Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Recommendation: Car Alarm / Tinted Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Default Recommendation: Car Alarm / Tinted Mirrors

Hi I'm new to this forum and would like suggestions on a car alarm and tinted mirrors. To give you a little background, my dad has a (I believe) 2002 Toyota Camry and I wanted to buy him a car alarm that has certain feature, if supported. The order of importance is listed from top to bottom

1. Remote Entry
2. Car Alarm
3. Trunk release
4. Remote starter
5. At least 1000 ft range
6. Remote window opener

Do you think it's possible to have all these features?

As for the tinted windows, I was look for a rear mirror as well as side mirrors that can automatically tint high beams. I've looked online and haven't seen any for the camry.

Any help/suggestion is appreicated! Thanks!

Old 06-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Recommendation: Car Alarm / Tinted Mirrors

hey,

yeah, look into alarms by Viper and Clifford. Although there are TONS of good systems out there (i currently use AUTOPAGE), those are probably more reliable and durable. careful with the 2 way transponders with LCD displays...you drop them and most of the time things will dissapear off the screen, and they aren't cheap to replace. Most systems offered now a days have addons for trunk/remote start, and maybe window opening. And keep in mind the range will vary in real life conditions.

I forgot but i think homelink sells some, but they're not cheap. Google search. the rear view mirror inside the car can be generic...it doesnt need to fit a toyota.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

you can easily get an alarm with many of the features that you listed, it will be costly for added parts that the car may not have.

Like nodrogkam said there are many different brands out there, the more commonly trusted brands are viper and clifford. The alarm that i have(scytek) has an LCD face on it, and i was told that if it were damaged, it would cost me a whoping 80 bucks to get it replaced.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:22 AM

You're looking for exactly what i was looking for EXCEPT for the remote start because i've seen waaaay too much remote start system go bad.. one in particular had a malfunction and kept on crankin' the starter until it fried but anyways- this is what i bought..

-BASIC-
Clifford 10.5x - 1/4 mile range. (iDK how many ft. that is but i think its plenty far)
Car Alarm- (Dual Shock Sensors)
Keyless Entry- (Lock/Unlock)

-Add Ons-(these are all from the main company DEI )
Keyless Trunk Pop (because my 99 was manual trunk open)
Window Roll DownModule
Back Up Battery
---------------------------------------------------
Overall, costly but worth it IMO. People sometime mistake the LCD remote for a cell phone. LOL. Hope this helps.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

I too have heard stories about people's remote starters going bad. I wouldnt recommend getting a remote start on your car. But if you REALLY need it, by all means.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

I've had a remote starter on my car for years. It is made by DEI and it is incorperated with my alarm. I got it installed when I bought my camry new in 1998. From what i've seen the remote starters with the issue are usually the cheap no name ones! You can't go shoping at "random corner" electronics stores. They will sell you junk and that is when you end up with issues. If your going to get remote start pay extra money for the good stuff.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:06 PM

Thank you everyone for your feedback, they are all very well appreicated!

OnE_To_HatE: how much was your setup and how long did it take to install?

Thanks!

Old 06-19-2007, 08:19 PM

im in the boat with nodrogkam with a autopage (RF 420 LCD). just got my installed about a week ago and seem to be working great. autopage do have an alarm system with the requirements you want and more. its just the fact that how much are you welling to spend. a guy came into the shop that i was at and pay about 700+ dollars for his alarm which included 1 mile range, and is hook up almost to everything inside the truck i.e. seat warmer, window opener, turn on/off the head unit, defroster etc...

Old 06-19-2007, 08:50 PM

$250 for the 10.5x INSTALLED. (Fry's)

$180 for Trunk/Rolldown/Battery INSTALLED. ( I bought 'em on ebay for $80 for the lot and it cost me $100 to install all ov them)

ssssso.. $430.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:30 PM

i mean it possible he spent that much.. mine cost me $322 installed thats with a discount on a semi decent one. he went over the top and got the best one they have on the line. also, thats what he told us.

Quick Reply: Recommendation: Car Alarm / Tinted Mirrors