General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 10:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

07 Camry oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Angry

If your's has not gotten bad yet, just wait! Mine has 99,000 miles and had consumed 4.5 quarts at the last oil change. I have filed complaints but nothing will be done since my Camry is out of warranty. I've got a Ford(185,000 miles) and an Acura(165,000miles) that use no oil. Cannot believe Toyota has come to this. This will be the last of a long line of Toyotas in my driveway!

Old 12-01-2011, 06:58 PM

94 V-6, 128,000 miles. 1MZ engine. Not burning oil at all. Mostly city driving.

Dealer changed the oil 2 months ago and replaced the oil with Pennzoil 5-30 wt petroleum oil. I asked about Synthetics and they said they would use it, at an extra charge. They say customer like the Synthetic a lot.

Maybe I'll try that next time, but I wonder if I am complicating things. I had beaucoup leaks when i put Synthetic in my Ford V-8 truck. Leaks everywhere.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

A brilliant move by Toyota in redefining what is normal oil consumption, my is hat off to their PR department! On top this is most owners only experience mega oil consumption after the warranty has expired, saving Toyota even more money by putting the repair costs onto the owner.

This paves the way for every defect to be deemed normal.
-------------------------------------------------------------
The 1MZ-FE does not have an oil burning issue, it's the 2AZ-FE.

If the engine leaks, it may leak more with synthetic. Might try a blended oil.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:06 AM

Well some good news. Dealer admitted that there is a problem with oil consumption on my 07 Camry LE. It has 80,000 miles so it is out of warranty. However they will replace rings pistons ect. And I will not pay more than $1,000 dollars. And I got it in writing. Still sucks but at least it has a 1 yr /12,000 mile warranty. Just long enough for me to trade it in next year and buy the new 2013 Honda Accord.

Last edited by Jesse; 12-13-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:48 AM

I got the "its normal" response on just about all my concerns with my 07 not just this consumption debacle. I've taken my complaints as far as they care to be heard. Disgusted to say the least.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Default 5W20 vs 5W30

I originally brought my car in with the oil burning issue at 55,000 miles while still under the powertrain warranty and have been going through the 1000 mile, now 1200 mile routine of Toyota checking my oil; however, the last time I was at the dealership I noticed that instead of the recommended 5W20 they put 5W30 in and it did not burn off as fast. When I returned it had not burned off the so-called normal rate of one quart per 1200 miles as the technical bulletin indicates. I asked them why they were using the heavier oil and they stated that it was a mistake on my bill and that they had really put 5W20 in. That was BS because they refilled with 5W20 while I watched, and now the oil has burned over a quart in only 700 miles. I also believe that Toyota, in order to cover up the issue puts an additive in when the oil is changed so that it never burns beyond the one quart in 1200 miles. By the time that you figure it out, your mileage has exceeded the 60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

I will make the case that I brought the car in initially during the warranty and therefore, they need to cover the repairs.

My sentiment is the same as the rest of you; it is time to punish Toyota by complaining on every rating site and filing complaints with the BBB. Also, this will be the last Toyota that I ever purchase. It's a shame since I have a 2000 Toyota Echo with 198,000 miles that has never needed repair or even burns a drop of oil.

Last edited by TrueGrit; 12-15-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Default 2008 Oil Burner

I switched to 5W-30 several changes ago in my 2008 4-cyl. Camry. It has slowed down the oil usage but has not stopped it. I switched because I refused to have the EPA cram-down of 5w-20 performed on me. It is obvious that due to massively overzealous emissions goals, some dim-witted twit at the EPA convinced the remaining collection of dim-witted twits at the EPA that a low viscosity would yield less resistance and therefore a micro-fractional increase in gas mileage. Durablity and reliability be damned as the EPA would prefer all cars to have a drop-dead date.

How Toyota got roped into this is nto much of a mystery. When the government comes calling, you bend over. Just ask the folks at Gibson Guitar.

If you want to stay in a car, find something old you like, fix it up, and drive it. That's what the subjects in Cuba do, and with the EPA as master, we ain't far behind.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:59 PM

If your Ford truck leaked, its because it had a lot of leaks, not because of the synthetic. The synthetic just unstopped the holes.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

If Toyota has an additive to substantially reduce oil consumption they could market and make even more millions. The dealer may have used a thicker oil by mistake or reduce the oil consumption.

There is a service bulletin out where if oil consumption is more then 1 qt/1200 miles and the car is still under warranty Toyota may now rebuild the engine.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:17 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but I've been following this forum and this thread for the past year or so.

I bought the 09 Camry SE and I started to note the oil consumption around 25,000kms (around 15k miles). Now its at 45,000kms (28k miles) The dealer called me every 1000kms (600miles) to monitor oil consumption for 8000kms. I saw that they had to add oil TWICE in between those tests, and their reasoning was "so they can monitor consumption." I thought this was ridiculous. By 6000kms the engine would've been dried out. After all the checks they came to a conclusion that the consumption was "normal." contacted the head office of Toyota and they said "We don't reject claims, we usually follow what the advisors and technicians have to say", while the dealers said "we have to follow what the head office says." Both sides are clearly avoiding accountability. I just don't know what to do anymore.

As of today its been 5000kms since the last oil change and the dipstick showed the oil level was a little bit below the bottom dot. Same story as before. I just don't know what to do anymore. I saw the TSB from August 11, but I don't think my problem falls within their 1qt,1200miles. I've seen most of the people having problems with their Camry's are getting it at 70-80k miles, I started to get it at 15,000 miles.

Last edited by zkjr88; 12-25-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply: 07 Camry oil consumption