General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 camry heater hose replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 11:19 AM
Thumbs down 95 camry heater hose replacement help

Hi - I have a 95 camry 4 cyl DX manual with original heater hoses that have small leaks and decided to change them. Already did the upper and lower radiator hoses with no issues.
But these smaller hoses seemed to be baked on rather tightly.
Im assuming the hose that comes off the upper radiator connection is a pretty solid connection and can withstand some force. However I am concerned about the connections going into the firewall into the heater core. I assume these arent so tough.
Can I heat these connections up with something? Should I use a utility knife and gently score them until I can peel them off? Also I have one spring clamp on the firewall side hose that I tried to get off but now has slipped into a position that is impossible to grab anymore and I dont think its completely off the connection. Can I take a Dremmel tool with a cut off wheel to the spring clamp if I am real careful? Would it then just snap off? Is there anything special I should do to clean the connections before I put the new hoses on? I will be using worm gear clamps to secure them. How many hoses are involved in carrying the antifreeze around this car? I know there is one small 90 degree bend hose coming out of the firewall into a mixing Box (I think) and another 90 degree small bend hose underneath the upper radiator hose on the engine side not directly off the radiator. Are these the only 6 hoses that carry antifreeze?
Thanks for the help, Kev

Old 06-08-2014, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

The heater hose connections at the firewall are soft and can bend or distort if pliers or other tools are used too aggressively. The other hose connection are stronger.

There are only two hose connections at the firewall. One of the hoses runs to a valve which controls coolant flow based on heater temp settings, these is no mixture valve. Check this valve, as it can leak.

The spring clamps can be difficult to remove due to access. There is a special tool for this but most use pliers.

Cutting the clamp off with Dremel tool will work. If possible, cut on the opposite side of the clamp where one would squeeze. If no access, cut where you can but not between the two tangs you press together to open the clamp as cutting here does no good.

Once the clamp is removed, if hose is still stuck. Don't twist or pry on the firewall heater hose connections as these can be deformed. Use a sharp utility knife and gently start slicing the parallel to the hose until it is split. Then gently peal back the hose as just cutting it may not be enough break the bond between hose and tube. Take your time as the tubes do distort if handled to rough.

The coolant system has 3 "rubber" sizes of hoses.

The 2 large radiator hoses.

The smaller but same size heater, bypass (hidden under various items, and if engine equipped oil cooler hoses. The oil cooler is below the oil filter.
The oil cooler has 2 hoses.
Bypass hose.
Heater hose going to heater coolant valve.
Heater hose going from valve to firewall connection.
Heater hose going directly to firewall connection.

And 2 still smaller hoses going to the IAC valve.

If car has an automatic trans, there are two small hoses going between trans body and lower radiator. These are trans fluid hoses going to the trans fluid cooler built into the the radiator.

Replace spring clamps with screw clamps but suggest using a name brand not cheapo as all clamps are not the same quality.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:55 AM

Thanks Joey
Dremmeled the hard to access clamp and used the sharp utility knife to cut all hoses.
came off fairly easy except for the firewall connection. Think that was mostly due to tight access. Anyway new hoses seem leak free and the car ran up to temp and no further. Used NAPA parts including the worm gears so hopefully they will hold up. I've been losing antifreeze for awhile so the next month will tell if it were the hoses or a bigger problem. For what I can see from your description of the hoses - I think I have replaced all but 3 of them. The little one from the valve to the firewall seemed in good shape. The one small one under the upper radiator engine connection doesnt look great but I dont see or feel any leaks there. Then I did see only 1 going up to the IAC valve. That is split off the heater hose going directly to the firewall. It seemed OK but I dont know if I could even get in there to change it out. I never would have even noticed that if it werent for your description!
Thanks very much - Kev

Old 06-09-2014, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting back.

Did you check the bypass hose, it's near the coolant outlet manifold, Same size as heater hose. Have had this split.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:35 PM

I have not checked it - unfortunately I do not know where it is exactly
I will try and google it and check my repair manual