Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Tint

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:33 PM
Default Tint

Ok, I have been wanting to tint my windows for some time now, but due to the fact the car is only 1/2 mine (buying from the parents :s - I am the only one who has ever driven the car though) I am unable to obtain permission sincemy paternal unit has had "bad experiences" with the film pulling off. I do like to keep the windows down during the summer, which would probably only add to the problem. To the question: Is having new pre-tinted windows made too expensive (I'm guessingin the2-300 range for the4 doors)or would it just be better to wait until I hold the title? And I wouldnt even know whom tocheck with locally (the triad area in North Carolina) toGET them cut. Im thinking if the pre-tint would be a good investment I MAY could sell them on it (as long as the tint was reasonable). Is the wearing away of the tint still a very common problem that I could avoid? Thanks for waiting through the semi-rambling post

Old 12-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Default RE: Tint

well in the houston area tint is very common and only cost about 100-150 when you go into the shop just ask for there warranty most places offer a life time warranty. mine was peeling becuz it was scraping against something in the door and he fixed it and ive had it for like 1year and a half still looking good. oh and watch what you clean it wit can cause fadin

Old 12-08-2007, 05:17 PM

Everytime I've gotten my windows tinted or my friends done, I've always been given a lifetime warranty. One of mine started to peel after about 3 years, I took it back (keep the receipt and warranty in your glove box so you don't have to worry about losing it) and they fixed it right there for free, no worries. If you go to a tint place to get a quote, ask them about their warranty policy. If they don't tell you it's lifetime and not only protects you against it coming off the window as well as it turning purple (the tint should never fade if u get quality) then go somewhere else as you are dealing with a shady company out to make a buck and doesn't care about you. Especially because the warrant they are upholding is the company who made the product, not their own. Most tint manufacturers that are legit and have a good product guarentee thier product for life. Don't accept anything less! Gettin the glass cut will cost WAY more, especially with the labor to install and remove the old glass. Llumar is probably the best tint product in the country, easy.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-09-2007, 05:49 PM

It does thanks! I wasnt taking installation into account...and since I will need both arms and legs - I'll see how my persuasion skills hold up. If not...I guess a year and a half isnt so long (when I will have finished buying it from the parents)

Old 12-09-2007, 07:02 PM

If you're worried about your parents thinking that the tint will block/obscure your vision, do it like this, dark tint in the rear and medium on the driver and passenger. After 1.5 years, you can have the front windows redone if you still want them dark. In CA, you're not allowed to tint the driver/passenger windows but using this configuration, the cops don't seem to bother you.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:25 AM

Don't worry about tints nemore- they're a quantum leap from when they were purple and fading. Try to go to a shop that uses 3M film. mine is 35 in front and 15 in back.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:16 AM

ORIGINAL: OnE_To_HatE

Don't worry about tints nemore- they're a quantum leap from when they were purple and fading. Try to go to a shop that uses 3M film. mine is 35 in front and 15 in back.
Thats what the problem is...my dad had gotten tintingdone back in the day (read: 1970's) and he had nothing but problems and now refuses to consider tinting. Until I have finished paying off the car from them, I have to wait (go figure, he'll let me grind metal off the frame to accomodate a new headlight assembly, splice in to the electrical wiring to get the halos on the new headlights, but I get a flat "no" to tinting :-\)

Goobee: Thats what I was planning on doing anyway

Old 12-10-2007, 11:31 AM

lol. tell 'em- " i wanna get my car tinted for my birthday. " LOL.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:02 PM

lol My Bday is in sept....gonna try for christmas and a quick question - I have always assumed that the numbers your talking about (35 in front and 15 in back) is the amount of light the film lets in? Is there somewhere I can find what my state's (North Carolina)laws on tinting are? Fairly sure that setup would work...but wanna make sure

Old 12-10-2007, 09:25 PM

Ask the shop you're gonna get it done with because they should know. honestly- here in ca. ; we can't have any sort of tint in the front windows at all. but i did it anyways because i drive a subtle camry. not a riced out car. To simply put - as long as ur not attracting attention.. they won't go after you. I've had mines on for about 2 years now and nothing yet.

Quick Reply: Tint