General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 10:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

07 Camry oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 PM

Those 2.4L I4 engines are JUNK from day 1. Bad oil return passages that clog even with 5,000 mile oil changes are a joke.

They burn more gas than the 268HP V6 ..... and the V6 never burns ANY oil.

Anyone that got burned on this should be putting together a class action lawsuit. Toyota put out a TSB for a complete engine fix which I previously posted ...... but it is good for only 60,000 miles.

Toyota is behaving like Chrysler on this issue.

I thought they learned their lesson from the sludge debacle. Truth is .... there is absolutely no evidence that anyone that actually had followed the 7500/6month oil change interval and coudl PROVE IT ever had the problem. Toyotas were simply "zero tolerance" for not following their owners manual recommendations. Thus they settled with 120,000 mile guarantee on the engine ........ so long as the oil had been changed and could be proven to have happenned "withn the last year."

These POS 2.4 engines need the same type lawsuit ........ since even following their own oil change recommendations......... the engines would still fail. The POS 2009 I4 Camry which I rented when my 2009CamryV6 got rear ended in an ice storm ....... was the absolute worst car I had ever driven. No power to go up a hill. Using way more gas than my 2009 V6. ........ I thought ....... yikes what's wrong. It was rented from Enterpise and the Firestone oil change sticker said it was recently done with 5W20 oil per specs ...... so I checked it and it was dark grey and 1/2 quart low after 2,000 miles. I thought ......... so might the air filter be clogged ......... Well ....... I checked it and it had been replaced ... albeit by some off brand.

The car had about 25K when I rented it ........ and it was already a candidate for the graveyard. Oops ...... the junkyard.

Last edited by Paul3637; 11-25-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by wangdwuqq
A Casual
Louis Vuitton Bagsis the best addition to your wardrobe because you can easily blend it with your other aassociated item are shirts. It not onLouis vuitton Outletly Louis Vuittonmakes up an important part of their dressing but tell about an overall personality of a man. Now a day there are lot more shirts available according to different occasions and according toLouis vuitton outlet fashion trends they vary from wedding shirts to casual shirts. Although fashion changes very rapidly bLouis vuitton outlet
Louis Vuitton Bagsut you should look for such kind Louis Vuitton Saleof casual shirt that can go with lots of other accessories and does not look to go out of fashLouis Vuitton Outletion very soon.
Before goiLouis Vuitton Outlet
Louis Vuittonng for a purchase of mens casual shirts you must take few things into account to have the best shirt for yourself louis vuitton luggagein otheLouis Vuittonr case if you want to gift a shirt to anyone. The most important thing for a casual shirt is that it must not be too specLouis Vuitton USA ific. Sometimes people go for shirts that look too trendy and cannot be worn at the work. Select tLouis Vuitton Outlethe shirt that can go for maximum occasions. Another important thing is the color of shirt, choose the color that looks best on you but do not go for many similar looking colors becaLouis Vuitton Pursesuse it will not look good.
It is generally said that shirts are the best addition to your wardrobe because if you know thaLouis Vuitton Bagst how to blend it with different pants, jeans, dress pants and casual trousers. It totally depends louis vuitton bagsupon you that how you utilize your casual shirt. If you know little about the fashion world, the bestLouis Vuitton in mens casual shirts would be the block colors like black, pink, white and blue. Do not go for pattern cheap louis vuitton bagsor the printed ones because they will go out of the fashion very soon. Moreover selecting the basic fashion colors will not only help you to blend colrs with different louis vuittonbackgrounds but will help you to avid basic fashion blunders. Like wearing high patterned shirt with loLouis Vuitton Bagsud colored pants, that can give an altogether clown look.
What does this have to do with "07 Camry oil consuption"?

Old 04-17-2013, 05:19 AM
Default This forum has been hijacked

Originally Posted by winstead22
What does this have to do with "07 Camry oil consuption"?
Spammers have ruined this forum.

go to toyotanation.com for good info on oil consumption and other tips

2007 I4 burning oil like crazy, oh no! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Old 06-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Default 2007 Camry SE - Toyota Certified Used Car w/Toyota Extended Warranty to 100,000 miles

At 65,000 miles, our Camry decided to start using oil. It went from 4500 miles per quart of Castrol GTX 5W-20 to 1800 miles per quart!

