General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tip: High idle on V6/High idle after cleaning throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Default Tip: High idle on V6/High idle after cleaning throttle body

A lot of people like to clean their throttle body once in a while, and for good reason. PCV gases and carbon accumulate on the butterfly and make the idle rough.
So i removed the air filter tubing on my 2002 Camry V6 (remove the two hose clamps on each end, it just pulls free). Then i jammed a screwdriver to hold the butterfly open in the throttle body while i soaked it with carb cleaner. All well and good but after that my engine idled too high! About 2,000 rpm.

After retracing my steps and several teeth gnashing moments i discovered what the problem was. The throttle position sensor has slotted mount for adjustment (the two screws retaining it). I think i had knocked it out of alignment by jamming open the butterfly. I loosened the screws and by rotating the valve a little, lowered the idle. Whew.

If you are doing this be sure to loosen but not remove the two screws. (It is possible to put the sensor back on wrong if you had to reinstall it, the plastic wings go ABOVE the throttle tabs not mountedi n the plastic slot.)

Also, you will need a stubby phillip screwdriver for the bottom screw, no other tool will do. Press hard on the end of the screwdriver while turning, you do NOT want to strip out the bottom screw or you'll have to remove the throttle body to get to it.

This sensor could also be a cause of high idle conceivably. There is no adjusting screw for the throttle as in older cars and this method of changing the idle is not even mentioned in the Toyota factory manual. It works, though.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18/786142083F8B4C33BDE3C040C92A8D38.jpg[/IMG]