 clean 5w20. I then changed at 5000 with castrol gtx 5w20. I have used castrol gtx 5w20 every 5000 since then. The car burns no oil that I can tell. I have seen many cars that burn maybe a quart between oil changes even when new but that seems to be a very high rate of consumption. I would try a conventional oil and see if that makes a difference. I know a buch on here are going to be die hard sythetic fans but I just cannot see the value in it unless you are doing extended intervals or live in an extreme cold climate. I have worked in the service industry for 15 yrs. I have seen many a engine tore down running all different kinds of oil. There has been very little difference in the engines I have seenbetween dino and syn. oils.

kimmiej1121 03-05-2009 12:55 PM

I have a 2007 Camry SE 4cyl and am having the same issue. The last time I went in for an oil change...about 100 miles before the 5k mark mine was just about out of oil. A couple of days before going in I notice if I had to break somewhat hard the oil light was coming on. I have always had oil changes done at the dealership, every 5k miles. I now have to report in for a level check every 1k miles. I just did my first check today and was down a quart. The dealership also told me if it continues to be low they would request that a Toyota Technician come to check the car. I'll try to keep you all posted with my results.

05cam 03-11-2009 03:19 AM

Hmm...I have an 05 2.4 with 120+k , always have used synthetic sense 40k ....doesnt burn any oil at all that ive noticed. always changed 4-5k intervals... I use 5w30 castrol syntec and always seems to keep the engine clean.

Perhaps if enough customers point this problem area out toyota will issue a recall, but highly unlikely they will, these post remind me of the 2000-2002 1zzfe celica engine issue which had the same issue everyone was burning a quart or more a week, ended up being some seals but toyota just ended up correcting the problem and never issued a recall.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worse is all i can say

deuce 06-03-2009 05:52 PM

oil consumption

I have a 07 4 cynd. camry and get all work done at the dealer as well. I was a few hundred short of my scheduled oil change and my oil light came one, shortly after that I started to smell an oder. I stopped at some auto place to check my oil and it was EMPTY. He stated that there was probably some on the bottom, but pretty much empty. He gave me 2quarts for free and I drove straight to the dealer. I got an oil change and they too wanted me to come back every 1k. I did so and after 3k, he stated, I used 1 1/4 quarts of oil. Then he gave me some crap that if my car burns 1 qt every 1200 miles it is in spec. I know I am being screwed and I only have 11k miles left until my warrenty is gone. Any help is appreciated. THANK YOU!

kimmiej1121 06-04-2009 08:47 AM

Join the club with being screwed. I finished my oil consumption testing 5k miles ago. I was told (and it's in the manual), that it is normal for the car to consume 1 quart every 600-1k miles. So basically there was nothing more the dealership could do for me. I was advised by the service tech that I should call Toyota Corp and open a case to cover myself should there be a problem later. I admit I haven't called yet (busy work), but will in the next week. I'll report how that goes.

hendrixrlh 08-06-2009 12:53 PM

07 Camry 2.4 L Oil consumption

We have a 2007 XLS Camry 2.4L, 5 speed auto, and am either burning or loosing 2-3 quarts of oil for each 5000 miles. We have 78K miles on the vehicle. 90% are highway mileage.

We have the 100,000 mile warranty as well.

The dealer tells me this is normal, is in spec and is common, although we have never had this problem before with any of our previous five Toyota's.

We have also been informed that burning 1/2 a quart of oil per 1200 miles is normal, but the dealer will not show me the specifications on this.

If you do the quick math, that is 2-3 quarts between each 5000 mile check-up.

This is absurd, unacceptable, and I am beside myself with this.

We have been through the local dealer's oil consumption test this afternoon.

We have owned everything from a SR-5 pick-up, Corolla 2 door SR-5, Camry LE and now a Camry XLS. Our parents have owned two Cressida's, and now a 2008 Avalon.

Many of my fellow employees have either late model (2008-2009) Camry's or Corollas. I have spoken to each of them at great length on this subject.

Not one of these vehicles exhibits this massive type of oil consumption.

Landing, NJ

hendrixrlh 08-06-2009 04:48 PM

07 Camry 2.4 L Oil consumption

1 quart per 1200 miles on full synthetic.

