Go Back   Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Enthusiast Forum > General Toyota Camry Forums > General Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2009, 03:32 PM

Default 93' 2.2 rough idle

I have a 93 Camry with the 2.2. When the car is cold it idles smooth around 1100rpm and as it warms up and the rpm drops the vibration starts at about 800rpm and obviously gets worse from there down. I'm suspecting the problem to be a bad sensor. What should I look at first?

Thanks.
Dan
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Camryforums!
Old 11-15-2009, 12:37 AM

Does the engine itself seem to have poor idle quality to the point where it may stall?.... or is it possible that you are simply feeling too much of the engines vibrations due to worn motor mounts? Failed motor mounts (which is common due to age) can allow too much of the engines vibrations to be transferred to the body of the vehicle. This might be something to consider. The fact that you have a high idle when cold leads me to believe your IAC valve (valve that controls idle speed) is in good proper working condition.

JJ
Old 11-16-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_CA View Post
Does the engine itself seem to have poor idle quality to the point where it may stall?.... or is it possible that you are simply feeling too much of the engines vibrations due to worn motor mounts? Failed motor mounts (which is common due to age) can allow too much of the engines vibrations to be transferred to the body of the vehicle. This might be something to consider. The fact that you have a high idle when cold leads me to believe your IAC valve (valve that controls idle speed) is in good proper working condition.

JJ
JJ,
Thanks for the reply. Let me give you a quick history of the car.

I havenít owned the car very long. I picked it up with a bad head gasket. I only drove it for a few hundred miles like that. The Vibration was present then. It is a fairly pronounced vibration, but not to the point of stalling. I pulled the head off and replaced the head gasket, timing belt, water pump, front engine mount, and top engine mount (dog bone). Both of those engine mounts were shot, but the rear one looked good. Now with the 2 new mounts, the vibration is unchanged from before. When I had the head apart the exhaust valves did show that the engine had been running very lean. I'm guessing that is a bad O2 sensor and is unrelated. Havenít replaced the O2 sensor yet, but will tomorrow.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 11-16-2009, 12:50 PM

submit to reddit

Tags
1993, 22, 92, 93, adjust, camry, cold, engine, high, idle, poor, rough, running, shakes, toyota, vibration