Detailing Discuss detailing your Camry within.

Camry 2000LE tail lights problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Default Camry 2000LE tail lights problem

I had a problem with my Toyota Camry 2000LE tail lights (license plate lights and two second lights) but I found three wires that supply the voltage to these lights disconnected then I fixed the problem and all the tail lights woking properly now but still I can see the tail lights fault indicatior in the dashboard after fixing the problem even after starting the engine how can i reset this tail lights fault indicator in the dashboard, my friend brought his scanner that he used to use with his car HONDA Civic but we could't find any fault code in the scanner how can I solve this problem?
Also I can see the check engine light and the oil light on in the dashboard but before starting the engine and once I start the engine these litghts disappear how can I reset these lights that apprear before starting the engine. Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards

Old 08-06-2011, 12:58 AM

The check engine and oil light are suppose to be on I believe before you start the car. Just so you know the bulbs are working. You might Have a taillight bulb in backwards... or the wrong bulb. Turn your headlights on and your hazard lights and walk to the back of your car. If one of the bulbs is really bright constantly, or one is not blinking, then either replace or turn it around. I had a similar problem on my 96 and that light fault indicator went away after I put the bulb in the right way.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by freelancer1988
The check engine and oil light are suppose to be on I believe before you start the car. Just so you know the bulbs are working. You might Have a taillight bulb in backwards... or the wrong bulb. Turn your headlights on and your hazard lights and walk to the back of your car. If one of the bulbs is really bright constantly, or one is not blinking, then either replace or turn it around. I had a similar problem on my 96 and that light fault indicator went away after I put the bulb in the right way.

Thank you for your answer , I tried and all the lights work properly, i still do not know what is the problem,

Regards

Old 08-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Did you post before on this subject?

You can't reset the light fault indicator, it has no reset. The device is not monitored by the cars computer, there will not be any fault codes found.

Any reason the wires were disconnected?

The sensor box itself can fail resulting in the dash light being on even when the bulbs, wiring, etc are OK.

Suggest replacing all the tail and brake bulbs even if they look OK. Check the bulb sockets for corrosion that can cause the electrical resistance in the wiring to increase, poor ground connections, etc.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Did you post before on this subject?

You can't reset the light fault indicator, it has no reset. The device is not monitored by the cars computer, there will not be any fault codes found.

Any reason the wires were disconnected?

The sensor box itself can fail resulting in the dash light being on even when the bulbs, wiring, etc are OK.

Suggest replacing all the tail and brake bulbs even if they look OK. Check the bulb sockets for corrosion that can cause the electrical resistance in the wiring to increase, poor ground connections, etc.

Thank you for your answer, i already replaced all the break bulbs and the licence plate bulbs with new ones, just I will try to replace the back up bulbs and the turn left/right bulb and see wheather the bashboard light will turn off or not.
Best regards

Old 08-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

The sensor is connected to the brake and tail light circuit (including any duals filament bulbs).

The turn signal, license plate and back up lights are not on the sensor circuit.

Check the bulbs sockets for corrosion, etc.

If everything seems OK it could be the sensor box itself is bad.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:51 AM

The sensor is connected to the brake and tail light circuit (including any duals filament bulbs).

The turn signal, license plate and back up lights are not on the sensor circuit.

Check the bulbs sockets for corrosion, etc.

If everything seems OK it could be the sensor box itself is bad.

Thank you for your answer, do you have the wiring diagram of the sensor and how it is connected to detect the fault of the tail lights, i am Electrical Engineer but i need to know the wiring or the circuit diagram to figure out what is the problem.

Best regards

Old 08-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

I have the wiring for a 99 model, your wiring colors may vary.

There is no schematic provided for the senor and the circuits are potted making access very difficult.

Wiring is as follows:

Green/White = Power input from brake light switch
Red/Blue = Power from Gauge fuse
Yel/Green = Goes to dash indicator light

Red = High mounted brake light
Green/Red = Stop light bulb filaments

Green = Tail light power from Tail fuse (activated by Taillight relay via light switch in car).
Green/Orange = Tail lights

White/Black = Ground

The sensor monitors current flow. With ign switch on and stop light switch closed via brake pedal operation, if the currant flow between the brake switch power input and the stop light bulb power output wire is open (burned out bulb, wiring issues) or has a higher flow, the circuit between the dash indicator light and ground is completed allowing the indicator bulb to be powered.

For the tail light circuit ditto but the sensor detects currant between the tail light power input wire and tail light power output wire.

It is possible for the device to activate the dash indicator light if the currant draw is slightly higher then normal due to corroded terminals, a bulb filament that due to age has a higher currant draw. Sometimes one filament in a dual filament bulb brakes dropping onto the other filament. The light may still work but cause a problem.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:23 AM

I have the wiring for a 99 model, your wiring colors may vary.

There is no schematic provided for the senor and the circuits are potted making access very difficult.

Wiring is as follows:

Green/White = Power input from brake light switch
Red/Blue = Power from Gauge fuse
Yel/Green = Goes to dash indicator light

Red = High mounted brake light
Green/Red = Stop light bulb filaments

Green = Tail light power from Tail fuse (activated by Taillight relay via light switch in car).
Green/Orange = Tail lights

White/Black = Ground

The sensor monitors current flow. With ign switch on and stop light switch closed via brake pedal operation, if the currant flow between the brake switch power input and the stop light bulb power output wire is open (burned out bulb, wiring issues) or has a higher flow, the circuit between the dash indicator light and ground is completed allowing the indicator bulb to be powered.

For the tail light circuit ditto but the sensor detects currant between the tail light power input wire and tail light power output wire.

It is possible for the device to activate the dash indicator light if the currant draw is slightly higher then normal due to corroded terminals, a bulb filament that due to age has a higher currant draw. Sometimes one filament in a dual filament bulb brakes dropping onto the other filament. The light may still work but cause a problem.
Thank you so much for these information, i will check the wiring according to these information.
Best regards

Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 PM

great info!I'll keep this info for the future...

I'm not very familiar with the color I usually get confuse on that.

Quick Reply: Camry 2000LE tail lights problem