General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 overheated, coolant in #2 and #3

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Default 2008 overheated, coolant in #2 and #3

New user needing some help.

My son's 08 overheated, lost most/all of the coolant. We bought it used and the failure appears to be from the previous owner using JB weld to repair a radiator leak. The repair just failed and dumped the coolant rapidly.

There is coolant leaking into #2 and #3 cylinders.

I am new to repairing these engines.

My questions are:

How well does the head (and the block) hold up to overheating on these engines?

Is it even remotely possible that simply replacing the head gasket (and I would assume that machining the head would also be required) would resolve the issue or is it a high likelihood that I will need a new head?

Last edited by bismic; 01-10-2017 at 08:16 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

The block is aluminum. Did the engine seize up, make noise or have other indications of internal damage due to loss of coolant? If so problems.

The engine doesn't like being overheated and can result in a failed head gasket.

Some engine blocks had issues with a few of their head bolt threads failing during normal operation. When your examining the engine. Look for signs of coolant on the back of the engine where the foam insulation is for the intake manifold. This site and the internet has lots of info on this issue including repairs. Might read up on this.

If lower end is OK. Its worth an attempt to remove the head and take a look. Check the block for cracks and excess warping.

Examine the block threads for signs of pulling out. Not all bolt hole threads pull out, its somewhere between 3 and 4 in the same area.

And this engine can have an issue with excess oil consumption due to the piston oil return holes plugging with carbon. How was the oil consumption? Toyota as an extended warranty.

If the head is OK might install new valve stem seals as a precaution against future leakage. Unless needed don't grind the valves or you will need to re-shim valve clearance.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:49 PM

Many thanks for the detailed response toyomoho!

The engine did not seize up, just coolant in the two cylinders.

I have been reading up on the head bolt threads - very interesting. My son has not had any previous oil consumption or loss of coolant. I will look for signs of coolant on the back of the engine. Thank you also for the advice on grinding the valves.

mark

Old 01-11-2017, 12:52 PM

One other question -

If a new head is needed, where would be a good place to get one?

TIA,
mark

Old 01-11-2017, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Have had good luck working with auto machine shops.

Ebay lists slews of them complete with valves/cams for $300-$400.

This engine was used on many Toyota models but they were slightly different in terms of HP. As such the head my be slightly different, don't know.

Suggest narrowing down any replacement head to being from a Camry and your year or close. This Camry generation was between 2007-2011.

You could do a part number cross match at an online Toyota dealer parts inventory. Checking if the year/model of head P/N your buying is the same as your engine.

When taken the engine apart. Record were each shim goes with each valve. If the head can be reused they will need to be placed on the same valve.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:24 AM

Thanks again Joey.