Most of the time at the dealer it is Mobil-1.

Does any one what precisely what the actual specs are?

Direct from Toyota, in writing?

We would all love to see this-

Links, PDF's, etc. all would be helpful at this point. :mad:

tinabelle3 08-07-2009 05:29 PM

I bought my '07 Camry in August of '06 and from the very beginning, I have heard an engine knock. I suspected the oil levels from the start. I took it back to the dealer I bought the car from within weeks of the purchase and they found nothing. I have continued to hear the knock and I have taken the car back to Toyota no fewer than half a dozen times to see if they could hear the knock. Finally, one of the service managers said he heard it and they cleaned the fuel injectors to the tune of $216.00 to see if that would resolve the knock issue. That day, my "check engine" light came on and stayed on until I took it back to Toyota at which time they had to replace my catalytic converter due to "damage from the cleaners that were used to clean the fuel injectors". :rolleyes: They also changed the oil at that time and began the "every 1,000 mile check up" for possible oil consumption. Everything was fine until the 3,000 and 4,000 mile checks. I watched the service manager check my oil levels and it was just below the halfway mark on the dipstick. 'Bring it back in another 1,000 miles', he said. The knock gets progressively worse as it gets closer to the oil change date. So, I take it last Friday for the oil change and they assure me that they will document how much oil comes out of the car during the change. I call today to follow up since it's been a week, and, conveniently enough, there is no documentation on my paperwork about low oil levels. Hmmm.
Can I Lemon Law this car? Why won't Toyota admit there is a problem with the '07 Camry? How many people have to complain before something is done? I will be calling Toyota Corporate on Monday with all the eveidence I have collected. Thank goodness I have a really long extended warranty on the car. It's a good thing, too because I fear the engine may fall out of the bottom of the car at any time.

deuce 08-11-2009 10:38 PM

I finally called Toyota and spoke to the manager, Barb, who was also useless. She said I could fill out a form to explain how upset I am, but that is about it. After doing two rounds of checking my oil and coming up low, I am now going in every 1000's miles until the end of my warrenty. Barb called me last week and said she was going to close my account....I asked why and she said because everything is in spec (if you look in the manual it does indeed state 1 quart per 1200 miles, and it is up to the owner to montior). I told her to leave it open until the end of my warrenty... In the meantime I am putting together a letter of how upset I am, and I am also car shopping. I am going back to my lovely Honda's! If anyone has any information or gets any help with any of these please advise. Just a note, I am taking pictures of the dip stick and the miles when I take the car in and if they have to put oil in, I am keeping the quart as to know excatly when a full quart is added, and not just "some". I am also working directly with the service manager and making them fill everything out prior to me leaving. Boy do they every love me!

The Lemon Law does not apply in this case because this is in "spec" of the owner's manual.

Any and all help is appreciated.

THANK YOU!

honda pc 08-11-2009 11:27 PM

I have a 96 camry and it started to emit blue smoke on startup in the mornings or whenever its been parked for a couple of hrs outside. It started smoking around 65k miles and currently I have around 165k miles, engine is still good and running strong. I do my oil change every 3k and it only burns about half a quart every 3k miles.

What different shops and repair technicians have told me is that the valve seals in the engine leak very small amount of oil into the cylinder and that's what burns and emits blue smoke. The valve seal is nothing but a flat rubber washer type meant to seal and not let oil seep into the cyclinder cambers. Repairs shops wanted anywhere from $300 and up to do the job. Most said to just watch the oil level and keep driving. The shops also stated that most camry's do this after a while and it wasn't a big deal.

Also just watch your work places parking lot some times, you will see camry's emitting blue smoke when workers start their cars after work going home. It only smokes for a little bit.

But yes, it sucks that toyota and delears are in tag team mentality to screw customers on this. I believe dealers and toyota are purposefully ignoring customer's complaint and won't do anything, unless the stories of the problem show up in major newspapers or TV.

Remember toyota denied about Oil sludge problems on their v4 and v6 cylinder engine problems of people and didn't do anything other then ignoring customers, telling them its not warranty item and its within spec or okay.