I checked the oil for my wife, as she drives the car and to my surprise, the level was at the bottom of the dipstick...I was shocked.

Prior to the 65,000 mile mark, I would use 5W-30 GTX in the Summer months, and 5W-20 for the Winter months, and the oil consumption WAS the same.

I had the oil changed to Wolf's Head 5W-30 just to see if there was any difference, and it used one quart at just about 1800 miles. The transmission fluid has always been changed every 20,000 miles, and the coolant at 40,000 miles; the oil has been changed every 5,000 miles due to the fact that it is always on the highway and the interior of the engine is still factory clean.

MY QUESTION is: What is the likelihood of Toyota fixing this engine with the Toyota Extended Warranty?

YOUR assistance is APPRECIATED!!!

Old 06-23-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by walkmeister
At 65,000 miles, our Camry decided to start using oil. It went from 4500 miles per quart of Castrol GTX 5W-20 to 1800 miles per quart!

I checked the oil for my wife, as she drives the car and to my surprise, the level was at the bottom of the dipstick...I was shocked.

Prior to the 65,000 mile mark, I would use 5W-30 GTX in the Summer months, and 5W-20 for the Winter months, and the oil consumption WAS the same.

I had the oil changed to Wolf's Head 5W-30 just to see if there was any difference, and it used one quart at just about 1800 miles. The transmission fluid has always been changed every 20,000 miles, and the coolant at 40,000 miles; the oil has been changed every 5,000 miles due to the fact that it is always on the highway and the interior of the engine is still factory clean.

MY QUESTION is: What is the likelihood of Toyota fixing this engine with the Toyota Extended Warranty?

YOUR assistance is APPRECIATED!!!
Camry oil problem does not start at certain mile. It was a problem from the start. It wasn't as bad at the beginning but oil consumption has been their from day one. If you bring the car to Toyota, and if they determine the oil consumption problem, they will replace oil rings on all 4 pistons few other engine part replacement. If there is a problem on the cylinder, this will not correct the oil burning problem. For my case, Toyota did replace all of pistons and oil rings but oil burning is still a problem. It doesn't burn like it used to but still I have to add oil between oil changes.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:55 PM

Hi I am new here and need your help.

I have a 2002 Camry V6 and while driving it from PA to WI over the weekend the power steering failed. An auto repair shop has quoted me $1300 for fixing it saying its the rack and pinion that has to be changed.

Another small shop said its the power steering pump and it will cost about $600.

No one is guaranteeing that they have the diagnostic 100% right.

Is there any advice you can give me as to how to fix the power steering

Last edited by shivm; 06-27-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

See private message.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:02 AM

New to this site but this thread has been a wealth of knowledge. Until an idiot showed up. Mine is an 08 with the 4 cylinder. 57K. New in Jan 08. Have the Toyota Platinum care plan. Last 3 oil changes I saw a drop in oil level. Just went drastic. Oil light came on today a few times and it was 2.5 quarts low. I brought it up but getting the normal usage response from the dealer. Ima go after them with the TSB I found here. Thanks for the info. I'll let ya know how it turns out but I don't like the fix. I would think some cylinder block damage is present as well. 2 summers ago my headliner was falling in the rear. Had to fight them but got a new for free but it wasn't OEM.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Keep us posted and good luck. I think you are in for a fight if you want the dealer to do anything.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

If the 2AZ-FE, 2.5L engine as you find this engine can have an excess oil consumption problem.

The TSB states something like oil consumption in excess of 1 quart per 1200 miles is excessive and the TSB should apply. The dealer will go through the motions of checking the oil consumption and state normal even if abnormal. If over the TSB amount they can do repair however you may need to motivate them.

Dealers have rebuilt engines under the TSB, thus repairs are possible but Toyota defaults to the dealer. If the oil consumption test finds it is over the TSB amount and the dealer fails to act you can complain to Toyota customer service, the number should be in the owners manual.

Quick Reply: 07 Camry oil consumption