Detailing Discuss detailing your Camry within.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:57 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

how to clean headlight lenses?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Default how to clean headlight lenses?

I have a '95 Camry and I guess it's common for their headlight lenses to have residue built on them from the inside, thus blurring the lights when they're turned on. I've asked many car wash shops and none seem to do this kind of job. Any recommendations?

Old 11-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Default RE: how to clean headlight lenses?

well i dont know if it work but when i was going to school for automotive iseen a few people use tranmission fluid will clean it good.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:20 PM

The lights are lexan so after many miles they get yellow from road grime and sun checkering and bug juice ect. get some 2000 grit wet sand paper wet dry but you want lots of water. Try a small spot keep it flowing with lots of water and you may see that the spot will turn clear again. I would get blue low tack masking tape and protect the paint. The low tack BLUE will not leave the glue behind if you take it off the first day. Do not leave it on for several days after it has been wet. This sanding with lots of water works on boat hatches that you can not see through any more as well. You can sand like hell and not damage the lense just nice smooth strokes and all over. Do not work in a small spot unless it has a ding then feather it out. 2000 grit is used to finish some paint jobs to make them glossy. I have used it on many diffrent plastic parts it works. If you want a quick fix do it over trick AMSOIL Mirical waterless wash and wax does a great job.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:46 PM

We recently purchased a 1999 Camry and the headlights are rather dim. To clean the headlight lenses, do they have to be removed to clean the inside of the lenses or is the problem on the outside of the lenses? If the inside needs to be cleaned, how are they removed? Is there a website that will tell me how to remove them. Thanks!

Old 01-15-2008, 10:16 PM

for honda civic. if there headlights are glass which i assume so. you can bake it and open it. i believe there should be clips holding them. when put back together use silicone and bake it again and put it back together.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:22 PM

I have some friends that have used a product called Crystal View headlight cleaner and it helped a lot. But I have used paste that I think is called Plastic X and I could not tell any different so I did the wet sand it was a night and day improvement. Just evenly sand the lens and use a lot of water.
Nathan

Old 03-30-2008, 01:57 AM

Most headlight lenses usually accumalate that nasty residue on tha OUTSIDE of tha headlight. Many people mistake that it is on tha inside. Now unless u have a problem with condensation inside tha headlight, tha problem will usually be only on tha outside of tha lense. In that case id follow tha suggestions that people give of either tryin Plastic X, or better (in my opinion) Wetsanding them. For a even quicker more efficient way of doin it, spend $200 n buy brand new ones

Old 04-16-2008, 12:52 AM

I read on an article..that toothpast works is that true???

Old 04-16-2008, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Try leaving the lights in place, as Jakster states the blue painter tape works great for masking off painted body surfaces.

Wet sanding with 2000 grit paper (lots of water). Once done use a fine grade rubbing compound then finish with a plexiglass plastic cleaner and a coat of wax. Use a back and forth rubbing action working across the complete lens not a round and round motion. When using the sand paper try to get as much contact with the lens as possible in order not to make grooves.

Use patience and take it slow.

Not doubt there are other materials that work just as well but I used what was on hand at the time.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:23 PM

I completely agree with toyomoho, and remember, when wet sanding, you dont want to rub too hard. Yes the toothpaste trick works, i did it myself, but the wetsanding does a much better job.

Quick Reply: how to clean headlight lenses?