DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

97 camry need to remove gear shift trim????

Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Default 97 camry need to remove gear shift trim????

Simply want to remove the plastic cover to replace the burnt out bulb in the prnd21 window. Popped out the little insert and expected to see a screw. Instead there is a mystery button that seem to depress but does nothing. can see no screws or fasteners. how do i dig in to get to the indicator bulb?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

The button changes the trans shift points slightly.

The oval plastic trim cover around the shifter is held in by four plastic clips built-in to the cover. Two clips on each side located forward or back of the inside corners of the trim.

Insert a thin bladed screw driver, putty knife, etc between the side cover and center console main body unit to force then gently pull the cover up. Repeat for all for clips.

Tape the blade before using to prevent damaging the trim.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:56 AM

Thank you Toymoho. Have not tried it yet but will today. Now the button has me intrigued. Being that there is no indicator, how do you know what the settings are doing? How many pushes till your back to factory default? Is there somewhere to read more about this surprise? My wife and I (she passed it on to me when she moved to an 03 camry v6) have been driving this little trooper for 14 years, and the button is a WOW thing.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:04 AM

Thanks again Toyomho, worked well once the fear of breaking something was removed. Now however Im faced with finding no bulb. There is a second level to crack through. The PRND12 is still in the way. I removed the gold Phillips screw from the dashboard side anchor point. Now the entire unit moves easily. There seems to be 2 trigger lock tabs on the drivers side. One moves not too bad as I can pry against the console box. The forward one is a bear and will not release. What secrets can you provide me today to uncover that elusive indicator bulb without hearing the dreaded SNAP #$%^&@ ? I'm ready to drive to the dealership and ask the shop forman, whom here is a really nice and helpful fella. But my ego prevents me from asking a question about what is probably a very very simple task.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

The link below may help, changing a bulb can be a pain.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...hting-diy.html

ETC = Electronic Transmission Control

All it does is raise the shift points forcing the RPM to go higher before shifting gears.

The system is either on or off (button out or in) and no extra's or driver control such pushing the button XX times obtains another different shift pattern.

Something on the dash should light up when the switch is out, such as a PWR icon (power mode).

MPG will drop when in power mode due to shifting at higher RPM.

Why Toyota included in is unknown, perhaps give the illusion of being sporty.

Last edited by toyomoho; 04-12-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Default Thanks again TOYOMHO

Yes I agree. My father-in-law bought one of the very first gen CAMRYS. It had a button right on the center consule, with three positions. You could select power, economy or normal and defiantly feel the difference. Why this button is hidden in such a spot and never explained is kinda goofy.
Now back to current problem.

Now I need to explain here. I first hit quick response and wrote the above note. Then after removing the panel and finding the second level........
When I refreshed you had already posted your great response.
So I'm just explaining this post not wanting to look like a pushy boor. Really appreciate your help and guidance. Thanks Heaps.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

See TOYO post above your last post that includes link to TN site having photos of job.

Task is tedious but can be done.

The black and fake wood trim cover around shifter is also held in by built-in plastic clips. You can clearly see the rectangle slot holes for the clips in the photos once the trim panel is removed.

Use the flat bladed tool (taped over) to slide between this panel edge and the main console body to force the clip to disengage then gently pull up.

There are 4 clips, 2 on each side of the trim panel.

Last edited by toyomoho; 04-12-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:52 AM

Thanks again. Dont know how I missed that link except I was too eager to apologize for what could have been misread as being rude.

The photos are fantastic, I was getting close but I was still stumped. Now I'm on the right track and as a bonus I can play around with the transmission button.

You Sir are a very valued resource. Live well.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Have thick skin so don't worry. This job can be most frustrating, you are not the first to become frustrated.

I modified may last post to include reference to removing the center panel which has those build in clips, thus read this post again.

Good luck, take your time.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:33 PM

One tiny edit needs to be added to the photos on the how to
on the photo that has the caption......Put the screwdriver below this part of the black gearbox cover and use it to gently pull the cover up..
There is a release trigger that has to be pushed in for this cover to come up. Use a very small flat blade screwdriver to depress the tab then pull ststraight up on the housing. You can see the catch slot in the photo

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 camry need to remove gear shift trim????