General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 10:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

07 Camry oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 05:56 AM
Default Boricua is correct - Toyota TSB

Originally Posted by boricua
don't waste your time doing this ,the only fix for this problem is rebuilding the engine .if your car is under 80k and it burns 1qt whit in 1200 mile toyota will repair it for FREEEEEE. i can provide you the Toyota Service Bulletin

T-SB-0094-11 August 11, 2011
2AZ-FE Engine Oil Consumption

Service

Some 2006 – 2011 model year vehicles equipped with the 2AZ-FE engine may exhibit engine
oil consumption. The piston assembly has been changed to minimize oil consumption. Use the

following repair procedure to address this condition.
The actual document is a 24 page pdf file. People are getting free engine rebuilds all over the place if their Camry burns over 1 quart of oil in 1,200 miles.

If you could fix the problem with a can of BG snake oil or whatever, Toyota wouldn't be paying thousands per engine to fix it !!!!!!!!

Old 05-26-2012, 08:55 AM

Thanks for your reply guys. So where do I get a copy of the service bulletin? Im on my phone and i dont know if what was posted is a link. I'm just over 75k miles also, so I'm nearing that limit that was mentioned of 80k miles.

Thanks in advanced!!

Old 05-26-2012, 12:54 PM

Found the service bulletin. It's for cars with 60k miles or less. I'm at 78k. Won't work for me.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Leolo007
Found the service bulletin. It's for cars with 60k miles or less. I'm at 78k. Won't work for me.
call toyota they will take care of the problem they are pretty good on customer service (first owners ) we done a few goodwill on the dealer the i work ,make the right phone call,i believe they extend this bulletin to 80k ,i have to check on TOYOTA TIS ,we are close till Tuesday

Old 05-26-2012, 03:04 PM

another way to slow down the oil consumption is using 5w30 oil ,toyota said 5w20 on the camry with a 2AZ-FE to increase the MPG ,all other models with a 2AZ-FE engine they use 5w30 oil . we done this at the shop customer goes from 2qts every 1200k down to 3/4 of a qt in 1200k

Old 05-26-2012, 05:17 PM

Boricua I sent you a PM. I'll leave the car in the garage until you find out about the extension of the allowed miles. Don't want to go over the 80k just yet!

Old 05-26-2012, 11:35 PM

Hello JB I will be trying your solution this weekend. I bought a kit (had no option) that brings the air system cleaner and also the fuel injector cleaner. Do you still recommend the air system cleaner for this process?

also, what kind of oil did you start using after your fix? synthetic, blend or conventional? And what rating?

Thanks, and lets see how this works.

BTW I have a 2007 Camry with the 2.4L with 75k miles and burns about a quart of synthetic oil per 1000 miles.
When i noticed the consumption i switched to 10w30 conventional, it was still using it at the same rate, after the BG i changed the oil using the same 10w30, I now have 3500 miles and no oil usage, I am extremely happy with my results so far, I am not a BG representative, but use it frequently and love the stuff! I was worried about cylinder wall damage but now I know it was only gummed up rings, Pour the 44k in the tank. I was going to trade the car for a sonata if this did not work.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:06 AM

For all the people using synthetic. Synthetic is double the miles of regular oil changes.Nothing special so 7000 miles is nothing special.Also don't ever change from synthetic to regular because you will ruin you engine.!!!!!! YOu use sythetic you stay at sytnthetic!!!!

Old 09-16-2012, 02:49 PM

Just want to update on my situation. My 07 Camry w/ 2AZ-FE engine was having the comsumption issue. Took it to the dealer, and they did two rounds of consumption tests. There was no charge at all for these tests. Both times, the result was 1.5 qts. consumed per 1000 miles. To fix it, they recommended repairs of about $4500. I calmly said that I was aware of the TSB on the issue and was kind of hoping that Toyota would cover the fix. He said he couldn't approve that, the service manager would need to do that, and gave me his contact info.

So then I sent the service manager a polite, facts only email about my situation, and provided the whole history of dates and mileage of when I had changed oil/replaced oil/noticed the consumption and asked if he would be able to check on the possibility of Toyota covering it. After a couple days I got a reply that the district service manager had secured Toyota's approval to cover it as a one-time "goodwill" gesture (it was a few thousand over 60K by now), and telling me to go ahead and schedule my appt. After 3-4 days in the shop, I had new pistons/rings/seals, the whole deal. It's been fine ever since.

Really great response from them, no push back at all, I was impressed. So if you have this issue, let them do the consumption test so it's verified and documented, and then bring up the TSB issue and just be very calm about the whole thing. You may get what you want without any need to fight for it.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:28 PM

Considering how Toyota has weasled out of recalling an engine they know is bad, I am convinced they are on their way to giving customers the shaft. They might fix a few. But think about how many thousands (or millions) of cars out there are drinking oil. I have a 2005 that's on a steady diet of 5w30. Of course my warranty is out. It doesn't matter to me if it's over 80K. These cars are supposed to be reliable for well over 150K. If Toyota really backed up their product, they would replace everyone's pistons. But there are now much better and cheaper cars to buy that won't cost an arm and leg to fix. None of them are domestics by the way...no surprise.

Quick Reply: 07 Camry oil consumption