Well, then websites started popping up of fed up customers with toyota Oil sludge problem and pretty soon major newspaper, TV stations started picking up the problem. It was only then toyota started owning up to the problem and did their minimum to help customers fix their toyota car engine oil sludge problem.

This is the trend of most major manufacture or companies, ignore customers until **** hits the fan and then do bare minimum to correct problems.

Yes, we consumers get screwed everytime by big business and are at thier mercy until people start responding with their pocket book.

It too bad this nation is not control by consumer rather by big business and crooked politicians.

I suggest people go to alldata.com to see what problems might be on their cars... its called TSB==technical service bulletin==mainly almost like a secret warranty depending on dealer and toyota mercy to customers.

Toyota quality is not good these days compared to their old days when they used to built problem free cars. Honda also has gone down the tube and lets not start talking about the ****ty qualities of SONY. But even still now, toyota and honda is still way better then its american car makers reliablity problems.

I would say gather enough people to report same problem and then if you have relatives in the news media to do story on it.... Guarantee that toyota and dealer reps would flip over their backs to make you happy. They don't want negative news on TV at any cost.

tinabelle3 08-12-2009 11:35 AM

Well, so much for contacting Toyota Corporate.:mad: I talked to the customer service representative who conceded that the first attempt at the oil consumption test by the dealership was "unfortunately skewed" by them not measuring the oil drained during my oil change on the 31st of July. Of course, she recommended that I start a new oil consumption study with the dealership and keep in contact with the same service rep every time. I also asked about compensation for gas since I made a 90 mile round trip 5 times and they conveniently "forgot" to check the oil level drained since another service rep handled the call for the oil change. She said I would have to ask the dealership about that. I also asked her (hypothetically speaking, of course) what happens if I go through another oil consuption study and there is no problem found? She said that then the arbitration process gets initiated. Bottom line, it's Toyota's call as to whether or not I would receive any compenation for the car at that time.
I called my dealership and relayed my frustrations and the first question the service rep that had been following my first attempt at the oil consumption study asked was, "Did you tell the service rep that handled your oil change that you were in the midst of an oil consumption study?" :( I made the service appointment online....I guess lesson learned on my part. I also asked about gas compensation since I have to take time off of work to drive the car over to the dealership and live so far away. He said he wasn't sure. I asked about a free oil change, and he said he could "work something out". I guess something is better than nothing.
I agree that the more publicity this problem gets, the better off we, as Toyota Camry owners, will be. We'll see what the next oil consumption test brings, but I have a feeling I will be trading this car in a Honda in the near future. :D

honda pc 08-12-2009 07:25 PM

funny thing is my 90 toyota with about 150k miles has never burned any oil or any blue smoke coming out. It has the famous 22RE engine, almost bullet proof engine.
I also used to have a 91 toyota previa le with 260k miles total of which I put in 150k miles and it never burned any oil or emit blue smoke.

Well I think Honda has its share of problems to, mostly famously called the transmission time bomb because you never know when its going to go but it will go out and cost you $5k or more for repair... Honda had transmission problems on their van and tons of people pissed off.

seemed almost like basically both manufactures used to make good reliable cars and now these days, its got frequent problems that will cost you $$.

1danny 09-08-2009 10:06 AM

i think everyone needs to stand up to toyota and tell them that u are not alone with this problem. We did not buy this car thinken there was going to be a problem with it burning oil. I will not stop going back to toyota untill they fix this problem . I hope you decide to do it too!!!!!!!!!! Gretchen

tinabelle3 09-09-2009 06:43 PM

UPDATE: Well, after much deliberation, I decided to trade the '07 Camry in for a 2010 Camry LE. Deep down, I felt that Toyota would never admit to a problem with this car, at least before I went broke trying to fix it. :rolleyes: So, I decided to get out while the gettin' was good. I was already into my extended warranty, and after reading all the horror stories about people trying to get Toyota to admit there are issues with the '07, I chose the lesser of the two evils. My payment went up by $100, but the car is fantastic. The same model as the '07, but with some upgrades, including a more powerful standard engine, free XM radio for several months, and Bluetooth technology. I noticed a difference right away, and so far, I am completely satisfied with the 2010.
I ususally don't walk away from a fight, but this looks to be a strong uphill battle that I just couldn't afford to fight. I need a reliable car, not a long, drawn out headache.

honda pc 09-10-2009 12:48 AM

but, if it happened on 07 then most probably its going to do it on the 2010. It takes toyota long time to admit guilt and acknowledge engineering mistakes. Then it takes an uphill battle to get toyota to do any warranty repairs (tsb secret recall warranty). Unless their did a major engine change for 2010 models, then I could believe blue smoke won't come.

