Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

2003 Camry LE (no JBL amp) - Replaced Radio - Poor FM Reception

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 07:07 PM
Default 2003 Camry LE (no JBL amp) - Replaced Radio - Poor FM Reception

Hi - I have done a ton of research on this but am finally posting asking for help. I have installed two different radios in our 2003 Camry LE (very basic - without the JBL sound system) and am getting very poor FM reception with the new radio. All the forums I have read said that the rear window antenna is amplfied but my car's wiring harness does not appear to have an antenna amplifier wire. Pictures attached.

Is there anyone out there with a 2003 camry LE that has successfully replaced the radio? From the pictures attached, you can see I have no antenna amplifier wires. And I only have one Antenna plug, not two. Also, there is no additional wire (like Orange or Brown) attached to the Antenna wire either.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Neither the wiring diagram or Toyota dealer website references an antenna amp.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:52 PM

I have not been able to find a specific 2003 Camry LE wiring diagram. Can you share anything? Or are you looking at an OEM toyota manual?

Every diagram posted on the internet shows the power antenna wires. The radio itself has these two pins but my wiring harness is not using them obviously. For example.... https://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Toyota-Wiring.asp

So, every aftermarket radio will just have bad reception? Like really bad?

If so, I'm thinking I might buy an Antenna splitter and add a 2nd aftermarket amplified antenna. I'm thinking that would be my cheapest and easiest solution

Old 01-26-2020, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Power antenna wires are for a retractable power antenna.

If the car had an antenna amp the location may be behind rear passengers side roof pillar trim. If seating in rear seat on passengers side would the pillar behind your right shoulder.
Take note the door and lock remote control amp and antenna may also be in the area.

Search here to determine if Toyota list an amplifier for you year.

https://parts.toyota.com/Toyota__Camry.html

Old 01-26-2020, 09:12 PM

Thanks! I'm thinking maybe the OEM radio has an antenna amp built into it. My cheap LE does not have the diversity antenna....just one antenna connection.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Could be issues with antenna wiring or the wiring connection to antenna.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Could be issues with antenna wiring or the wiring connection to antenna.
Hi - Thanks! I thought about that yesterday. So, I plugged the old radio back in and it works fine. When I was testing the fade/balance of the new radio, I found out my left rear speaker was dead. So, while I had the new radio hooked up, using a voltmeter, I tested all my connections for the new harness adapter. I made sure all my connections were good (the ones that were being used) and they were all fine.

I ordered an external mast antenna and a Y-adapter to run two antennas. I'm going to test if that helps. If it does, I will mount the external antenna permanently.

And now I know I have to get new rear speakers for my beater... :-)

Old 01-28-2020, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Are both radios the same model?

Are you sure its no reception or could it be no amplification for speakers?

Old 01-28-2020, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Are both radios the same model?

Are you sure its no reception or could it be no amplification for speakers?
Hi - No! the aftermarket radio is a Boss double din model with Apple Carplay. The one in the picture I first shared is the OEM radio that came with the vehicle.

Its definitely just a reception issue because the aftermarket radio using Apple Carplay had no issues playing music with ample volume.

Today I received a FM signal booster and I hooked it up. That solved my problem. I don't care about AM and this signal amp is not providing a humming or interference from anything.

Universal Auto Car Radio FM Antenna Signal Booster Radio signal Amplifier for Marine Car Vehicle Boat RV 12V Signal Antenna Enhance Universal Auto Car Radio FM Antenna Signal Booster Radio signal Amplifier for Marine Car Vehicle Boat RV 12V Signal Antenna Enhance

Last edited by kwaropay; 01-28-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Good job in finding a fix!

Quick Reply: 2003 Camry LE (no JBL amp) - Replaced Radio - Poor FM Reception