General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 10:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

07 Camry oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

The oil pressure switch is either on or off. The oil pressure light is a catch all indicator.

Low oil can cause low oil pressure in cases such as yours but doubt Toyota had in mind the light to be a used as low oil level reminder.

The oil pump either has access to enough oil or it doesn't. If it does the pressure is OK, if not the pump starts sucking air.

IF the car is still under warranty costs should be under warranty. If not expect to pay.

The oil consumption issue is now well known. The dealer will most likely check the oil, top it off and ask you to come back at XX miles to check it again. The procedure is standard and defined by Toyota. Although the dealer may not state why they do this the goal is to determine if the oil consumption is more or less then 1 quart every 1200 miles.

If less the dealer will state the oil consumption is "normal" per Toyota's (arbitrary) standard. If more then the dealer should apply the TSB which is covers rebuilding the engine.

The link below has the TSB:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...0LlCnQ&cad=rja

If the car is out of warranty there most likely is not much you can do. Might be a waste of time to go to the dealer as even if there is a problem they will not fix it for free.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:22 PM

Suggest you monitor the oil consumption yourself. Fill the oil to the full mark, then check every 1200 miles (US). If the consumption ever becomes more the 1 quart per 1200 miles the TSB applies to the engine.

Oil consumption will not get any better with mileage, only worse.

Typically for the dipstick the distance between the top and bottom marks (or top and bottom hash mark area) is 1 quart.
Thanks for your replies, really appreciate it.

So if the distance between the top and bottom marks is 1 quart, then it will be have to be on the bottom dot at 1200miles for it to be repaired by Toyota (which is totally ridiculous), correct?

Old 12-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Would guess the distance between circles was 1 quart this is standard. So bottom of the dot would be an approximate location for 1 quart low.

Before checking the oil let the engine sit for a time to let all the oil drain back into the pan from the upper engine parts. Checking in the morning before starting is best.

When adding oil give the oil some time to flow out of the dipstick tube into the pan before checking.

Have the car on a level surface when checking.

Yes ridiculous.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:36 AM
Default Value of these Camry's

Has anyone done any research to see if this defect has negatively impacted the value of these Camry's? The dealers seem to all look like a deer in the headlights when you mention it to them. So, use their deliberate ignorance agianst them and trade the cars in on a new one. If there really isn't a problem, then value should not be impacted. In the meantime, let everyone you care about know these things are radioactive and should be avoided like a 1975 Chevy Vega.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

The issue doesn't seem to have hit the main stream press, only comments about Toyota's declining quality.

Owners only know about the problem when they experience it, the dealer is not going to warn them about the possibility.

If an effected car is resold there is no way to tell unless it is driven long enough to show up as low oil.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:14 AM

In the owners manual for the Camry it states that between the full and add marks on the dipstick represents appx. 1.6 quarts. The capacity for the 4 cyl. engine is 4.5 quarts, including filter. Also in the manual it clearly states that using 1 quart of oil in 600 miles is considered normal. Now with the TSB that came out in 8/2011, Toyota has doubled the mileage to 1200 miles, clearly in favor of Toyota.
I have a 2007 Camry with 26,000 miles, it started using oil at about 19,000. I am not near the 1 quart in 1200 miles but it will at some point get there. I have a Totota Extended warranty until 4/2013, so at some point I will take it to the dealer for the comsumption test. I may also try using the argument that the manual states 600 miles for 1 quart and now the TSB states 1200 miles for 1 quart useage.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:55 PM

Camry 07-09 oil consumption

This is a big problem. Toyota is trying to do whatever possible to avoid the problem and we consumers are stuck with the problem. As a loyal Toyota owner, this is a major disappointment. I cannot sell this Camry as it will be a problem for the new owner and I am not about to hide the existing problem. Consuming 4 to 5 quarts of oil between oil change could NEVER be a normal for any standard. Toyota must admit their fault and try to fix the problem for their consumer. This is really a big big disappointment. Those with the oil burning problem should start a blog of some sort to deal with the issue. I am tired of fighting with local dealership. Service man at the dealership is acting as if everything is normal. They are saying that Toyota said it is normal and they are not going to do anything about it. I am tired of fighting and don't know what to do with the car. Big big disappointment.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:16 PM

Take it to the district sales manager if the dealership is not budging. File a complaint on the NHTSA site. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ Write a letter to your congressman/congresswoman. Call your local paper and ask if they would be interested in the story of this.

At the rate my car is using oil, I never need to do an "oil change" per se. It's just constantly being replenished. I don't even think the 60,000 mile warranty limit should apply to the TSB here. That warranty is to cover normal wear and tear assuming a properly manufactured vehicle. This is an obvious, major manufacturing defect and all affected vehicles should be repaired.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

A previous post on this thread has names and addresses for Toyota officials. Suggest writing the Director of Toyota Motor Company.

He has acknowledged Toyota quality has been dropping since 2003 which is more then any other previous Director has.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:33 AM

I've been following these subject and have not posted until now. I purchased a brand new 2007 Camry the 4 banger and I do my own oil changes. I use Castrol High Mileage oil 5w-20. My Camry has 165,000 miles and it's consuming oil at a pretty high rate 1qt per 750 miles. Does anyone have a suggestion on changing oil weights? Or should I stick to my current oil?

Quick Reply: 07 Camry oil consumption