General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93' 2.2 rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Default 93' 2.2 rough idle

I have a 93 Camry with the 2.2. When the car is cold it idles smooth around 1100rpm and as it warms up and the rpm drops the vibration starts at about 800rpm and obviously gets worse from there down. I'm suspecting the problem to be a bad sensor. What should I look at first?

Thanks.
Dan

Old 11-15-2009, 12:37 AM

Does the engine itself seem to have poor idle quality to the point where it may stall?.... or is it possible that you are simply feeling too much of the engines vibrations due to worn motor mounts? Failed motor mounts (which is common due to age) can allow too much of the engines vibrations to be transferred to the body of the vehicle. This might be something to consider. The fact that you have a high idle when cold leads me to believe your IAC valve (valve that controls idle speed) is in good proper working condition.

JJ

Old 11-16-2009, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Joel_CA
Does the engine itself seem to have poor idle quality to the point where it may stall?.... or is it possible that you are simply feeling too much of the engines vibrations due to worn motor mounts? Failed motor mounts (which is common due to age) can allow too much of the engines vibrations to be transferred to the body of the vehicle. This might be something to consider. The fact that you have a high idle when cold leads me to believe your IAC valve (valve that controls idle speed) is in good proper working condition.

JJ
JJ,
Thanks for the reply. Let me give you a quick history of the car.

I haven’t owned the car very long. I picked it up with a bad head gasket. I only drove it for a few hundred miles like that. The Vibration was present then. It is a fairly pronounced vibration, but not to the point of stalling. I pulled the head off and replaced the head gasket, timing belt, water pump, front engine mount, and top engine mount (dog bone). Both of those engine mounts were shot, but the rear one looked good. Now with the 2 new mounts, the vibration is unchanged from before. When I had the head apart the exhaust valves did show that the engine had been running very lean. I'm guessing that is a bad O2 sensor and is unrelated. Haven’t replaced the O2 sensor yet, but will tomorrow.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 12-08-2020, 09:30 PM
Unhappy Did you ever figure out what the issue was?

Picked up a 1993 Camry with a rough idle thinking it was just the bad dogbone mount(I don't know much about cars clearly). Since then I have cleaned the pcv valve, iac, throttle body, and have changed everything that has to do with ignition. The last thing for me to check is the egr valve, but it is so hard to get off that I don't want to do it unless it will 100% help. Someone else told me that those camry's had bad grounds. I did notice that the idle gets worse when you turn on the headlights and such. But i also noticed that it gets worse when I use my brakes, and those are vacuum powered i think so it might make sense that its the egr right? if it was the grounds it wouldnt affect the breaks right?