General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 10:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

07 Camry oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 04:08 AM

Ever since I got it i have to add at LEAST 2 quarts of oil between oil changes. I am very disappointed in the camry for this. I do not have an oil leak either.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:19 PM

Well we brought the car to the dealer for the third time and left it with them. They said it needs new valve stem seals. There gonna do the work under warranty and we should have the car back in a few days. They said the new seals will be under warranty for another year.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Default Everyone MUST File a Complaint with the NHTSA

Everyone who is having the oil consumption problems with their 2007 Toyota Camry should file a complaint with the NHTSA. Here is the contact information! NHTSA: Please go to the Safercar.gov Web site or call their Vehicle Safety Hotline toll-free at 1-888-327-4236. The more complaints we file, the better it will be.

Last edited by ferro007; 04-13-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Default 2007 Sudden Oil light

Hi,
I think I have the same problem, I have a 2007 camry 4 cylinder with a little over 100k, I take it to the same toyota dealershp that I bought it from since 2006, all services, oil changes have been done there.

About a week ago I noticed that my oil light would come on under sudden breaking, it was also time to do my regular oil change, so I mentioned it to the dealership this morning and they just called me back indicating that the water pump needs to be replaced and the drive belt, they say the water pump is leaking, they say the oil light could be due to oil loss and I might need a new oild pan about 215.00 they told me, but they want me to come in at the next 1,000 miles. Any suggestions? the water pump and belt are going to be around 600 with parts and labor...but its never been replaced so this is normal from what I have been reading.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Would not consider a pump going out at 100K normal but perhaps this is the new Toyota norm for quality.

Are there signs of coolant on the floor under the car, are you needed to add more coolant ot the overflow tank?

Is the old oil pan damaged, perhaps the car hit a low divider on the road and crushed it. Look under the engine and check.

Was the engine low on oil when it had the issue with the pressure light coming on?

Old 06-01-2011, 03:23 AM

I just got an oil change two weeks ago & oil light flashed on yesterday. Dealer also told me it was normal to burn a quart an oil every 1000 miles.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe normal for high mileage engines built in the 50-60's when the 1 quart per 1K miles figure was circulating.

The dealer must mean, normal for Toyota products.

Suggest you check the oil often and add more as required. Toyota may do nothing to help, it does no good to have a damaged engine due to low oil when you are stuck with the cost of repairs.

Often Toyota will finally own up to a major issue with their product and stand behind it. Perhaps it is just a matter of time (and more complaints).

Old 06-02-2011, 10:16 AM

It's not normal, get a whole of the district manager, Toyota knows there is a problem. This is fairly widespread. No matter what it says in the manual this is unacceptable!

Old 06-03-2011, 07:46 AM

I had faced the same problem with my 2007 Camry during the early days. And, later my dealer had fixed the problem somehow. You just need to follow whatever instructions they recommend to you. Probably your engine itself may be faulty, please check it out.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Angry 2009 Camry Burning Oil Since I Bought It

I purchased a new 2009 Camry 4 cylinder LE in 2008. Also purchased was the 100,000 maintenance package. I started noticing between the 5000 mile oil changes done by the dealer, I would have to ad 1 to 1.5 quarts of oil to level off the oil to the line marker on the dip stick. To me this was a big problem. No new car should be burning oil like this. When I brought it up to the service manager, his response was "did I read the Manual". I wanted to knock that fool out right then and there and found it hard to restrain myself. I continued to bring up the fact that my car was burning oil, all to no avail. I do not have time to do the 1000 mile oil check BS. Toyota knows they have a problem. My only recourse is to keep the car until is paid for and then get rid of it immediately. This is my last Toyota. They cannot get any more of my hard earned dollars. I now have 60,000 miles on a 2009 Camry and I just put in another quart of oil. Toyota SUCKS. There should be a class action suit on this. New cars do not burn oil. Or should I say why would I buy a new car only to have to periodically refill it with oil. I could have saved myself some stress and just bought a bucket from the beginning.

Quick Reply: 07 Camry oil consumption