DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

96 camry power window short circuit

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Default 96 camry power window short circuit

my fuse under the steering column keeps popping when i hit the power windows, after a couple of times of using it.....any suggestions, by the way i used a great thread on this website that showed me where the fuse was!!! it was perfect... i dont think i would have found it on my own.. thanks to my fellow camry owners for your help... this is my second camry, best car i have ever owned,,, my last one had 240k when i put it to rest and this one currently has 235k... oil changes , brakes , timing belt, water and oil pump, along with the rear struts its all these great cars ever needed, to bad my 2007 ram 1500, has already has more issues than these cars... thanks again for your help and stay safe!

Old 03-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Do you have the specific name of the fuse?

Often the wiring going between the drivers door and chassis starts to fray and become damaged due to constant door usage. This can result in all kinds of window and power door lock problems.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:46 AM

I moved the wires behind the fuse itself and it seems to have corrected the problem, thanks.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Default power windows and tripped fuse

Let me share with you a similar problem I recently had with my Camry '90: A friend of mine with a camry '91 told me that the electronocs block in the armrest driverside didn't work, so he got another switch block from the junk yard and plugged it in, which caused all four windows and door locks to malfunction. It just so happened that he suggested to test that particular bad switch block in my car by uninstalling the good one in my car against the supposedly bad one in his car. No wonder that caused a fault in all four windows and door locks in my car. Being rather illiterate what reading and understanding car electronoc circuits are concerned It took me forever to fix the problem. First folks suggested to check all fuses; because I did not know which fuse(s) control the power windows and door lock I checked all visible fuses but found no fault. Until I realized that I had to remove the entire panel at the left of the driver's left foot to visualize all components at that fuse box. Higher up I noticed two circuit brakers, which I first missed when checking fuses. One of them had tripped. Upon resetting that circuit brakers all windows and doorlocks just worked fine. Question: Does anyone know a really good book on general car electrics? I have one from the Haynes series but don't find it particularly helpful, particularly what the reading of circuits is concerned.