Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

alternative bluetooth microphone

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 02:10 AM
Default alternative handsfree microphone

In short I want to replace the built in microphone for the bluetooth hands free system with a corded headset microphone.

I have a 2007 Camry hybrid with NAV.

I spend a lot of time in my car and have frequent important calls to make. The built in microphone just doesn't cut it for the audio quality I desire. Using a corded headset (or bluetooth for that matter) attached to my phone may seem like an obvious solution, but I'd prefer stick with the hands-free system built into the car -- Mostly I want to preserve the incoming call notification I get on the nav screen, radio silencing, voice dial, mute on the nav, etc. I prefer to listen to call audio through the speakers as well as opposed to headset.

So my wild dream is that I can basically tap into where the built-in mic is installed and instead route a wire down to someplace better where I can install a 2.5mm headset jack. Then I can plug a standard headset and use that solely for the microphone (won't be using the audio on the headset).

Am I crazy? Any better suggestions on how to get what I'm looking for.

Anyone know much about the built in microphone? Is it even possible to just put a headset jack in place of it?

Anyone have any quick pointers on removing the overhead console and/or wiring diagrams for all the stuff up there? Mine has the mic, garage door openers, lights, moonroof, etc.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by timeck; 02-20-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Default Best handsfree

Here is a cheap 4 in one solution: Toyota Lexus Scion 98 11 4in1 Bluetooth Handsfree USB iPhone iPod Vehicle Kit | eBay
Works best from what I have seen.