Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/)
-   -   84 Camry dlx model hatchback (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/84-camry-dlx-model-hatchback-50228/)

hardyrxp 05-04-2015 06:48 PM

WHat do you guys mean by box?
you MEAN THE TRANSMISSION?

hardyrxp 05-04-2015 06:49 PM

Okay also confused here on the manuals you sent to me....
Is this one my transmission manual?
if this is the correct box
1983-2001 Camry
A140E and A541E 115 pages
full repair manual/diagnostics http://www.turboninjas.com/camry/ax1.pdf
I have a 84 camry that is all I can tell you auto hatchback gas

hardyrxp 05-04-2015 06:50 PM

Please stop saying box when i hear that i think of pussy not a transmission.

dirty hands 05-04-2015 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
sorry hardyrxp .. I apologize
In my posts I have corrected word to transmission ..you can do same or delete/change the name in the quotes in your posts

I am australian - over here a box is a gearbox - any gearbox is a transmission -- then we say manual or auto (automatic)

Do you recognise your transmission as the same shown in diagrams in the A140E repair manual

once we know which transmission.is fitted
the forum can advise you correctly

Before replacing your original transmission.
it is a good idea to identify the correct transmission before you go any furthur
there should be a plate on the fire wall with transmission identification
also the transmission should have the letters and numbers stamped into its casing

yes if you confirm an A140E
the automatic transmission manuals I posted will cover your your camry

this picture should be close to your car you have

Attachment 3879

hardyrxp 05-04-2015 10:02 PM

Hello there,
The mechanic added 2 quarts of lucas forgot to mention that so the fluid level is correct.
I am looking at another transmission at a salvage yard now.
No fluid change is going to fix clunking, grinding, hard shifting and banging of gears that I can see.....

My question(s) now is **** what if I get the same tranny with the same problems.....
Does anyone on here know if it would be better to get a tranny from 85 86 or 84 which one Years would be less prone to problems....

hardyrxp 05-04-2015 10:04 PM

Yes that picture is my car I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT KIND OF ****ING TRANSMISSION I HAVE SO PEASE DON'T ASK......
Thanks for using a different word as here in usa (I slpeak for me) my breain is trained to think of a naked woman when I hear the word box so that really messes me up and I can't concentrate or talk to you about the car when using that word.
Right now I will do like the mechanic said and just drive the f.............. car and see what happens.
NOBODY LOVES THIS CAR BUT ME THESE DAYS IN MY AREA....

toyomoho 05-05-2015 12:13 PM

There may be a sticker on the side of the drivers door with the trans model number which may be A140E for the 4-cylinder. A 86-91 trans may work. Toyota changed over the axle mounting system at the trans from a bolted flange system to a splined shaft that plugged into the trans axle carrier. Not sure when this change too place. You can see if the axle has a flange or not by looking where the axle meets the trans housing.

96K is not that many miles on a trans. When you had the fluid changed at 70K were you able to see the fluid color such a red, black, etc?

The fluid in the has now 26K which is OK but might change it all as suggested in previous posts.

If fluid is leaking out the area where axle meets the transmission check the fluid level of the differential.

If an A140E, the transmissions electronic shifting is controlled by the engine computer. The trans has a diagnostic built in diagnostic system. You can check for trouble codes.

To access look in the engine compartment for a small box, perhaps 2 inch x 1 inch mounted perhaps on one of the suspension strut towers.

Open the box to view electrical connectors. Turn on ign switch and connect the TE1 and E1 terminals with electrical wire. The O/D Off light on the dash will start to blink. If no codes are stored the light will flash at a steady rate. If codes are stored the light will flash at a two number code, one number at a time. Such as four flashes, pause, two flashes longer pause for code 42.

The issue is other then changing the fluid and checking codes there is not much that can be done without going inside the trans. This may be why the mechanic is not doing anything.

hardyrxp 05-05-2015 08:34 PM

Well you knew a lot more then the mechanic now I can try what you suggested to me with codes thank you for that....

hardyrxp 05-05-2015 08:38 PM

Well another thing I can try I notice today but I need to test it more is this:
When the car shifts rough from 2nd to 1st when the trans is hot only its in NORMAL MODE. SO I tried it with the O/D OFF MODE and I think it did not do it not sure b/c I was falling asleep at the wheel on the way home from work today so I will have to try it again tomorrow. TODAY WAS **** DAY HOPEFULLY TOMORROW WILL BE A BETTER DAY.....