Detailing Discuss detailing your Camry within.

Trunk randomly flooding

Old 10-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Default Trunk randomly flooding

Has anyone else ever had this issue? Back in late november, I had noticed a lot of ice inside there while retrieving the spare tire, I figured it had been there a while, and wrote it off, just pulled out the ice and tossed it aside. Today I discovered the same thing (water instead of ice, but still..) All the plugs in the bottom of the spare well seem tight, and I see no holes in the floor. Im thinking just attack the entire thing with a can of undercoating, so no water can somehow jusp up and kill my amp. Any other thoughts?

Old 10-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Trunk randomly flooding

Try to follow the water trail as sometimes the water comes from above. Leaking rear window seal, trunk lip seal, rear light assy seal, attachment fitting that penetrates the fender, etc.

There is also a quarter panel air duct, drivers side of trunk, lower quarter panel that can leak.

Also check the quarter panel wells on each side for water, remove the plastic storage bin on each side.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:25 PM

That was my first thought, that something up top might let it leak in and build up below, but there hasnt been any indication of a leak in the storage area of the trunk. Only in the spare well. Granted there is a hole in the passenger's side wheel well, there was no water on that cardboard "floor" in that area. Only at the wheel well. I did notice wetness coming from one of the 3 little plugs on the side of the spare well, closest to the bumper. I figured that plug isnt right, letting water come in little by little every time we're out in the rain (didnt help the time we got stuck in a foot of water [:'(]) and it just builds up that way.

I am curious as to the purpose of the air duct tho..

Old 10-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure what the airduct does, it was listed as a source of leaks in a TSB. It might exhaust the air inside the car. Air comes in from the outside for the heater, etc and needs to go somewhere.

Have you checked the side trunk wells on each side of the tire wheel. Typically there is a plastic box that drops in from the top to cover the area and can easily be pulled out for inspection.

Is is possible water can sneak in from the back of the trunk going in under the cardboard?

It might be condensation. Hot air from the cabin flows into the trunk, cools and causes moisture. But this would not be typically. Maybe the vent is not working as it should.

If installing an amp might raise it a little above trunk flow and install a plastic shield under it. Or mount it inside the bottom half of a plastic storage box, keep the top half open to allow air to flow and cool the electronics.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:51 PM

I dont think there could be that much condensation, there was about 1-2" of water pooling. I did check the side wells and they're dry. one hs a hole, but no water damage to that sopt on the cardboard.

The amp and cap are secured to the side and top of my sub box.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

That's a lot of water!

A few other places to check while your at it.

Run you hand up and under the area of the inside of the trunk where the back of the speakers are. There is a steel channel running across the chassis that is part of the frame that has oval cutouts in it. Feel on the inside of the channel (upper side) for signs of water. If water is leaking down from the trunk gasket or rear window seal it can collect here.

Also the rear tail light units can leak from the top due to a gasket failure between the housing and chassis.

If no signs of water coming it must be the hole in the wheel well.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:52 AM

Im wondering if there could be a hole perhaps under the center piece where you tie down the spare. I cant really remove the thing, so I cant check for sure.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

You can work backward, try pouring water into this area and determine where it comes out.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:31 PM

Yea that is workin backwards huh? Yea, I thought about that idea but with the water in there this whole time, there hasnt been any leaks thus far. Im thinkin about just sprayin the plugs that I think it could be, and see if the water gets past them. (branchin off of your idea)

Old 10-23-2008, 05:04 PM

I have that problem with water leaking in my trunk too!! I sealed that BS trim piece that has the back up lights in it and i did not fix it. I pulled the plug right outof the spare tire hole for now. frustating.It does seams to be on the left side which makes me thinkof that vent Toyomoho spoke of. It does pool in that tray there on the side which may be too high for the lebt to let water in.Hey, there any migets out there that want to spend a rain storm inmy trunk?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trunk randomly flooding