DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

3SFE 92 Camry Sv32 Will only start with starting fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 05:50 AM
Default 3SFE 92 Camry Sv32 Will only start with starting fluid

Hi good day guys ,why would my car start with only starting fluid after sitting for 2 years ,it will idle ,the pump works fine ,should the the pump prime the engine once in "ON" position . Also it revs with a misfire ,but idles smoothly ,any solutions? thank you guys in advance.

Old 02-08-2021, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Check if the engine has a cold start injector and it works. The injector injects additional fuel when engine is cranking.

The pump only runs when the starter is cranking or engine is running. Try jumping the pump to prime the system prior to starting.

These engines tend to have ign coil problems over time. The coil case cracks, etc.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:00 PM

engine coil works fine , how do you go about testing the cold start injector?

Old 01-19-2022, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

The injector is just an on or off nozzle that sprays gas into the intake. Remove it from the intake, crank engine over and determine if gas sprays out.

It is on a timer to shut off after a few seconds. Perhaps the timer is not working.

If the engine is dying check the intake air control valve. This valve bypassed air around the throttle plate to control idle. Also clean the MAF sensor

Old 05-07-2022, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The injector is just an on or off nozzle that sprays gas into the intake. Remove it from the intake, crank engine over and determine if gas sprays out.

It is on a timer to shut off after a few seconds. Perhaps the timer is not working.

If the engine is dying check the intake air control valve. This valve bypassed air around the throttle plate to control idle. Also clean the MAF sensor
Where can you find such,I have this type of engine

Old 05-08-2022, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

While the Camry 2.0L started out with a cold start injector the 1992 may no longer have one. It's not listed anymore. See link below for photo.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=6032&jsn=460

The part would bolt to the intake manifold with the black electrical plug and fuel line hook up on the outside. Look for this and a fuel line going to the part if the part is there.

Your photo shows a coolant temp sensor that does have wiring going to it (no wiring harness plug). The sensor is on the coolant pipe return bolted to the head. Follow the upper radiator hose to this pipe. The engine has two sensors as shown in the photos. One sensor is for the temp gauge on the dash and the other is for the engine computer. Does coolant temp gauge work, if so then the sensor is for the engine computer. Check this out. The sensor without a wiring connection appears to be for the computer. If not connected it can cause engine issues.

The issue might also be failing fuel pump or bleed down check valve. This car should have a small black plastic box with flip up cover bolted to the passengers strut tower. Inside the box are electrical terminals. On the underside of the cover is layout of the terminals with identification. Find the FP and B+ terminals and connect them with a section of wire or bent paper clip. When connected the fuel pump will operate when the ign key is turned to ON. When starting the engine and normally have stating issues, turn the ign key to ON for 5-7 seconds before turning it to start and determine if engine now starts.

Old 05-08-2022, 12:14 PM

I can confirm the fuel pump turns on when the key is in on position ,I've checked this and the wiring

Old 05-08-2022, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

When the fuel pump is turned on prior to cranking over the engine does the engine now start?

What about the coolant sensor that does have a wiring connector to it?

Old 05-09-2022, 06:01 PM

engine does not start at all ,i starting to think its probably the cold start injector ( even if there might not have one )

Last edited by Jovd; 05-10-2022 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:47 AM

Keep us posted since I have a 95 in case I get the same problem especially those engine coils. Thanks

Quick Reply: 3SFE 92 Camry Sv32 Will only start with starting fluid