General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-28-2015, 11:05 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Intake and Exhaust System
Print Wikipost

2000 camry- oxygen sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Default 2000 camry- oxygen sensor?

My 2000 camry is in the shop right now (meineke) and it appears that the oxygen sensor needs to be replaced. How easy would this be to do myself? Anyone have any idea what kind of cost I am looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

A few items one needs to know. What engine model, was the car built to California or 48 state emissions standards (there should be a sticker under the hood stating which) and what sensor (the car has more then one).

You can replace the sensor yourself easy enough. You may need a special socket that makes removing the sensor easier. Available at low cost from auto parts or tool stores.

For an indication of prices research your required part at the site below:

RockAuto Auto Parts

Suggest using a Denso brand non-universal sensor or going to the dealer (which will be more expensive). Other brands and types may work but some times cause issues with the check engine light coming on.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
A few items one needs to know. What engine model, was the car built to California or 48 state emissions standards (there should be a sticker under the hood stating which) and what sensor (the car has more then one).

You can replace the sensor yourself easy enough. You may need a special socket that makes removing the sensor easier. Available at low cost from auto parts or tool stores.

For an indication of prices research your required part at the site below:

RockAuto Auto Parts

Suggest using a Denso brand non-universal sensor or going to the dealer (which will be more expensive). Other brands and types may work but some times cause issues with the check engine light coming on.
Oh gosh, I don't know! I live in and bought the car in CA (original owner) and I know it's a 4 cylinder. The check engine light came on which is why I took it to meineke. They called about the sensor but don't have an estimate for me yet.

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Most likely then a California emission car. This engine has more then one sensor.

If you know which sensor you can buy the correct part and install it yourself. The computer readout of codes will determine which sensor it is, assuming it was an AF sensor caused the check engine light coming on.

Suggest doing an internet search on replacing AF sensor on a 5SFE engine. This should provide hits, perhaps some with photos to give you a better understanding of the repair.

If you shop around for prices, depending on which sensor is bad the cost will range from $70-110.

Last edited by toyomoho; 05-15-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Most likely then a California emission car. This engine has more then one sensor.

If you know which sensor you can buy the correct part and install it yourself. The computer readout of codes will determine which sensor it is, assuming it was an AF sensor caused the check engine light coming on.

Suggest doing an internet search on replacing AF sensor on a 5SFE engine. This should provide hits, perhaps some with photos to give you a better understanding of the repair.

If you shop around for prices, depending on which sensor is bad the cost will range from $70-110.
Thanks for your help!

Old 05-16-2011, 04:42 PM

find a local mechanic he should be able to in stall for about fourty dollars plus the part 70-130

Old 05-16-2011, 08:49 PM

find a local mechanic he should be able to in stall for about fourty dollars plus the part 70-130
$40 is still expensive... maybe around $ 25 - $ 30.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:06 PM

I Think Book Mechanic For Same Inspite of Doing Your Self !!

That Will Be The Best !!

As Mechanic Can Understand Same More Than You Buddy !!