DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

2002 Camry Trunk Latch Diagram?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 10:11 AM
Default 2002 Camry Trunk Latch Diagram?

Hello - The trunk latch on my 2002 Camry started having issues so I took off to clean. When I took the bolts off to release the latch from the trunk a broken spring fell out. That must have been the issue with the operation of the spring. I took the plastic housing off the lower part of the actuator butI can't find a place where it would seem a spring should go. Does anyone have access to a diagram of the latch that might show this detail? Hoping to find a replacement spring. Attached is a photo of the assembly without hte plastic housing. Thanks

Jackwagon

Old 12-31-2021, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Toyota doesn't appear to have a diagram.Can only speculate.

Is one end of the spring broken off? Typically the spring would have a hook at each end. If one end of the spring is broken off this would make it impossible to reinstall. This could be the reason you are having difficulty.

Assume one end of the spring attaches to the movable arm/lever to hold it in the closed position. Look at the lever arm having the hook end that engages the latch rod on the car body. There should be a bent tab with a hole fabricated into the arm to attach one hook end of the spring. The other tab would be within reach of the springs length with stretched. The spring keeps the latch in the locked position.

Try to find another spring. The internet may be your friend here.

Ebay and other sites sell the trunk latch actuator for around $60 new and $33 used.

Same part is supposed to be used from 2002 to 2006 for Camry. Could also be use in Avalon and perhaps Lexus. Check part number.

Old 12-31-2021, 05:05 PM

Thank you for the reply. One end of the spring is broke - the hook is missing. It’s clear that one hook goes on the moveable lever but the anchor point for the other hook isn’t obvious. I’ll keep looking. Thanks again.

Old 01-01-2022, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Suggest you look under the black cover having letters on it..

Find the attachment hole on the lever arm. From the face of the bent tab having the attachment hole extend a line normal to the tab and towards the cover.. One this line somewhere should be the other spring attachment hole. Typically when a spring is at rest (not extended) the design has the spring end hooks 90 degrees to the tabs with the attachment hole in it.