One good thing toyota did was go back to the timing chain in the newer cars nowadays. It used to be timing chain back in old days, then started going to timing belt (can you say $$$$ timing belt replacment cost). And these days, I guess they realized their mistake or something right in their heads to go back to timing chain.

I have heard also manufacture going back to the rear wheel drive instead of front wheel drive.. Front wheel drive maintains cost so much whereas the rear wheel was almost bullet proof zero cost maintains.

The best thing probably you can do to your new toyota is go with synthetic oil change after break in and around 5k miles or so, which would be better for your engine.
I remember back when toyota had their sludge problems on 4 and 6 cylinder engine camrys, the cars using synthetic oil faired better and there wasn't much sludge problem with them.

well good luck on the 2010

Paul3637 09-11-2009 10:35 AM

It could be the 5w20/0w20 vs 5w30 problem that is all over the net. 30% more engine wear for 1% better fuel economy with increased oil consumption to boot.

http://www.synlube.com/sae5w-20.htm

Try using 5w30 and see if that helps. I saw in a Ford ford forum that a guy's F150 was burning a quart every 1000 miles so he switched to 5w30 and the problem went away. My 09 Camry V6 burns ZERO oil (60/40 highway/city; no short trips) between changes. I use regular Pennzoil 5W30. 5w30 is the recommended grade for the V6. My 1997 Avalon never used any oil either - I sold it to a friend at 90,000 miles and it now has 220,000 miles on it and still uses no oil between changes. Myfriend does mostly highway driving and uses the same Pennzoil 5w30 I did with 5000 mile changes.

Also, the 2010 2.5L 4cyl is a completely different engine from the than the 2-4 L used in the 2002 to 2009 models. 11 additional horsepower on the single exhaust pipe LE & XLE; 21 additional - for a total of 179hp on the 4 cyl SE with dual exhausts.

By the way - I get better mileage than most people I know with the 4 cyl. 36 road trip highway @65-70 mph; 30 overall.

MegCam07 01-18-2010 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Paul3637 (Post 24394)
It could be the 5w20/0w20 vs 5w30 problem that is all over the net. 30% more engine wear for 1% better fuel economy with increased oil consumption to boot.

http://www.synlube.com/sae5w-20.htm

Try using 5w30 and see if that helps. I saw in a Ford ford forum that a guy's F150 was burning a quart every 1000 miles so he switched to 5w30 and the problem went away. My 09 Camry V6 burns ZERO oil (60/40 highway/city; no short trips) between changes. I use regular Pennzoil 5W30. 5w30 is the recommended grade for the V6. My 1997 Avalon never used any oil either - I sold it to a friend at 90,000 miles and it now has 220,000 miles on it and still uses no oil between changes. Myfriend does mostly highway driving and uses the same Pennzoil 5w30 I did with 5000 mile changes.

Also, the 2010 2.5L 4cyl is a completely different engine from the than the 2-4 L used in the 2002 to 2009 models. 11 additional horsepower on the single exhaust pipe LE & XLE; 21 additional - for a total of 179hp on the 4 cyl SE with dual exhausts.

By the way - I get better mileage than most people I know with the 4 cyl. 36 road trip highway @65-70 mph; 30 overall.

Just found this thread, and wanted to add my comments -

I also have had an oil consumption concern on a 2007 Camry LE. History - purchased new. Dealer did first oil change at 1200 (free) because that's what I like to do with a new engine after allowing for a "break in" period of approx. 1000 miles or so.

