Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Broken key...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 01:07 AM
Default Broken key...

It is very common problem with the majority of car owners. They are getting late and unlock the car door quickly, suddenly key was broken in two pieces.
So what is the next step...
Are you call lock smith or do some thing that are running in your mind. I was faced this situation only for one time in my life. It was very disappointing moments, i was try to pull out broken key with using suitable tools and then call lock smith for getting new one because i had only one car key...

Old 04-14-2016, 07:06 PM

I know this is an old post, but i stumbled across it and I feel the need to write a little more about it, because I have been in the position where i needed some information on broken keys and I couldn't find anything. Now, I know a little bit about them and the process that goes into them so I would love to share the knowledge.

Keys can break for a host of different reason and these reasons range from normal wear and tear of being used extensively and in some cases it can be broken off just because there was excessive force applied to the key while someone was trying to turn it in the lock of the car or in the ignition of the car.

When a key breaks off it is very easy for whoever is holding the key to automatically freak out and act like the world is coming to an end, when only it is a minor mishap. Broken keys are a common occurrence (I know because I have broken my key in the door of my Solara before) and they happen to many car owners time and time again. So it is important that you know how to handle this situation should it ever arise.

Once your key has broken off in the lock or in the ignition, it is important that you do not instinctively try to remove it because you might end up pushing the broken shaft of the key further back into the lock or the ignition. You could either go the DIY route to get the key out or you could get in contact with a locksmith that will help you with the key extraction. Either way, before you attempt anything it is important that you make yourself familiar with what goes on during broken key extractions. When i needed to do that i read up on this: Car Key Extraction Services | Remove Broken Key From Car Lock

Helped me out a lot, hope this helps out whoever has a broken key. Like I said earlier if you are not familiar with all this information do not attempt anything because you might end up damaging your wonderful, cool Toyota.