Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   84 Camry dlx model hatchback (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/84-camry-dlx-model-hatchback-50228/)

hardyrxp 05-03-2015 10:40 AM

84 Camry dlx model hatchback

84 Camry dlx model hatchback
Hello to all on the forums 1st off......
I need some help here on my 1st generation 84 Camry hatchback deluxe model automatic transmission.
THE PROBLEM(S)
To be clear on the problem I am having is this: My transmission is shifting hard and rough intermittently and sometimes when going between the speeds of 40-55 mph I will feel a shake and cluttering from the transmission or the axle going into the transmission. Note the car does not do this all the time just sometimes. The car just started doing this so I am sure it will get worse. Also to be noted the car shifts rough when coming to a stop so that would be downshifting from 2nd to 1st at about 15 mph. Also when I took a long road trip some of the transmission fluid would spill out I am guessing it was coming from where the axle meet/goes into the transmission. When this happened (happened more then 3 times) I would have to check and add transmission fluid to the car to get it back up to the full level.
WHAT I ALREADY DID TO TRY AND FIX
I have already taken it to 3 different mechanics and they all said to drive the car until It breaks and then junk it. That REALLY PISSES ME OFF AS I LIKE THIS CAR VERY MUCH AND WANT TO FIX IT. The 1st mechanic sucked 2 quarts out of the transmission dipstick and then added Lucas stop slip and told me to drive the ****ing car and see if it helped. It seemed to help at 1st then the hard shifting was back in no time at all. I did check the transmission level and it is at full when the car is hot. One of the other mechanics knows the issue(s) on this car and was telling me to check the transaxle fluid behind the transmission pan. I went behind there and there is 2 plugs 1 filler plug to train (I am guessing gear oil?) and the other plug is a drain check plug. So I looked up the fluid type in my owners manual for the filler plug behind the transmission pan and it says to put in the same type of fluid as in the transmission is this correct?
QUESTIONS AND HELP NEEDED
So my 1st question is why would I put the same fluid type (dextron2) in the transaxle filler plug? I would think I different kind of fluid like (gear oil) would go in there as it is a completely separate compartment then the transmission dip stick and transmission pan and filter? What is the correct type of fluid to use in this separate compartment?
Being on these big forums there must be several people who know about this problem and might even be having the same problems. Please let me know what is causing this and what I can do to fix this. I really would appreciate any/all help from you as I know the forums are a great way to share and help each other with information so thanks to all who help in advance.
Dave

toyomoho 05-03-2015 11:45 AM

Please only post in one forum.

If you have mechanical skills suggest getting a service manual such as Haynes or finding one online and doing this work yourself. Most mechanics are not going to be as passionate about maintaining your car as you are.

For this trans, Toyota specifies the same type of fluid in both trans and diff. Dexron II was replaced by Dexron III which is now called something like ATF Fluid or ATF D/M.

Dexron and Mercron are names owned by auto manufactures. GM withdrew the license for Dexron III thus oil makers needed to call it something else.

There are other Dexron fluids such as Dexron IIID, IIIE, V, VI. Use a product that states is compatible with Dexron II or III.

The link below shows one oil makers products:

https://mobiloil.com/en/automatic-transmission-fluid.

In the case of Mobil products, you can use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF or ATF D/M.

As to your trans problem. Try replacing all the trans fluid. This is done by disconnecting the trans oil cooler return line to the trans and allowing the trans oil pump to move the oil out. Keep refilling the trans with new fluid until the old fluid coming out is clear. The internet may have video's or posts on this method. This site has a few posts on how to do this.

Suggest checking the diff fluid level ASAP!! The amount of fluid is limited and once leaked out the diff will be damaged! Remove the filler plug, fluid should either start to slowly flow out or you should be able to touch the fluid with your finger.

When refilling, add fluid to the filler plug until it starts coming out the hole.

dirty hands 05-03-2015 05:01 PM

. you asked the question over in toyota nation hope we give you a better answer

the CV to diff/automatic transmission.seals need to be replaced to stop the leaks
toyota nation are also confirming the diff uses dexron

my thought is the automatic is suffering from low fluid levels

keep with the dexron oils or the automatic transmission. will self destruct

I need to confirm this is the automatic transmission.fitted to your camry
my research says the automatic could be
1983-2001 Camry
A140E and A541E or A540H-A540E.

if this is the correct automatic transmission.
1983-2001 Camry
A140E and A541E 115 pages
full repair manual/diagnostics http://www.turboninjas.com/camry/ax1.pdf

or A540H-A540E. 200 pages http://www.transdetail.ru/ru_rukovod...540H-A540E.pdf

hardyrxp 05-03-2015 11:56 PM

Okay I will try to answer some of your ?'s now

hardyrxp 05-03-2015 11:57 PM

THanks for those manual awesome.....!

The car has 97k original miles on it. I drive it everywhere so city and highway. Last transmission flush was 70k.
I bought the car from 1 owner original miles on it at 60k.
So you can see why I want to keep and fix the car.
Little to no rust just a little in the back of the car near wheel well expected at that area.

hardyrxp 05-03-2015 11:57 PM

My ?'s to you guys are as follows:
If the car is jerking/shifting hard-rough from 2nd to 1st and spitting out some of the tranny fluid some how then why/how could changing the fluid help?
I mean if its going bad then it will fail soon with old or brand new fluid correct?
If so f............. it what's the f........... point I will drive it till it drops.
We already sucked out and changed part of the fluid to add the lucas 2 quarts in there.
The mechanic said leave the fluid in there b/c it looks so clean/new.

hardyrxp 05-03-2015 11:58 PM

Here is another ? for you....
Can I put any transmission in my car that comes off a 84-86 camry that is not deisal?

dirty hands 05-04-2015 06:46 AM

answer to another transmission.

to put another transmission. in it
the replacement automatic transmission. only has to carry the same serial numbers for original TCU in your camry to function

hardyrxp 05-04-2015 06:46 PM

I DO'NT UNDERSTAND ANY OF THIS.....
answer to another tranny
to put another box in it
the replacement auto box only has to carry the same serial numbers for original tranny-control unit in your camry to function

hardyrxp 05-04-2015 06:47 PM

PLEASE EXPLAIN in VERY SIMPLE TERMS TO ME....
Do you mean I have to match up a transmission to something in my car?
I thought all the transmissions were compatible from 83-86 as long as they are automatic, non diesel, and on a camry correct?