Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-15/)
-   -   need horsepower (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-15/need-horsepower-2301/)

norcalcam93 08-24-2007 12:05 PM

need horsepower

ive been looking around for a while on how to get more horses. i have a 93 camry and ive seen some performace chips that will give it like 15 more horse. but thats not that much. any good performace chip places or websites??or advice? thanks

Epsilon 08-25-2007 11:59 PM

RE: need horsepower

Those don't work. It's not really a chip, but just a resistor that you put in parallel with the intake air temp sensor to 'fool' your ecu into thinking the intake air temp is colder than it really is to run a little richer/more gas. The o2 sensors output probably offsets a significantly richer mixture, making the 'mod' of limited merit, since they are not wideband.

norcalcam93 08-26-2007 12:54 PM

ok then what could i get 2 make it faster?

Black95Cam 08-26-2007 07:45 PM

Camry werent really made to go fastso its a lot harder to find performance parts. but if you want power then get a supercharger or a turbo. everything else would gain power and torque but you might not feel the differences...

norcalcam93 08-26-2007 07:47 PM

ya i was actually looking at super chargers on ebay for around 1000. i think it would b sick to have it

Black95Cam 08-26-2007 10:18 PM

same here. i had thoughts of throwing a TRD Supercharger on mine but gotta pay for college so that'll be pushed back for a wihle.

norcalcam93 08-26-2007 10:31 PM

ya rght now im a senior in high skool and im guna tell my mom and dad i want a super charger for my graduation gift LOL

Black95Cam 08-27-2007 01:03 AM

haha... good luck with that..

norcalcam93 08-27-2007 05:22 PM

hahaha;)thanks

Viktor 08-30-2007 01:35 AM

Yea I'm in the same boat with you man. College costs hella $$$$$$$$$$$

vivioman 08-30-2007 04:01 AM

Drop in a 3SGTE from a GT4 Celica into your Camry, it will make the power your desire! :)

Octapulse 04-30-2008 09:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Epsilon

Those don't work. It's not really a chip, but just a resistor that you put in parallel with the intake air temp sensor to 'fool' your ecu into thinking the intake air temp is colder than it really is to run a little richer/more gas. The o2 sensors output probably offsets a significantly richer mixture, making the 'mod' of limited merit, since they are not wideband.
I think I may have discovered a use for one of these little suckers! I was reading more about short ram intakes and came across this:

Turbulence in the intake airflow produced by the filter or piping, or a change in intake diameter at the point where the airflow is measured can produce inaccurate airflow readings. The error in airflow then translates to an error in the amount of added fuel. In the worst case, the air/fuel ratio can run lean, causing detonation and possibly engine failure although the airflow sensor will generally detect and correct the throttle to compensate for the warmer air. This can also be solved by modifying/elongating the intake piping, replacing the airflow meter, or by replacing/remapping the engine control computer to provide the correct amount of fuel for the intake airflow at all engine speeds.
So, if a short ram intake may make your gas run lean, and this chip may make your gas run rich, then its a good solution for overcoming the deficit caused by a short ram intake. Touche!

94camguy 05-01-2008 10:24 AM

Hahahahahah wow I knew I felt a reason to pick up that thing! Now if only I listened to my gut instead of the seller's feedback! :(Oh well, I'll figure it out. Nice one though I didnt expect that!

Octapulse 05-02-2008 04:58 PM

I feel smart now :eek:

94camguy 05-02-2008 06:25 PM

Hey i was bein serious,I really wish I had known that! I would guess that lean+rich=avg, and if you consider the added hp you get from the intake and possibly the chip.. damn! that'd be sweet!

Octapulse 05-02-2008 06:50 PM

dont forget that TB spacer and also a good exhaust system (and a hood scoop if you really want to go there!)

94camguy 05-02-2008 07:15 PM

oh yea Im definitely goin there with a hood scoop. I figure I can get one of the fake fender scoops from advance or someplace for $15, mount it to my hood above the intake cone, and cut a hole in the hood itself to let the air thru. (If I can manage to get another hood from the junkyard) And people pay so much for the same effect :D

Octapulse 05-04-2008 01:56 AM

now im thinking about getting the z3 fenders . . .

[IMG]local://upfiles/5465/409352FBE8A24B95A4BAC492B5CD704D.jpg[/IMG]

94camguy 05-04-2008 11:54 AM

Yea they do look nice come to think of it, I was only lookin at teh M3 style, with the little grill on them. but those z3 look much better vented. good idea!

Octapulse 05-04-2008 01:54 PM

its a good option for a nitrous purge!

94camguy 05-06-2008 09:54 AM

Yea, rho with the costs of living as they are now I think purge will be further down the road. I'll have to check out the difference in price between z3 ans m3 fenders..

Octapulse 05-06-2008 12:14 PM

I wouldnt suggest installing a nitrous system unless you plan on using it alot (and I wouldnt suggest getting one unless you want to have to get a new engine every 5 to 6 months)

94camguy 05-07-2008 10:01 AM

well from what I understand, a purge kit is completely visual, has nothing to do with the engine. I dont plan on doin a performance boost with it, that costs WAY too much. I've seen direct port kits goin over a grand. I'd rather stick with a little kit that goes from bottle to hose to whatever vents I wanna set it up to. Most likely the fender vents. It doesnt have anything to do with the engine at all.
(not that I would mind a 3sgte in its place.. TURBO!)[sm=gears.gif]

elsie92xlev6 05-07-2008 11:20 AM

purge systems are pretty sick looking i got a 92 xle v6 and i was thinking bout putting soem purge vents out near the wiper blades on the front windshield. just curious what kind of motor oil do u guys use if you got a 3vz-fe?

