Detailing Discuss detailing your Camry within.

Polishing the car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default Polishing the car?

So, the other day my trunk and rear bumper got struck with something red leaving behind the red marks (I suspect my kid). The red paint does not rub off by hand so I picked up some Turtle wax polishing compound & Scratch remover. I'm sure everyone has their preference with polishes but I figured Turtle wax has been around forever so how bad can it be.
I have not tried to remove the paint rub yet and I was wondering if I should just polish the whole car and follow that with a wax? I will be doing all of this by hand. If I just take care of paint rub area will that spot be all shiny and the rest of the car not? Or will it be dull? The car is white so there is some forgiveness.
I do know not to press down to hard when applying as it can damage the clear coat. I guess I am looking for advice from those who have polished a car before and any suggestions.
Thanks for any input!

Old 05-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest a mild solvent to remove only the paint. Clear coats are typically polyurethane products which are not damaged by mild solvents. This way only the paint is being removed.

Might use a bug and tar removal product, some use WD-40 which is mostly mild solvents. Use a soft towel (perhaps terry cloth) or clean sponge, NOT paper towels made of wood products. Let the solvent do the job not excessive hand pressure.

Once the paint is off (and wax), clean off any solvents with alcohol or wash area.

Look for scratches. If found use the most MILD abrasive you can find. Products labeled polishers should be less aggressive then cleaners which are less aggressive then compounds.

If possible use a synthetic foam pad specifically designed for clear coat polishing. Auto stores should stock them. Don't use wool products.

Use a back and forth action, not round and round and avoid localized pressure. Check work by standing back and viewing reflected light off paint at an angle. If the angle is right, you will see every flaw in the paint and body work.

The key to not damaging clear coats is to use MILD abrasives, the right pad, right motion and minimal pressure. Clear coats scratch and pit due to excessively abrasive materials and too large of grit in the compounds. More aggressive materials make scratch removal faster but will leave marks.

Personally once the paint is removed and no obvious scratching I might call it good, then wax area.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome! Thanks for your help. I will try to remove the paint this week.
Thanks again!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:36 PM

You should have clayed the paint before polishing or applying any protectant. Bear in mind that its all about preparation and application.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Camri, it sound like you know quite a bit about protecting the paint and finish on cars. Would you be interested in doing a write up or 'How-to' on some stuff such claying, etc. I've never clayed a car nor polished so it could be informative for me and the members here. Let me know if you are interested.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:56 PM
Default shiny spots on white car

I have done the above to get rid of tar, dw-40 then wax the tar spots to get the rest and it has left shiny spots. Is there a remedy for this. Just went to a car wash & they said toyota has cheap paint.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Could be the paint job as others have complained.

If you have gone through the clear coat or just abraded it with whatever cleaning cloth used with the solvent until it no longer shines?

The key with factory clear coated paint jobs is mild, mild, mild. Even with the cleaning cloth and the cleaning action.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:02 PM
Default spots

your article was helpful but maybe u misread mine, the problem is the shiny spots left after waxing the tar specs off. Polished &Waxed over those areas, better- but can still see them in sunlight, not so much in the shade.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

WD-40 should not harm paint.

What type of cloth did you use?

Best to be gentle and express the rubbing effort over a wide area using mild pressure.

WD-40 can attract dirt which can act as an abrasive.

Is the clear coat a matte finish or shinny?

It is possible the shinny areas are polished areas. Look closely at the paint to determine the surrounding area is rougher then the shinny spots.

Might use a VERY MILD polish!!! (or even WD-40), correct type of cloth and gently blend the area around the shinny spots. Try one out of the way spot first to see the results.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:35 PM

I use meguiars goldclass wax with pad to apply, remove with cheesecloth. I must be pressing to hard, I'm impatient. Thanks for all the good intel.

Quick Reply: Polishing the car?