DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

2003 Camry Transmission U241E with Raised Letters, or Stamped Identification

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 10:10 AM
Default 2003 Camry Transmission U241E with Raised Letters, or Stamped Identification

I have been having some problems with my 2003 Camry Se Auto trans. I have started looking around for a used transmission, and I notice most salvage yards list two models for US Made Cars.

The Options are U241E Raised Letters, or Stamped.

When I'm under my car, I can see the letters U241E in raised letters like it was part of the casting. I'm not sure what the Stamped Version looks like.

I'm curious if anyone knows what's different between these transmissions.

There are several of the stamped version transmissions with under 100,000 miles available locally at reasonable price, but none of Raised Letters.

Thanks,
Lou

Old 11-18-2014, 04:37 AM

my research didnt come up with raised or stamped numbers

internals would be the same on a U241E

https://www.camryforums.com/forum/di...-2014-a-49741/

Old 11-19-2014, 09:20 AM

Thanks! I just ordered Toyota Intelligent Tester II from China. I'm going to try run diagnostics, and have transmission relearn shift points. I figure I will need it, if I decide to replace transmission.

I have a close friend who is a GM Auto-Trans tech. He is convinced that my problem was caused by bad solenoid, and now that I replaced that solenoid the transmission needs to relearn??

I'm not sure, but thought this would be a logical step before swapping transmission.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Please post back on the results.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:06 AM

I received my Intelligent Tester II from China this morning. I reset the ECT and started driving the car to allow it to relearn when to shift. The car seems to drive much better, I had removed and tested the Solenoids, and replaced one of the Solenoids.

I was having problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd. If I was driving uphill approx 30 MPH and I would let off throttle, and then step on throttle the trans would appear to slip, and then catch. I would find this happening when driving in traffic.

It didn't trigger a CEL.

I'm hoping that it's fixed, but I'm not sure.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

I hope it is fixed! Keep us posted, please.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:39 PM

Well it's not fixed! It seems to drive fine at highway speeds since I replaced Solenoids, but it has problems when I'm in Start-Stop traffic around 25-30 mph. When I coast and then step on gas, it sometimes makes a grinding noise for a split second and then catches.

I'm actively looking for a replacement transmission at local salvage yards. I'm not having any luck finding Raised Letter Version Locally, but there are several Non-raised Letter Versions.

I can pay to have a used transmission shipped from another salvage yard, to one close to me. I'm starting to feel the pressure because it gets cold here, and I don't want to have to swap transmission in extreme cold. I have a garage, but it's not insulated. So, I think I should do it before weather gets worse.

Does anyone have any suggestions, that I might be missing something.

I do like the Toyota IT II I bought. It seems to be pretty slick!

Old 12-03-2014, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

At this point, I would get a tranny shipped to you and stop playing the guessing game. If it is getting cold, and you are on a time frame, and need the car running tip-top, get the tranny. If I knew more about them I would try to help you diagnose but auto trannies is far from my specialty.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:29 AM

I found U241E with raised letters 65000 miles, and getting it shipped. It should be here next week. I'm still curious what the difference between Raised Letters, and Stamped.

I asked guys at Salvage yard, and they said "they must be different."

Old 12-03-2014, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

I guess it might be one of those weird things.
Let us know how it all goes and maybe snap a few pics of the process.

Quick Reply: 2003 Camry Transmission U241E with Raised Letters, or Stamped Identification