Dealer overfilled by 1/2 qt, and I removed the extra 1/2 qt to bring to full level on stick, checked when cold, sitting overnight to get complete drain down. Dealer used Mobil "Clean" 5W-20, with Toyota Filter. This is a syn blend oil, same as what's used on this engine on factory fill.

Change oil and filter at every 5K, I do my own changes, used Penz PLat syn, 5W-20, with Purolator Pure ONE filter.

Switched oil to M1 at last change, mixed 1/2 0W-30 and 1/2 5W-20 to see if I could decrease oil use, which is 1 Qt oil every 3000 miles.

Last check indicated this did not help.

Reason I increased upper viscosity is because the service manager at the dealreship said he had an oil use prob on his new Tundra v-8, and when he switched to 30W from 20W, it stopped.

Next change I will go to a 5W or 0W - 30 syn (prob M1), and see if this helps. Next change due at 25K miles, now at about 22,000 on car total.

1 qt usage in anything over 1200 miles will be deemed "normal" to any manufacturer, some as low as 1 qt every 700 miles (GM, I think says this).

My Honda CR-V uses no oil at all, my 2000 Tahoe uses about 1/2 qt per 3000 miles, and my 2009 Mazda 3 uses no oil at all either, BTW.

Oil usage on the Camry may improve as the engine wears in more. My guess is that the rings have not fully seated themselves, but who knows. Typically, this should have occurred by no more than 5K initial miles at most.

deuce 02-25-2010 07:38 PM

February 24, 2010 - I am still having issues with my 2007 Camry burning oil. I have now passed the 60,000 mile warranty. The dealer sticks to their guns on the fact that is spec for the car. I use a 1.25 quarts every four thousand miles. If anyone has any news on this I would greatly appreciate and advice. Thank you very much!

flyerI 03-02-2010 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by deuce (Post 35806)
February 24, 2010 - I am still having issues with my 2007 Camry burning oil. I have now passed the 60,000 mile warranty. The dealer sticks to their guns on the fact that is spec for the car. I use a 1.25 quarts every four thousand miles. If anyone has any news on this I would greatly appreciate and advice. Thank you very much!

I'm not sure you have a major problem here. I have been changing oil in many brands of vehicles for nearly 35 years. I change oil at 3000 to 3500 miles routinely and unless I have added some during that period I usually get about 1qt less than I put in at the previous change. I have never thought it unusual to add some oil between changes. I think the manual says to check the oil on a regular basis. That would imply that if it is down you should add some. I do not let it get lower than 1/2 way down the normal range on the stick. For the original poster who is ading 1/2 qt or more every 1000 miles that may indeed be a problem.

toyomoho 03-03-2010 10:26 AM

1.25 qrts per 4K miles is good.

Toyota would state something like 1 quart per 1K miles is within normal standards. This would be for any engine regardless of mileage, new or used.

mlangman 04-01-2010 12:56 PM

2007 Oil Consumption

I have a 4cylinder 2007 Camry which is going through at least a quart every 1000 miles. I am in the middle of going through the oil consumption test but there is definitely a widespread issue here that Toyota needs to address. I just spoke to corporate and filed a complaint. Received the company line that a qt every 1200 miles is within spec, that is ridiculous!! I will not put up with
this BS.

toyomoho 04-01-2010 11:53 PM

This is not normal! Even though Toyota will state it is within spec.

ajm85 04-06-2010 11:38 PM

Everyone in this thread is having the same issue with your engine burning oil...
Even if the service manage or advisor tells you to come back 1-2 weeks to monitor the engine oil consumption, guarantee you are still losing engine oil..

Here the best part.. Only 2.4L 4cyl. engines are some or more affected by the burning oil on camry's....

The Block needs to be replaced because it has a very bad piston machining which leaks out from the rings...

