DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Solution to a Lost Key for Locking Wheel Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 06:19 PM
Default Solution to a Lost Key for Locking Wheel Nuts

I had to remove the lock nuts from the wheels without the benefit of the locknut key which was apparently lost prior to purchasing this used Camry. After trying in vain to order a new one I decided to try a couple of things. The very first one worked. These particular lock nuts are smooth exterior cylinders a little bigger than 3/4" in diameter. I took a 3/4" star socket (not a hex) and hammered it over the lock nut and used a hinged handle socket wrench to back them off. It was very easy.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Great tip, thanks.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Great tip, thanks.
Your welcome.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:59 AM

Reminds me of a funny story.

When I was somewhere around 17ish or so, in Las Vegas, I had an Oldsmobile Delta 88 as my car. Diesel. It had security bolts on the hub caps. So one night my friend and I are going to hit the Strip, cruise around. It was raining off and on, which is not the norm for Vegas. As it was the 80's, I was all pimped put in some cool silk threads - shirt and pants (hey, Vegas in the 80's. Rock on.) Rear tire went flat as we hit the Strip, so I had to pull into a parking lot to assess the damage. Locked hubs, no tool. Raining. Silk clothes. Dirty, greasy, awful grime on the wheels (oil slick heaven in Vegas rained on streets). So what's a guy to do? Swap pants with his bud of course, and go shirtless to fix it all up. But my bud was larger in the waist, so he loaned me his jean shorts (yeah, I know, we won't go there) and I had to keep them up with a length of speaker wire I had in the back seat.

So here I am, dip **** looking jean shorts that are too big in the waist held on with speaker wire, nothing else on as the rain and grime would destroy my shirt and shoes, and I had to literally pull the hub cap off with my bare hands. Pull the lock bolts through the metal, trashing the hub cap. I did it, but it took some doing and a little time to get it done, and a whole crowd of people standing around watching. Good thing for the gym

Old 05-29-2015, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Ha, awesome!