Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Crap. How do I clean a throttle body on 2007 4 cyl?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Default Crap. How do I clean a throttle body on 2007 4 cyl?

Just bought a used 2007 4 cyl Camry after going to TX to pick it up. Had a local dealer check it out, They gave it a clean bill of health with the exceptions of a bad battery and bad serp. belt.

I swapped out the battery, and now it seems to be idling very rough in gear especially with A/C on.

I've been searching around, and have found that this is not unusual.

Car runs great otherwise. If I get it off of idle, it runs great. I took it for a test ride prior to buying, and I had a little bit of rough idle, but not much.

So I am doing the reset procedure now. I suspect that I may need to clean the throttle body, but can not find instructions on how to do so. I want to be very careful in doing this.

Question 1) I've searched but have come up empty. Anybody have a link to instructions?

Question 2) Should I idle the car with the A/C on during the first startup?

Thanks,

Frank

Old 05-20-2012, 09:19 PM

on the 2007 and newer model they have what its call learned memories , every time the battery is totally dead or disconnected for several minutes this memories will clear up ,after re install a good working battery the vehicle needs to relearn all this crap again it will affect the idle and the shifting points . if throttle body it's to dirty it will affect the learning , what we do at the dealer it's clean the TB using a toot brush and the BG TB cleaner solution ( or gun cutter from napa ) and after TB was clean re install battery crank the engine whit gas pedal press half way after engine its running rev the engine a few times to clean up the build up and take the vehicle for a 10-15 mile road test driving it NORMAL CONDITION to allow ecu to relearn . combine highway drive and light to light do this whit a/c off after perform relearning steps turn engine off and back on and vehicle will be back to normal state .

Old 05-20-2012, 10:47 PM

Do you remove the TB to clean it? I have read that you should not move the butterfly at all. Is this easy to clean without disturbing it?

Old 05-22-2012, 07:00 PM

not need to remove it to clean it , just open it up by finger ,don't scratch the bore or the bf, make sure key is OFF when doing this .