General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strut replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Default Strut replacement

I just got a price for KYB struts all around with front strut mounts and replacing linkage for the rear strutsfor 1200.00 for my 94 Camry.
Does this sound like a good price?

Old 10-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Strut replacement

Though prices ranged for $250-$500 per wheel for the strut and labor. Might call around and get a few quotes. No additional labor should be charged for installing the mounts as they need to come off anyway to replace the struts.

Replacing the links is easy enough.

Four KYB struts and front mounts would run about $400 miall order. Rear links around $80. Say $540 with shipping.

Assume the shop can get the parts at these prices or cheaper.

$1300 - $540 = $760 for labor.

If you are handy with tools you can do the job yourself. You will need a spring compressor that can be rented, otherwise it is not that big of job. If the first time doing it, perhaps a day of labor.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:59 AM

toyomoho, I am planning this job as well (4 struts). Are new strut mounts necessary? How would I tell?

Old 10-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Depends.

The rubber material between the mount and strut rod can deteriorate over time. The result is a knocking noise when going over bumps. Both front and rear mounts can have this issue.

The front mounts have a strut bearing that can go bad. This bearing allows a section of the mount to rotate with the strut when steering. The result is a popping noise when turning the wheel.

This can also be the steering column U-joints or a plastic bushing at the lower part of the column housing, thus if you have this noise fine tune the location. If the bearings are bad, replacements are available.

If buying front mounts depending on brand they may or may come with the bearing. KYB does apparently Toyota does not.

If the mounts are not making noise not sure how to inspect them without removing. You can view the upper part of the front mounts from the engine compartment. Perhaps exercising the shocks while watching how the end of the strut rod moves around inside the mount can give an idea of the condition of the rubber material in the mount. Same for the rear struts.

The front mounts on my 1995 were OK but the bearings were popping. The rears are still original and have never made noise.

One more thing although the function of the KYB mounts is OK; the quality is not up to par with Toyota. For a time though they might have been fakes but others have stated the same thing so must be the real thing. They are about ½ the price of Toyota.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:51 PM

Yea, I spec'd out everything as KYB and the bearing does come with fronts. With strut mounts it comes close to $500 for parts - ouch. No bumping or popping noise yet butI may replace the fronts so as to get a new bearing. It's just such a pain to pull them out again to replace the mounts. Decisions, decisions.