Contact your dealer about this... they know whats going on.. they are just playing dumb on you... Before your warranty runs out soon...

mlangman 04-07-2010 10:04 AM

This is really helpful information regarding the piston machining, I plan to finish the consumption test and then proceed with your suggestion. Even the mechanic yesterday acknowledged to me that this is not normal! I want to pose this question to the group, what would it take to put together a class action suit based on the amount of people having the same problem with the 2.4L 4cyl?

toyotacrash 04-07-2010 07:24 PM

Is the 07 Camry on the recall list?

http://www.toyotacrashreports.com

mlangman 04-08-2010 10:56 AM

There is no recall for oil consumption problems just for the accelerator pedal? If enough people complain perhaps there would be a recall.

deuce 04-09-2010 10:04 PM

Oil Consumption

My Camry is three years old with 63,000 miles and last week they finally replaced my engine. They finally agreed there was a problem and took care of everything for me. It seems great so far.... I have been having issues with my radio volume since I picked up my car. It has been about a week and a half and about 4-5 times I have heard a weird noise. Other than those few things I am pleased with Toyota. My car was also recalled and taken care of.

I am not sure I will ever buy another Toyota ever, but I am pleased that they finally acknowledged this issue. I pray this car will last me a minimum of five more years.

Good luck! Keep doing the one thousand check ups, get everything and I mean everything in writing... Do your research and be polite. They are more apt to help someone that knows it is not their direct fault, but don't let them take advantage of you either.

camillet 04-09-2010 10:26 PM

Well, I have a 2007 Camry 2.4L with an oil consumption issue also. At 78000 miles my wife noticed the oil light flash briefly while braking and turning. It was 3200 miles into our last oil change. I figured it was a bad sensor but checked the oil level that evening only to find out it was 2.5 quarts low. We purchased the Camry new in March of 2006 and have always changed the oil when the reminder lamp illuminated (about 5000 miles) For the last 3 years I have used full synthetic 5W20. When we contacted our Toyota dealer they said that according to the owners manual, it can use up to 1.1 quarts every 600 miles. We checked our manual and it does state that. There is an oil consumption category in the manual. Who would have thought such a category existed. I now use 10W30 conventional oil. It has reduced the consumption to about 1 quart every 1700-1800 miles. Our car in in great shape otherwise. Still looks and drives great. We are now looking for a new vehicle. I find it difficult to consider another Toyota.

warrior 06-26-2010 01:54 AM

2007 camry oil consumption

Everyone...I hope everyone that purchased a camry in 2007 with the 4 banger reads this thread!!! My girlfriend has one and one day I just happened to check her oil in her camry. At around 5000 miles it was almost 2qts low. We took it to Toyota and went through the usual consumption test. Of course it consumed oil. This was several months before the "big" recall was announced for the stopping issue. After about 5 months of consuming oil, I called the Toyota regional office in the southeast and talked to a guy who agreed that it was burning too much oil. Before I knew it... the local dealer had her car for a week and put a new shortblock in it. It was WAY too easy!! This tells me that they know what the problem is. It was probably a piston and block issue. Just wanted to share our story. So far the engine is fine. only had it for about 3000 miles. Car currently had 55000 miles. We run M1 5-20.

toyomoho 06-26-2010 08:36 AM

Big Recall?

mlangman 06-28-2010 10:12 AM

Glad to hear it was resolved. I also went through the consumption test, then talked to the DSPM and they agreed to put in a new short block. Two weeks later all is well. The reason they gave me was the original leased owner never changed the oil. Anyway, I'm sure that's a bunch of BS, but hopefully they will start addressing this correctly.

Lugnut 08-27-2010 08:23 PM

2008 Camry - low miles - used some oil

1st post. I have the 2008 Camry with the 4 banger. I used 5w-20 once and then went to 0W-20, as the manual instructs. I checked the oil the other day - a bit low. My theory - its been hot, and that upper number on the viscosity rating means that oil is thin to start with and stays that way. I know Toyota has only gone to a top viscosity of 20 in order to satisfy the EPA rulers that mandate ever increasing gas mileage, no matter at what cost.

It seems to me an 0W-30 is a better choice as it will be a bit more durable due to an increased viscosity under the heat and the load.

I am dissapointed to see these other posts talking about real oil consumption for real mechanical reasons. Jeez. I of course hope that mine is exempted from these flaws. Time will as always tell.

Any thoughts on the viscosity notion?

toyomoho 08-27-2010 11:03 PM

Toyota was supposed to have reduced bearing clearances resulting in the need for a lower viscosity oil.