Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Error 5 when trying to use the IPOD

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Default Error 5 when trying to use the IPOD

I got an ERROR 5 when i tried to use the IPOD on my 2010 JBL stock radio.
Does any one know what is ERROR 5 ?

Old 10-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Default error 5

Hi Taz
I have a 2010 XLE--with the JBL as well. I had the same problem, and I was trying to use the 20gb 4th gen IPOD---that is not compatable with this system. I had 2 older 20bg 4th gen, and then a new, classic 80gb--the 80gb works great.
You could try unplugging the usb ipod cable from the port in the car, sometimes that resets it. first time, it actually showed my IPOD name, in the upper panel on radio disp. every time after that, it just shows the song playing.
I put my IPOD in all songs mode, and then use the RDM button, with the folder icon, and that shuffles all the songs for me--I leave the IPOD plugged in and when I shut off and lock the car, it turns off as well
hope that helps you
Model

Old 10-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Default Error 5

I am using an old 80G IPOD not sure what Generation but i know it is at least 4 years old this could be the prob. i will get a new IPOD and try it.
Do you know if there is a better radio software. The software that reads the Ipod is not user friendly at all.

Thanks

Old 01-25-2010, 10:43 AM

On my '10/SE/ with JBL... I'm getting Error 5 too. A lot. IT'S BEYOND FRUSTRATING!

I've tried using two iPods with the car so far...
- iPod nano (3rd generation, 8GB, bought April '08)
- iPod touch (3rd generation, 32GB, bought Dec '09)

Though, I've noticed that it's not always due to a single error. I think it's a catch-all error message which represents when the Toyota interface wants to give up on trying to read the ipod.

I've also noticed that I will get the error if it tries to read an audio file with special characters. For instance:
- A podcast "No Agenda" has its Artist label set to "Adam Curry & John Dvorak" ...in this case, it was the "&" which was causing the error 5.
--- So as a fix I went through my entire library and searched and removed any "&" or ";" from the file name, artist, and description... THIS FIXED my issue I had for a while.

But now I'm still getting the error 5 even after cleaning-up my audio text.

What Toyota really SHOULD to do is:
(1) fix this bug and get us an update somehow.
(2) OR get us better error codes so we know how to resolve the problem.

I'm a software programmer and would be willing to connect a laptop to the car interface if they told me to!

This error makes the iPod interface worthless to me.

Also, has anyone else noticed the lack of support for international characters in the text? C'mon, that's just plain laziness.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:22 PM

I just updated to OS 4.1 with an iPod touch G2. I can now plug into the USB AUX slot on the JBL system and control the iPod with the steering wheel radio controls and plasma cluster on 2010 Camry XLE.

Previously I was on 4.03 or 4.02 and was getting the Error 5.

Try updating the firmware and see if that helps. Good luck to you all.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Default Error 5

I too have been getting this error. Couldn't find anything much about it online. I've found on mine anyway that its due to the fact that the iPod is not in the "play" mode. I just go on the iPod and put it in play and then it's recognized by the Camry JBL system. Toyota should put out a list online so drivers can find out what they all mean. Even their manual doesn't have a list of error codes.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:19 PM

that's very rare, I also look on the web and didn't find any results that could tell directly, sorry about that