Octapulse 05-07-2008 01:00 PM

I dont see how you can operate a purge without having nitrous. all the air from the purge is "purging the nitrous lines free of air". What else are you going to purge?

94camguy 05-08-2008 09:45 AM

nah, I have the 5sfe.

I could be wrong, but from what I understood about running a show purge kit, not performance, you're shooting the nos vapor into the air. Its also common that people will buy the LED nozzle so the vapor shooting out will light up. Rather than shooting the nos into your block, you're shooting it out of the car. No need to touch the engine.

Octapulse 05-08-2008 11:17 AM

its not nos that you see coming out of a purge, its air (to keep the nos injection pure).

elsie92xlev6 05-08-2008 04:47 PM

it actually is nitrous being blown through the lines to clear any otheroxygen or gasesthat may be in the lines. its done so that nitrous is at the closest point to the engine in the line. when doing just a purge kit never intending on anything touching ur engine i suppose u could fill ur tank with 02 if u really wanted to.

94camguy 05-08-2008 09:14 PM

Never thought of that, I was just gonna talk to my buddy josh with Nitrous Xpress and have him hook me up. I like the NX brand, so havin some of their materials wouldnt be too bad. So i could fill the NX tank with o2 rather than NOS? Would that be cheaper?

Octapulse 05-09-2008 02:42 AM

it would be alot cheaper, but the nitrous is more fun at partys! ;)

elsie92xlev6 05-09-2008 04:35 PM

its actually not a **** load cheaper liek u would expect since we r sorta of surronded by o2 and it really doesnt show as much i dont think without lights nitrous would be a hell of a lot better looking. condensed no2 is a lot colder than o2 so it shimmers as it shoots out the line a lot better than o2 would but if u wanan scare somebody at the line o2 would do the job for u

94camguy 05-09-2008 07:22 PM

lol sounds good to me i wouldnt mind seein peoples reaction when my front end just starts randomly shootin sh!t at them :D

Octapulse 05-10-2008 01:59 AM

ORIGINAL: 94camguy

lol sounds good to me i wouldnt mind seein peoples reaction when my front end just starts randomly shootin sh!t at them :D
ive never heard of a drivers seat with a toilet/waste management system w/sh!t purge. you would have to wash the thing ALOT! :D

94camguy 05-10-2008 03:00 PM

haha reall funny smartass[sm=nxsmile.gif]

I wonder if anone has ever used drain-o for automotive :D

Octapulse 05-11-2008 12:59 AM

yeah, instead of a fire extinguisher mounted inside your car, you'd have a plunger [sm=lol.gif]

94camguy 05-11-2008 09:10 PM

it'd be my personal anti-hijacking device [sm=icon_beat.gif]

Instead of beat the s**t out of them, beat them with it!

Octapulse 06-16-2008 12:48 AM

I just ordered an electric supercharger and a Volo ECU flasher. That couple with my new Borla tubo XL exhaust should give me about a 55HP boost! good times.

94camguy 06-20-2008 08:32 AM

Great, lemme know how things work out with that volo programmer. If its any good I might consider it.

Brotherhood87 10-08-2010 08:35 PM

Same here. College is a pain in the ass to pay for. I have projector headlights with black housing and slight halos and smoked fog lights. Both headlights and foglights have HID's both at 6000k. I also got new speakers and a headunit. that's about all i can afford to do right now. My next investment is gonna be rims or a sound system. Not to mention I completely eliminated the yellow lights inside and outside my car. In other words all my interior lights are LED and my reverse lights are LED as well. Not that yellow lighting. Any advice on what kinda rims would look good on an 03 camry would help. As far as color goes, I want to get black. As far as size goes, I'll go up to 19".

gtchamp7 12-30-2011 01:28 PM

For more horsepower (in simple bolt-on ways):
-New exhaust headers (or buy turbo-headers made for the 5SFE Celica if you want to turbocharge it)
-Remove catalytic converter & resonator (keep the cat. if you want to stay legal)
-New muffler*
-Cold air intake (look for one for the 5SFE Celica or build your own. All you need is piping, a filter, and mounting hardware)
-General maintenance**

*Please, oh god please, DO NOT get a "fart-can"/"ricer" muffler (i.e. the mufflers that have a pipe with WAY too large of an output diameter.) They sound terrible and won't give you as much power as a nice, simple, high-flow, constant diameter muffler. Having a 2.5" pipe going into your muffler and coming out the other end as a 4" or 5" ruins your back pressure and causes your engine to backfire and not be able to push out the exhaust gases.

**Now general maintenance may not up your horsepower by much, but it will help it to handle more horsepower, keep it running smoothly (literally and metaphorically), and let it last longer. By 'general maintenance', I mean: replacing gaskets, keeping good oil/oil filter in it, tightening of bolts, removing sludge from the inside of the block, new spark plugs/spark plug wires, cleaning connectors/ports, etc. etc. etc. Also, if you want to get creative, you can fashion new ways of blocking and directing heat from the engine to keep it from what needs to stay cool and getting it out of the engine bay more effectively.