Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   Appearance (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/appearance-10/)
-   -   headlight cloudy (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/appearance-10/headlight-cloudy-2275/)

janet 08-21-2007 06:30 PM

headlight cloudy

Does anyone know of any home cleaning solutions I can use to clean by front headlight plastic covers. They are very cloudy and before I spend too much money on new ones I am willing to try something cheaper.
96 Camry

Bansy 08-21-2007 10:02 PM

RE: headlight cloudy

I'm not sure how safe this is for camry headlights but I've done it with celica headlights so I'm willing to say it's probably just as safe. Get a hairdryer and set it to the hottest setting and try to see if that doesn't clear up the condensation. Just aim at the effected areas. If by cloudy you don't mean condensation, you should be able to open up the headlights and just clean them with your hands. This will take longer and as a camry owner i should know this but since I just started getting into it, i don't but you MAY have to take off the front bumper to get the headlights off. I would probably just invest in new headlights because this haze in your headlights will just keep coming back if the headlight has bad seals.

Black95Cam 08-22-2007 01:23 AM

try mcguire plastX. for mine it works but after a few weeks i have to re-apply..

janet 08-22-2007 11:43 AM

Thanks for the tips

Black95Cam 08-22-2007 03:50 PM

your welcome. good luck.

SherwinCuppy 08-24-2007 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Black95Cam

try mcguire plastX. for mine it works but after a few weeks i have to re-apply..

i use it too...

boogz 08-28-2007 01:43 AM

I actually just bought some plastX just a couple of days ago and it seems to work really well. I put some on after i wash my car and then re-apply the day after.

Viktor 08-30-2007 06:38 PM

My friend's mustang had the same problem. The headlights turned piss yellow after so much use. What he did was he wetsanded them down with 400grit, then 1500grit, and finaly 2000grit and then he buffed them and put some wax. I can say that he saved himself about $200 bucks.

boogz 09-02-2007 04:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Viktor

My friend's mustang had the same problem. The headlights turned piss yellow after so much use. What he did was he wetsanded them down with 400grit, then 1500grit, and finaly 2000grit and then he buffed them and put some wax. I can say that he saved himself about $200 bucks.
My friend did exactly the same thing to his headlights on his supra and they turned out very nice. I would have to say that if the plastix dosent work you can also try the wetsand as a last resort.

janet 09-04-2007 06:04 PM

What do you mean when you "wetsand".