DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

2009 Camry radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 07:22 PM
Default 2009 Camry radio problems

Hi, first time posting. My radio volume **** works intermittently and I have noticed a squeal when the radio is playing. I was thinking of buying a used radio, but am concerned that I will run into the same problems. Also, I would like to add a Bluetooth unit to stream from my phone. I was considering an aftermarket radio, but some can get pretty pricey (and look ugly in the dash). Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-28-2023, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

The squeal might be bad alternator. Does the squeal vary with engine RPM?

For the volume control do an internet search on Toyota volume control issues. If the control part design uses a sliding contract the contacts might be able to be cleaned with a spray can contact cleaner. The **** is removed and the cleaner sprayed into the part via a tube that connects to the can;s nozzle.

For Bluetooth suggest going to a Toyota site which deals these problems as they can be simple or complicated. Some online Toyota dealers provide information at their website for pairing a phone..

Old 04-30-2023, 12:09 PM

Thanks for your response.

The squeal does vary with the engine RPM. From what I have read, the alternator is the probable cause, as I have noted some lights flickering at times as well.

I’m not sure I will pull out the radio to clean the volume contacts at this time, as I discovered the steering wheel controls still work.

if I do end up pulling the radio out, I will probably add a BT45TOY Bluetooth interface.

QUOTE=toyomoho;109255]The squeal might be bad alternator. Does the squeal vary with engine RPM?

For the volume control do an internet search on Toyota volume control issues. If the control part design uses a sliding contract the contacts might be able to be cleaned with a spray can contact cleaner. The **** is removed and the cleaner sprayed into the part via a tube that connects to the can;s nozzle.

For Bluetooth suggest going to a Toyota site which deals these problems as they can be simple or complicated. Some online Toyota dealers provide information at their website for pairing a phone..[/QUOTE]

Old 05-01-2023, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

If the lights are flickering then the stereo may be drawing too much power.

Read up on installing a capacitor.

The **** may just pull out on the volume control. Check Youtube video's which may have instructions.