DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

1999 XLE Trunk Striker & Latch

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Default 1999 XLE Trunk Striker & Latch

Hi all - just recently purchased a used 99 Camry. The trunk will no longer close. On closer exam, the striker is loose. I checked the Hayes manual and it talks about adjustments, but does not show diagrams as to what's on the other side of the two bolts nor how to remove the entire mechanism.

So anyway, the bolts are stripped (not entirely my fault - one of them was stripped to begin with.)

Now the issue is whether I should go to a Toyota dealer to get them to replace the whole thing, or to attempt removing the two stripped bolts myself. If I knew what was on the other side of the striker (i.e. how the bolts secure), I could then decide whether I want to attempt cutting or drilling out the bolts or leaving it to the dealer. I'm suspecting it is a simple metal plate with two holes, but I have no way to confirm.

Has anyone ever taken apart the striker on their trunk? or replaced the striker?

What would be a good strategy for removing these two (stripped) bolts? Drilling? Cutting off the bolt heads?

I would imagine that the mechanics at Toyota would have to deal with the same issue - anyone know how they would try removing these bolts?

Thanks,
-Eric

Old 10-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Might check at the Toyotanation.com website, more members, more input.

Before going to a dealer would check with auto repair shops that do body work.

Are the bolts stripped or the threads in the nut plate that hold the bolts on stripped.

You may be able to drill the bolt heads off and remove the part it holds on. Then use vice grips to pull on the bolt while turning to reengage non-damaged treads and unscrew the bolt.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 AM

Thanks Joey. I did a google search as well as over at Toyotanation and came up empty handed. Didn't want to post the question in two different boards, but I might not have to any more.

I worked on it yesterday and jammed a flathead between the striker and the body to create tension on the bolt head. Eventually, I got it out. Both the bolt and the nut plate behind were badly damaged (probably due to the process of removal.) I think it was adjusted in the past (hood didn't seem to sit right) and may have been damaged. Anyway, the nut plate turned out to be a funny shape and it has dropped into a crevice and I'm working on fishing it out, but not yet successfull. It looks like the threads are metric and slightly smaller than a 1/4 inch. Once I manage to fish out the plate, I'm going to take some pictures and try putting in a new 1/4-inch thread. It might be usefull to someone in the future as I couldn't find anything on the web.

Cheers,
-Eric

Old 10-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a good plan.

The old treads would be metric.

If going 1/4 inch, suggest a fine thread from more thread contact area with the plate.