Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Upgrading headunit

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Default Upgrading headunit

After spending a few years in my "ricer" phase I realized I no longer like the tackyness that comes with mods. This includes aftermarket headunits. I don't want some gaudy silver headunit with all sorts of lights in my luxurious camry. I decided to go for a stock cd/cassette/radio headunit (double din) from another toyota/lexus. After a lot of browsing on ebay,I found out that most of the headunits I came across fit for most camrys but not my XLE. Does the XLE have an external amplifier somewhere? What cars double-din headunits would work in my 96 v6 xle?

This is the one I found on ebay that I am looking at and it says it will only work with Toyota models with amplifiers....

the cassette part looks just like what I have in my car right now so I figure maybe this is the correct one. I just wanted to see if someone could verify. Also, will this play CD-r's?

Old 08-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Default RE: Upgrading headunit

thats the same as mine. and my is a 95, so it should work. and im not so sure about the external amp. oh yeah it plays cd-rs.. well at least mine did.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the help black95cam. However, you have an LE and this is for an XLE and that's what I was worried about because of all the ebay auctions I saw that said "fits all camry's 92-96 except XLE". That's what makes me assume the XLE must be somehow different. I think if it's a low enough price I'll just buy it anyways and go from there.

black95cam-Do you have an AIM/AOL handle I can reach you at for some help? (if you don't mind)

Old 08-27-2007, 01:07 AM

no problem.. i havent messed with an XLE audio system so not really sure on how it work behind the dash. and yeah i have AIM.. Black95Cam. yeah i dont mind just hit me up anytime...

Old 08-27-2007, 10:22 AM

Some Camry's have a small amplifier under the dash for the upgraded sound systems. If you don't have one, do not worry about it. If you buy an aftermarket player like I did from say Crutchfield, they warn you about the factory amp. They suggest bypassing it if you have one since the modern players have built in powerful amps. Call the dealer with your VIN number and they can tell you if it has the amplified sound system installed. Or, the link to the factroy service manuals amy tell you by searching around.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:04 AM

Orayt..i'm also planning to upgrade the headunit...
anyways...thanks to this thread, somehow it gives me enough information.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:50 PM

That head unit looks similar to the one that came in the 7th gen Celica. In the Celica their was a premium audio option that included a small amp under the pass seat. Thus their were 2 options for head units. with and without the amp. I'm new to the Camry, but it looks like the 7th gen celica head units would work as well, just get the non premium audio verson.